Phono pre amp

Options
Looking to move up from my standard Project phono box to something which can accept either a MM or MC cart. Also open to suggestions posted here....here's my current rig:
LSiM703
Cary SLP03 pre
B&K200.2 amp
Music Hall mmf 7 turntable
Ortofon Red which will be upgraded to Blue or Bronze

Thanks folks....

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How serious a piece are you looking for?
    Any sense of what you feel may be lacking, or what you're after?

Generally speaking, I really enjoy the Vincent PHO-8 and Lounge Audio LCRMK3, but that may not offer enough of a bump up from where you currently are.

Running two different setups with these and haven't done any critical swapping yet, so can't speak to which phono pre I like better. I find the PHO-8 from a Technics SL1210 with Shure M97xE is nice and smooth on a B&K AVR 507 with 703s. The Lounge runs from a 1200 with a Grado Prestige Green. It seems to be a bit more accurate, picks up a tad more surface noise too. Not quite as laid back overall, but that could be the P5 + Parasound amp, too. Also on 703's.

Maybe the Vincent PHO-700?
    Budgie gets some good marks, as well.

One thing I do notice with running phono is that I have to bump the volume significantly over that of a digital source. I've had this experience on all test systems so far with all phono pre's I've tried. MM/MI carts. Do MC carts with SUTs perform similarly?
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    I don't have one for sale, but if you see a PS Audio GCPH for under $500 on the used market, snatch it up.

Can be easily adjusted to fit almost any cart and SQ is amazing.

I've used mine in a variety of situations, but directly into the amp has always been hard to argue against in my rigs.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    I am liking my Pass Labs Xono...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I guess I'm looking for one which images better / 3D effect....while not being over analytical, as most of my albums are older and not necessarily pristine condition. As far as price.....something used which would run 400 to 500ish.....I don't want to shoot too low on this purchase and being upgrading again in the near future. Hope that all makes sense.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I don't have one for sale, but if you see a PS Audio GCPH for under $500 on the used market, snatch it up.

Can be easily adjusted to fit almost any cart and SQ is amazing.

I've used mine in a variety of situations, but directly into the amp has always been hard to argue against in my rigs.
    There's one on the Bay from GB....but I'm always a bit weary of all that extra handling during shipping.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, that makes perfect sense, goals and not shooting too low.
    That PS Audio Paul mentioned looks stout. I like that.

At your mention of collection condition was going to ask whether you'd gotten serious about cleaning, and saw you're using a Record Doc, so you have that covered.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I guess I'm looking for one which images better / 3D effect....while not being over analytical, as most of my albums are older and not necessarily pristine condition. As far as price.....something used which would run 400 to 500ish.....I don't want to shoot too low on this purchase and being upgrading again in the near future. Hope that all makes sense.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    How serious a piece are you looking for?
    Any sense of what you feel may be lacking, or what you're after?

Generally speaking, I really enjoy the Vincent PHO-8 and Lounge Audio LCRMK3, but that may not offer enough of a bump up from where you currently are.

Running two different setups with these and haven't done any critical swapping yet, so can't speak to which phono pre I like better. I find the PHO-8 from a Technics SL1210 with Shure M97xE is nice and smooth on a B&K AVR 507 with 703s. The Lounge runs from a 1200 with a Grado Prestige Green. It seems to be a bit more accurate, picks up a tad more surface noise too. Not quite as laid back overall, but that could be the P5 + Parasound amp, too. Also on 703's.

Maybe the Vincent PHO-700?
    Budgie gets some good marks, as well.

One thing I do notice with running phono is that I have to bump the volume significantly over that of a digital source. I've had this experience on all test systems so far with all phono pre's I've tried. MM/MI carts. Do MC carts with SUTs perform similarly?

IMHO, the Shure & Grado are both "warm/lush" sounding from what I've read & heard. I know that the Nagaoka MP110 + Schiit Mani is supposed to be a very good combo. Way under your price range but the Mani handles both MM & MC. Sometimes you don't have to $pend a lot to get what you're after & sometimes you do.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I may just give the Schiit a try since Im a big fan of their DAC.... especially if I can scoop up a used one. That and a Ortofon Blue stylus may be the budget way to go....
  • msg
    Options
    This is kind of a timely post, you looking for a phono pre. I was cleaning some vinyl this past weekend, testing out the new USRCM I built from Brian's kit.

