Nest Thermostat

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,256
Anyone have a Nest Thermostat? Our utility company is currently rebating half the price of the latest V3, so I thought I'd give it a try and just ordered one. We current have an analog manual thermostat, so this will probably be a big change, and hopefully an improvement?

I like the self programming feature, as well as the Amazon Echo interactivity which is neat, and they claim 10%-15% energy savings a year which I would also respect. I know it has motion sensing and will cut the temperature if it doesn't see someone for a while, beyond it's normal programming for times of day. Maybe it'll be more of a wow device and less useful, but at my brother's house it's cool when you walk by and it flashes the time and the weather for the day.

61W6Q8xIxwL._SL1000_.jpg

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Do you have a single unit?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Can you adjust the auto cut time?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Our church had them for a while. They took them out. Not very successful in that setting.
    That's the only data point I have.

We have pretty plain vanilla Honeywell programmable thermostats. I am pretty happy with them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited April 2017
    Google doesn't need to know my housing parameters. Get a digital honeywell programmable
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Google doesn't need to know my housing parameters. Get a digital honeywell programmable

FWIW, I kind of agree with this sentiment.
    But, then again, I would.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

FWIW, I kind of agree with this sentiment.
    But, then again, I would.

I agree also, many other products can do many of the same functions without having your info transferred to another party.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I have one, and I hate it.

For over a year now it will not connect to my apps and refuses to link to my account.

Nest cannot figure out why. I would get rid of it, but it still functions as a thermostat...

When it actually worked, it was nice.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    $25 Honeywell manual for me! I don't need to complicate my home mechanicals. Much easier to trouble shoot when having HVAC trouble. Also, the last thing I want to do is operate my garage door with my phone so someone can hack it and get into my house.
  • mhardy6647
    There seems to be a pattern developing here ;)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Get the better Honeywell Adaptive Intelligent T-Stat. You'll never want any other.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    I have one and I like it. Not sure if I am saving any money or not. With the rebate, it only set me back $100. I have the 3rd generation. I need to add a second one upstairs.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2017
    I got one for free when we upgraded our ADT stuff. It works with their platform and seems to work decent.

I particularly like the "Heat/Cool" setting where you specific a range that if below X it heats, and above Y it cools.

It also tells us how many hours of heating and cooling we used in a given day. I haven't looked at the actual NEST app to see what other data it could give us, but we enjoy it a lot more than the Honeywell semi programmable unit we had previously.

Its also nice to be able check and adjust the temp at work to save more.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I've removed more of these thermostats from unsatisfied customers than all others combined.

The biggest complaint is it's learning mode. Come home early, or take a day off, manually adjust the temp, and an hour later it is back to its original programming.

Really bad with heat pumps. I tell customers all the time, if it's 60 degrees or above, turn on emergency heating to get the chilll out of your house. Really high refrigerant pressures when the temp is that high outside, and can contribute to refrigerant leaks. The Nest won't let you run emergency heat. Heat pump fails in heating season, you have to reconfigure the Nest to get heat.

Let alone all the internet glitches these things go through. Probably waste a few hundred hours a year on calls for them.

Get a wi-go enabled Honeywell. Top of the line, 9000 series, is usually cheaper than the nest. The have other less expensive options.

I would never put one in my home, and I'm a certified installer by Nest. I only install the dealer version, and the consumer version is even worse.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    We are on our second one (old one stayed at the old house at the buyer's request).
    And we love it.

You can bypass the motion detect portion of it and instead use your phone proximity.
    My wife is the primary "user" so we base it off her phone. It has paid for itself a couple of times over in savings.

Of course, with anything electronic, YMMV.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There seems to be a pattern developing here ;)

What pattern? Oh, you mean that all the old curmudgeons get up earlier and post first! :p
  • mhardy6647
    oh-dark-thirty on Tuesdays for me -- whippersnappers ;)
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited April 2017
    I have two. They pretty much suck and have been a total waste of money. Since I work from home, the stupid learning characteristics are worthless. The temperature range is stupid...three to four and a half degrees is a **** ton in Texas with our humidity..

I've ended up using them as standard units with iPad access to the temperature setting. Otherwise, worthless.

Their main objective is to supposedly save energy by lowering the temp when you are out.. if you are not out, it don't work. And, it doesn't understand that in Texas, you heat at night and cool in the day in the "winter" months and want to keep it at the same temperature regardless...you are as much trying to control the humidity as the temperature...

All in all, they suck. BAD.
  • rpf65
    DollarDave wrote: »
    I have two. They pretty much suck and have been a total waste of money. Since I work from home, the stupid learning characteristics are worthless. The temperature range is stupid...three to four and a half degrees is a **** ton in Texas with our humidity..

I've ended up using them as standard units with iPad access to the temperature setting. Otherwise, worthless.

Their main objective is to supposedly save energy by lowering the temp when you are out.. if you are not out, it don't work. And, it doesn't understand that in Texas, you heat at night and cool in the day in the "winter" months and want to keep it at the same temperature regardless...you are as much trying to control the humidity as the temperature...

All in all, they suck. BAD.

Try the Honeywell th8320. From an ac tech who works in Austin.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    My brother who lives in Texas gave me the recommendation, so like anything I guess "your mileage may very". We do have decent in/out schedules at my house, so I'll give it a try when it's delivered next week. Also ready through yalls comments, we don't have A/C, and living in Seattle, would be following a "normal" heating routine per season.

I appreciate all the feed back and will give an update once it's in use.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    There's many other options out there. Utility companies will sometimes give the rebate on any wireless controlled thermostat. Although I bought mine used (no rebate) I have a programmable and Z-wave controlled unit. Works great and I am the only one that has access to it.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited April 2017
    We have one in our current house and we love it. We had two in our previous house and left them for the new owners when we sold it. We have another house in Colorado and I plan on installing one there. We haven't had any of the problems that people have listed here. I can easily set it up to any time and temp that I want. And I can control it from my computer or my phone when I am away. One of the features that I like the most is that I can look back and see how often the auxiliary heat is being used, if at all. This way I can judge if the heat pump is working correctly or not. I don't use the "learning" feature, I just set it up to the temps and times that I know I want. Very easy to do on the phone app or computer. Never had problems in the three years that we have had them. I'd give them "5 stars".

The joy that these thermostats bring to our family is only matched by by the joy that our "soft close" toilet seats bring to us. They're great too!

Post edited by mark090852 on
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • charley95
    I guess I'm the oddball here, I've kept my manual stat. at 68 all winter and averaged a $100 bill. How much will I save going programable? I've dealt with so many appliance failures through the years as most everyone does. I'm one who PM's all of them annually, clean dryer vent pipe,coils on the fridge,flush water heater...

It's so much easier to diagnose when appliances have basic features vs. an IPad in the door of a fridge. I believe planned obsolescence and the inception of the circuit board has led to premature failure in most appliances. Just my 2 cents!
  • rpf65
    Good rule of thimb for energy savings on a programmable, or manual thermostat for that matter. If your not going to be gone for at least 4 hours, don't bother adjusting it. You'll gain very little, if any, energy savings.

Nothing wrong with non-programmable thermostats. About half the people who have programmable thermostats either don't program them or set the temperature the same across the board. Then they call me and ask why they aren't seeing their utility bill going down.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I have to say that this is the ultimate in thermostat programming. Dirt cheap too and failsafe.

k8ad8a9nk9r1.jpg

Yeah, but that one looks like it's frequently all sticky...
  • txcoastal1
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I have to say that this is the ultimate in thermostat programming. Dirt cheap too and failsafe.

Yeah, but that one looks like it's frequently all sticky...

And carpel tunnel set in

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• charley95
    Plus,when your left one breaks you'll always have your right one as a backup!
  • txcoastal1
    edited April 2017
    charley95 wrote: »
    Plus,when your left one breaks you'll always have your right one as a backup!

But that would be cheating and cause jealousy, and could lead to divorce