Great bands/performers you just can't fall in love with.

Comments

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2017
    They all kind of feed off each other and are related.

When one tends to think of "Rock 'n' Roll, stuff like Chuck Berry comes to mind but in reality it was just blues with a different beat. Back in the 70's it was "cool" to hate disco but looking back, a lot of it was pretty-good (especially compared to some of the crap coming out today). I always thought KC and the Sunshine Band were the best of the era.

I prefer to call them dance tunes. After all, dancing is what made Rock 'n' Roll take off. The youth wanted stuff with a fast beat they could dance too. Shows like American Bandstand all revolved around dance music. You can dance to all of Chuck Berry's stuff. It has a great dance beat. It's a little harder trying to dance to progressive rock unless you don't mind looking like you have cerebral palsy or something. But that's because it isn't designed to be that way. It still has it's roots in Rock 'n' Roll though. All rock isn't good dance music but on the other hand music doesn't have to be the type that one sits in a dark room with black light posters smoking joints to be good either.

I like jazz too (and jazz rock). It's all cool and to say you hate something really only shows how narrow-minded some people are. There are no absolutes in rock 'n' roll.

Just look at hip-hop and rap music. For the most part I don't really like a lot of it but there are a few exceptions. I always liked Cypress Hill and the Beastie Boys as well as a few others.

I can honestly say I do not hate any type of music and my pretty-diversified music collection shows that.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Disco a form of rock? You can't be serious. It's dance music. More related to funk and soul really.

On that note........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7isxoTIeYM

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^Disco KISS.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I grew up with that band BUT NEVER bought that stuff from their DISCO era. How did Peter Criss ever get the drummer job there had to be better drummers??
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited March 2017

Did Alice Cooper ever have a disco phase?

Those songs never made it out of the insane asylum

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    So -- I'll refrain from commenting on KISS, but, on the topic of "disco phases"...

19800428_1532.jpg

Just... eww.

:s
  • erniejade
    Back in the day, I did have an LP or two by KISS, but I was never much of a fan. They did have a couple of hits. I thought they were more into being sensational and into theatrics, and not that much of a musical presence. They got little if any airplay on the two rock stations I listened to the most in the LA/Orange counties area of SoCal (KMET and KLOS).

I never considered KISS a great band!

Until this posting, I was unaware that they had a disco phase.

Alice Cooper was as much into theatrics and being sensational as KISS, but he also had the hits, the album sales, and the sold out stadiums to go along with all the hoopla. There was much more substance to go with his audacious style.

Did Alice Cooper ever have a disco phase?

Sorry to do this.. not disco but.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMzIBNlXLwc

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    Well -- Alice Cooper would be an amusing little footnote in rock 'n' roll -- if it weren't for some of their (it was a group -- at least in the beginning, not "just" the guy who took the name) early stuff:

https://youtu.be/46lHQT-_0Ig

https://youtu.be/pbWE-j9WGoQ

Hot stuff indeed when I was in Jr. High School :)

Speaking of which -- you all know this guy now... but I'll bet most of you (unless you grew up in the DC area in the early 1970s) didn't know him then.

https://youtu.be/c-CRQ_EWIv4

Frick -- feelin' like I'm -- what? -- ca. fourteen years old again.
  • mhardy6647
    As it turns out, it was none other than good ol' Gene Simmons who proclaimed rock 'n' roll dead, in 2014. Who knew?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/gene-simmons-rock-is-finally-dead-20140907

rs-167482-477698921.jpg
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Speaking of which -- you all know this guy now... but I'll bet most of you (unless you grew up in the DC area in the early 1970s) didn't know him then.

https://youtu.be/c-CRQ_EWIv4

Frick -- feelin' like I'm -- what? -- ca. fourteen years old again.

I definitely like Nils Lofgren and have for a long time. I'm glad you brought him up in the thread! He's a great guitar player. There was a time when Nils was rumored to be the next member of the Rolling Stones in the 70s but of course that never happened.

I remember in the early 70s when he had his band "Grin" and would play guitar while jumping on a trampoline. He was always "amped" to say the least. A very high-energy dude!

His solo stuff was awesome. "Cry Tough" is a fantastic album along with his song "Keith Don't Go To The Town Called Toronto (An Ode To The Glimmer Twin)" after Keith was busted for heroin in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjCOZeXc4qY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5-_qNNibI

I have a Neil Young DVD from his "Trans" days where Nils is a member of the band and he still looks like his pants are on fire as he is jumping all over the place.

Here is it on youtube. Not the best quality but you can get the picture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHcb7M5ZN8

He's played with Neil Young a lot over the years. Of course now days he is part of Bruce Springsteen's E-Street Band.