I was never really very impressed with my front 2ch system where vinyl was concerned, and so I hadn't really used it much. While cleaning, I also decided to try some different cables just for ease while I was swapping in the Budgie on a whim.

I went from the Lounge LCR with MIT S3 ICs to the Budgie with Doug's DIY Furez cables, and experienced a profound improvement. The LCR/MIT combo sounded very flat, lifeless, compressed, and strained. Just a big muddled mess. With the Budgie/Doug's Furez combo, everything brightened up immediately. Congestion gone, greater clarity, separation and articulation. Bass is tight and punchy. Presentation is very smooth, and I noticed some details I'd not heard before.

General System Setup
    • Technics SL-1200 w/Grado Green; oe captive cables
    • Park's Budgie phono preamp; oe tubes
    • Doug's DIY Furez IC's
    • Parasound P5
    • MIT S3 XLR
    • Parasound HCA-3500
    • LSiM703s on Pangea DS400 stands (mass loaded with sand)

I still haven't figured out what's going on there. The only thing that's different is the phono pre and the cables. Synergy? I'm going to need to experiment a bit more, and try the same cables on the Lounge LCR to try to determine whether it's the signature of the LCR or something to do with cables and output of the LCR. Whatever it is, it's not a good combination.

On the contrary, in a secondary system, MIT S3's coming off a Vincent PHO-8 to a B&K AVR 507 sounds better than the front system. Not as good as the Budgie/Doug's combination on the P5/HCA-3500 in the main space, though. For the first time ever, I experienced some depth in imaging. It happened with the background percussion in one of the tracks from Chris Isaak's Forever Blue on vinyl - not even a particularly good quality pressing. It seemed to have some depth, and sounded like it was coming from a bit further back than the main instruments and vocals, which seemed more upfront and easily localized. I thought I was making it up, but it was undeniable and repeatable. I also, for the first time, experienced a few details that seemed to be coming from just outside the width of the speakers. I've always read about this, but never experienced it myself.

If you know anyone near you who has a Budgie, or if you can get one to try, you might give it a shot. I was kinda meh on it since mine was down for a while pending sending in for Shannon to check out for a problem I had with it pretty much right off the bat, but on a better system with clean vinyl, it's been, to date, one of my best listening experiences yet.

Shannon was great about that check and repair, btw; super friend and fast.

Just wanted to throw that out there since it may be a contender given the goals you've mentioned. I'm in love with this setup and vinyl all over again, between the Budgie, cables, and vinyl cleaning tools.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I use a Budgie with some vintage tesla tubes and some nice low capacitance cables. Hard to beat for the money.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    Options

m69k1k5eue5m.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    m69k1k5eue5m.jpg

Cool pic! Love it!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Options
    Jus' a little slice of the vinyl experience.
    It's the mood, you just can't help yourself when it's right.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I use a Budgie with some vintage tesla tubes and some nice low capacitance cables. Hard to beat for the money.
    Are you running the Budgie through your Cary SLP03.....I thought that was your pre for some reason....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    m69k1k5eue5m.jpg

oooh, that is pretty.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Are you running the Budgie through your Cary SLP03.....I thought that was your pre for some reason....

No sir... into the Parasound P5 pre.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    The Vincent PHO-8 is only like $299 now and i like it has a external power supply housed in a separate chassis. and the PHO-700 has a tube for $499
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIPHO8
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    edited April 2017
    Options
    opps double trouble so how about the PHO-700 for $99 by vincent :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• kevhed72
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Is this an offer. sir?
  • voltz
    Options
    I had a double post so I thought I'd post the price of the even better pho-700 which cost $499 and had a typo. as i don't own one but want one.

my bad sorry Kev!

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options

99$ could have caused a Black Friday riot.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Guess it was one of those 1 minute sales :/
    Snooze....you lose
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    Options
    I made Kev a offer on my PHO-8.

• msg
    Options
    I bet you could mod two to make a PHO-16.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I made Kev a offer on my PHO-8.
    PM sent.....thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I bet you could mod two to make a PHO-16.

Series or parallel :*
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    Options
    Series... NO! Parallel!
    Too late (stab)
    I disabled signatures.