Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Huh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I thought you were saying the troubles with the free Tidal voucher was the another reason. It didn't make sense to me because I've not seen CD or SACD players come with free media.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Well, I was referring to the hoops I see folks having to jump through to get this stuff to work in general.

Actually, one of my players did come with a free SACD......come to think of it one I bought a very long time ago came with a free one too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yeah Ken, easier for old farts like myself. :) Actually, I don't want to work that hard to get music to play, nobody should. Even if I was younger I'd say screw the headaches.

Simple tasks like playing music, no...I'm not spending hours trying to figure it out. Would you spend hours starting your lawnmower, making coffee, starting your car ? I have no patience for stuff that takes hours, even days to figure out when we have the technology to make it simple.

I'm not throwing shade on the Mini itself, just the whole setup process many of these things need.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I am trying a work around using the PC, it can see the SSD and USB HDD on the network so I copy and paste the files and it looks like it's working but it just tells me "more than a day" to complete. I hope it works because I usually fly off into a frenzied rage and end up I jail when these kind of things dont work.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I am trying a work around using the PC, it can see the SSD and USB HDD on the network so I copy and paste the files and it looks like it's working but it just tells me "more than a day" to complete. I hope it works because I usually fly off into a frenzied rage and end up I jail when these kind of things dont work.

When i transfer my music files I split the library up into segments

A-G, H-O etc, it takes a lot less time
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ron I should have done, and that's what I usually do but thus far I have a 15% investment and I am not gonna screw with it. I don't see the Lightning server on the network anymore but it says its transferring the files. As long as it keeps running while I am at work I should be most of the way there this evening. lightning my **** LOL!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yet another reason I'm sticking with my CD/SACD players.

Yeah, huh?

Or tape or rekkids (vinyl or shellac).

I've been thinking about making the switch to analog computers at our house, but I am not sure I have enough electrical service capacity.

15947088165_bd40b4f045_b.jpg
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I've been thinking about making the switch to analog computers at our house, but I am not sure I have enough electrical service capacity.

15947088165_bd40b4f045_b.jpg
    Does that one have a Spotify app.? :)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I believe so, but any local storage of music files has to be on paper tape or punchcards.
    FortranCardPROJ039.agr.jpg

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I believe so, but any local storage of music files has to be on paper tape or punchcards.

Is there a difference sonically between the two? :o

• mhardy6647
    Options
    actually -- as all the cool guys know, the punchcards and paper tape store digital data. Analog computer programs are made of wire and capacitors and resistors and op amps and relays and whatnot.

Although, it will be recalled that Bob Moog's most famous products were analog synthesizers. Again, kind of tricky to work with.

monkees.jpg
    (Monkee avec Moog)

40df82db81699536e8bb2d0d086ec6a8.jpg
    (Keith Emerson & a Moog)
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I did a really cool project on a Moog and a 4 track in college. Unfortunately it was stolen along with my truck when I was in jail.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Well, late in his life Moog got religion (so to speak) and ended his career building -- Theremins.

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/Etherwave-Theremins

I -- ahem -- do have a Theremin that we (my son and I) built -- from a kit.
    They are hard to play. Easy to make noise with, but hard to make euphonious noise with.
  • afterburnt
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Up and running off the internal SSD!