Here he is in action. The guy can play!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv33a8bqjXI
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    When this thread started, I figured someone would say KISS, but I'm surprised it took so long, I wasn't going to throw it out there as I like KISS, I even like the I was made for loving you ( "Disco") song, are they a "Great Band"? No, but they gave me an escape at 12 years of age during all the Star Wars garbage in school.

KISS ruled my world it was fun, air guitar, painting our faces, spitting out ketchup, wishing I could breath fire. To me KISS is one of the greatest but for different reasons, it got my foot in the door to explore this world of Rock n Roll..

Two of the Basic Rock Bands out there are KISS and AC/DC and I love them both..

GateCrasher: if I could have two pinball machines it would be KISS and the Guns nRoses one with the Topper...

• Toolfan66
    The great thing about Rock n Roll is it doesn't have to be all complex, you don't have to be the greatest to be part of it, you can be what ever you want to be, it is an escape from the stress of life, or just to party, it's what you want it to be, everyone's favorites have songs or albums that didn't hit home, or fell short half way through it...

Rock n Roll comes in many forms, so rethink that disco or any other style of music can't be Rock n Roll, Lady Gaga has proven she can just about do it all, love her or hate her she is Rock n Roll, and she can play an instrument, writes her music, and most of all she can sing...

Just my .02
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Kiss has sold over 100 million records and are still active after over 40 years....not exactly a flash in the pan and just a bit more popular than Alice Cooper...

It would seem hard to claim a wide and diverse musical taste and not realize they did a couple of disco-type albums. Just saying...

They may not be my favorite band, but they are one of the most popular ever.
  • mhardy6647
    Raspberries, baby!

Eric Carmen rules -- Gene Simmons drools.

https://youtu.be/ULL7apmAJTE

;)
  • erniejade
    Be My lover, the beginning sort of sounds like Sweet Jane.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    My favorite Kiss song is Beth, and it's because it doesn't sound like a Kiss song. But it's got great instrumentals, and the lyrics are great. To me it showed that they actually have some talent.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    mhardy, I am going to have to try to find an old record reviewer from around 1972 or whenever "Go All The Way" came out, who wrote a hilarious review of a Raspberry's album in which he queried who was the best rock and roll singer of all time: Eric Carmen or Mick Jagger? I'll have to find it because I can't give it justice but he concluded Eric Carmen based on some hilarious factors. Guy sure could reap the teen girl buck.
  • mhardy6647
    erniejade wrote: »
    Be My lover, the beginning sort of sounds like Sweet Jane.

Be My Lover sounds pretty much like every great rock and roll song (or at least riff) rolled into one song. Gotta give Mr. Furnier & company (specifically, I guess, the songwriter, Michael Bruce) credit for being able to do that.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Kiss built their popularity on makeup, marketing, theatrics, and products instead of talented musicianship. Kiss lunchboxes, Kiss cereal boxes, Kiss toys... the list goes on and on.

Lick it up! Lick it up! It's only right, now!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Pear Jam bites
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Was a die hard Kiss Fan when I was younger and I got to see them live in 1977 when I was 16 :) Was to awesome!!! still one of the best concert's I have ever seen or enjoyed.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Toolfan66
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Kiss built their popularity on makeup, marketing, theatrics, and products instead of talented musicianship. Kiss lunchboxes, Kiss cereal boxes, Kiss toys... the list goes on and on.

Lick it up! Lick it up! It's only right, now!

And every other band on the planet is playing in hopes to cash in as well, there are Motörhead, Metallica, AC/DC, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Guns n Roses toys as well, all bands are finding ways to market their name in hopes you will buy them, whether it be a t-shirt, calendar, poster, beer mug, hell many are turning to their own beer Megadeth, Iron Maiden are just a couple of them, and speaking of Iron Maiden the same could be said they built their franchise on Eddie, and all the crap they sell with his face on them..

KISS might have done it bigger, but they are not alone...

How many more times will Jimmy Page re-release the Led Zeppelin catalog to the public to keep cashing in on a catalog that is 40 years old??

• mhardy6647
    Pear Jam bites

Sounds like some kind of healthy, sweet packaged snack.

:)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2017
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Pear Jam bites

Sounds like some kind of healthy, sweet packaged snack.

:)

Are they gluten free, GMO free, and free range snacks though? That's the only food I eat.
    Post edited by Nightfall on
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Pear Jam bites

Pear Jelly sticks to the bread a bit better IMO...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I was given front row seats and back stage passes by Paul Stanley after I hooked him up with a cell phone back in the day. Great show, and I have Alive III autographed by Paul to boot. I was not a Kiss fan until I saw them perform.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson