What reputation do the SDA 3.1's have?

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    @K_M
    I actually have run into Polk haters myself. Never stopped me from my thirty plus year love affair with them though............ :)

I have learned, that "Haters" tends to mean, anyone that does not share one's view.

In that case you must hate just about everyone here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    @K_M
    I actually have run into Polk haters myself. Never stopped me from my thirty plus year love affair with them though............ :)

I have learned, that "Haters" tends to mean, anyone that does not share one's view.

I never hate anyone.
    I am quite certain you are loved by all.

• F1nut
    Options
    I never hate anyone.

Ah well, since you don't share the views of most here and since you seem to think that those who don't share the views of others are haters there was only one logical conclusion, but I'm glad to hear you don't hate anyone.

Good gawd, I hope not.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I love you, Jesse. That's all that matters.
  • K_M
    Options
    I never hate anyone.

Ah well, since you don't share the views of most here and since you seem to think that those who don't share the views of others are haters there was only one logical conclusion, but I'm glad to hear you don't hate anyone.

Good gawd, I hope not.

I meant I see that often on forums.
    Hate seems to have become synonymous with disagree.

Maybe that clarifies it better?

I see you are trying your hand at humour. It will get better with practice...!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Scale is where some SDA's differ. You will never get the kind of scale from CRS's that you will with the bigger boys, despite the CRS's sounding larger than life in the soundstage aspects.

Same goes for the 1.2 vs the 1C or 2B, etc. The 3.1TL's are very nice speakers in and of themselves. Each line or rather generation seems to incrementally improve all aspects (subtle) but the sum total gives the later generations the edge.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have a fully modded TL'ed set of CRS+'s with RDO-198's and compared to Russ's Stock 3.1TL's I preferred his 3.1.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • F1nut
    Options
    I never hate anyone.

Good gawd, I hope not.

You always seem to be explaining yourself, which should tell you something.

There was no attempt at humor on my part.

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @K_M

I think you just described yourself there F1.

lol
  • K_M
    Options
    I never hate anyone.

Good gawd, I hope not.

You always seem to be explaining yourself, which should tell you something.

There was no attempt at humor on my part.

Yes, It does.
  • K_M
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Scale is where some SDA's differ. You will never get the kind of scale from CRS's that you will with the bigger boys, despite the CRS's sounding larger than life in the soundstage aspects.

Same goes for the 1.2 vs the 1C or 2B, etc. The 3.1TL's are very nice speakers in and of themselves. Each line or rather generation seems to incrementally improve all aspects (subtle) but the sum total gives the later generations the edge.

H9

We have speakers in different houses, so not even remotely able to compare, but that sounds about right.
  • F1nut
    Options
    @K_M

I think you just described yourself there F1.

lol

There's your problem, thinking. It doesn't work well for you.

President of Club Polk

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options

No it doesn't.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    lawdogg wrote: »

No it doesn't.

It does for some people. God forbid you ever disagree with some on this forum.

lol
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I love you, Jesse. That's all that matters.

Awww Russ has the spring time bug and is feeling a little "twitterpated"
    https://youtu.be/0Ivvmkxghtw
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I love you too, Ron
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Gatecrasher
    Options
    Of course there are some exceptions.

lol
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Tito
    Bring me some tissue :'(
  • analogluvr
    Options
    I have a few long time audio file friends and I can attest to the fact they definitely look down on the polk brand. It is seen as mid fi by many of The typical audiophile crowd. I am looking forward to serving them a large plate of crow. Unfortunately some of them only hear what they believe not what they actually here.
  • K_M
    Options
    analogluvr wrote: »
    I have a few long time audio file friends and I can attest to the fact they definitely look down on the polk brand. It is seen as mid fi by many of The typical audiophile crowd. I am looking forward to serving them a large plate of crow. Unfortunately some of them only hear what they believe not what they actually here.

Same here.
    We have found that only the Lsi lines are seen as somewhat audiophile by friends that are into other brands.

But I guess Polk always made a mostly affordable but nice sounding speakers, was never meant to compete with the better or best stuff, but more an affordable product.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Now there's some thread range-love/hate/insult/disagreement! [lol]
    But i can see how some may not care for them as they can sound muddied somewhat on some recordings and perhaps its just me or my 1b's but one of my pet peeves in comparison to my other conventional speakers which when placed out more in the room the imaging seems to be placed about 2 feet behind the spks whereas the 1b's I assume because of their recommended placement and design seems to stay between them
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Polk and Carver were both affordable "entry level high end". Which is why so many high end snobs have always poo poo'd both brands. The two of them put together have always had a certain synergy that I rarely saw matched. B & W and Krell come to mind when it comes to that kind of synergy. My 3.1TL's prior to my ongoing mods SING with my Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. I cannot wait to hear what they sound like when I am done with the mods (*see my sda upgrade thread*)
  • K_M
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Polk is a mid-fi brand. Their SDA lines were more audiophile-geared, but Polk itself doesn't play well in the high end. Their bread and butter is in entry level to mid-fi. This isn't a fault - its just what it is.

As far as I'm concerned, the LSiM line was a complete failure. They aren't bad speakers, but they did nothing to set themselves apart at the full retail pricing. The game has changed considerably in the last 20 years. However, their new T series and Signature Series are exceptional at their price points and give great promise to a new flagship line. Hopefully the new line won't compete at the $4,000 price point though.

Surely you must be kidding.
    The SDA speakers (which we own a few) were simply glorified mid-fi speakers if anything. And we DO like them!

They were big and had a lot of drivers, but did not have great construction or high quality drivers or anything that made them appeal to audiophiles.

People who had smaller Polks wanted to own the bigger polks.

At least the Lsi and Lsim line they leaned towards better quality, precise drivers, and so on.
  • heiney9
    Options
    I sold them back in the day and I assure you the SDA's were audiophile and above mid-fi. The key to selling them to the more discerning audiophile was to demo them to show their true potential.

They truly show their pedigree because when you update the x-overs and add high end electronics they keep sounding better and better as the gear moves up the chain. Mid-fi speakers reach a wall that no better electronics or updated parts can coax them to sound better.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I sold them back in the day and I assure you the SDA's were audiophile and above mid-fi. The key to selling them to the more discerning audiophile was to demo them to show their true potential.

They truly show their pedigree because when you update the x-overs and add high end electronics they keep sounding better and better as the gear moves up the chain. Mid-fi speakers reach a wall that no better electronics or updated parts can coax them to sound better.

H9

I guess our definitions may be different.
    You are trying to convince me that something I own, is better than I think it is.

I simply find the Lsi and Lsim lines much more geared towards audiophiles.

The SDA's we own, while nice in some ways, are simply not quite there.
    I think the main reason, they are simply up scaled (for the most part) smaller Polks.

Nothing wrong with that at all, and I do like them for sure, but just do not see them in any way (maybe other than price back in the day) competing with truly audiophile or higher end speakers.

I see them as a high priced fancy mid-fi speaker.
    Nothing wrong with that, but they are not B+W 801's.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    K_M
    They are speaking in terms when they came out in the 80's.

Take a look at some of the speakers from 78-85, nothing really special in build quality back then internally/externally , from almost all the manufacturers

• F1nut
    Options
    Thank God they are not B&W 801's because they are everything a speaker shouldn't be.

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    Options
    Thank God they are not B&W 801's because they are everything a speaker shouldn't be.

I never had or heard them but a lot of people seem to like them.

There always seems to be a lot for sale though (and they usually aren't cheap).

When you make a statement like you did F1, you have a lot more credibility if you actually say why you feel the way you do. That's why a lot of people on here don't take you seriously sometimes. They just figure you are arguing simply for argument's sake.

Not me of course.

lol

So why not elaborate? What sucks about the B&W 801s? Is it all of them or just certain models? I think they made like 3 or 4 different generations didn't they?
  • heiney9
    Options
    F1 has made his thoughts known on 801's. I don't think everytime someone makes a comment they have to rehash the same old info.

Also not a B&W fan.

K_M, I'm flattered you think I care what you think. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

H9