Picked up a pair of SRS 3.1 TL's

Options
I've been looking for a pair of big boys for a while and finally bagged them this past Tuesday. Had to drive over 200 miles to get them and thankfully the were able to fit inside my car. Got them for $500 but they looked in very good shapenough. Brought them home and tossed them into my heated garage.

Last night I started with one and tore it down to begin the mod process. All the drivers look in good shape but there were a lot of snags on the fabric. I like working with wood so the idea of doing a total refacing of the cabinets was a no-brainer. Removed the side wood trim and cloth covered side panels, not to anyone who want to try this, they're glued on and you need to be careful not to gouge out too much of the base cabinet in the process of removing all the glue.

In the process I was feeling erregularities in the surface of the bottom plate, upon closer inspection of the board there was swelling, most definitely some water damage. Since I've started I might as well do this right so my nest step will require removal of the bottom plate, very carefully so I don't damage the sides of the main cabinet. This gives me the great opportunity to do some really cool cabinet mods! Bubinga has always been a favorite of mine, although Birdseye Maple is absolutely spectacular! I'll have to strip the veneer off the top plate as well. I'll post pictures of my process so anyone who likes to watch me make a fool of myself bitting off more than I can chew can laugh as I go through this project.

Of course that is just the cabinets, I'll be falling helplessly down the wormhole of internal mods as well, including a complete Xover rebuild, a total rewiring to all drivers, and of course tweeter replacement. This of course isn't something that is going to happen quickly so please be patient. I do have a full time job and enough honey do's to employ a battalion. But I promise this is going to be awesome when it's done!

Comments

• kjack48230
    Options
    00nrjjr42ewr.jpg
    igxnimdrc3ws.jpg

Before pictures!
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    Options
    Nice acquisition! Looking forward to the results.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    I'm unclear if you plan on replacing the side panels with all wood. If so, I'll mention that I have yet to see that ever come out looking right. Just something to consider.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    I have the same ones that I'm upgrading as well (*although I doubt what I am doing will compare to redoing the cabinets.As all I'm doing is reglueing*)
    Have a look at my upgrade thread and feel free to post there if you like.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176194/sda-upgrade-thread-2/p1
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats on your 3.1's, they are an exceptional speaker! Be careful when removing the top or bottom caps, they are actually a part of the cabinet, unlike the larger, older SDA's.

They can be a b*tch to remove and will take some time to fabricate replacements.
  • kjack48230
    Options
    Congrats on your 3.1's, they are an exceptional speaker! Be careful when removing the top or bottom caps, they are actually a part of the cabinet, unlike the larger, older SDA's.

They can be a b*tch to remove and will take some time to fabricate replacements.

Yes, I know it will be a chore. I'm planning on just replacing the bottom since it was the only piece that had the water damage.
  • kjack48230
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm unclear if you plan on replacing the side panels with all wood. If so, I'll mention that I have yet to see that ever come out looking right. Just something to consider.

After reading your post it got me thinking. The esthetic's need to follow the original design so where the black cloth panels were I'll replace with a very dark wood and the top, bottom and back pieces will be light wood. I think that should work!
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Congrats, sounds like fun! Looking forward to following your progress. I'm sure any nice wood you use will look better than the original oak ... blah!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • kjack48230
    Options
    The cabinet with all the components removed and the side panels stripped off.

sfudbpkjnkoc.jpg
    3ac3y2oqf2y9.jpg
    r5rbd9leeeaf.jpg
    2iv34rk3ktyk.jpg

The last two show the water damage and why I'll need to replace it.
  • F1nut
    Options
    1976doc wrote: »
    I personally love oak.. i think the cherry looks cheap

I'm the other way round.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Are you talking about the end caps or side strips?

President of Club Polk

• kjack48230
    Options
    All of the pieces are either veneer or cloth covered, except for the two long pieces that run along the sides towards the back.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Right, so the strips are laminate.

President of Club Polk

• kjack48230
    Options
    Actually the two straps are real wood (pine and stained).
  • kjack48230
    Options
    Quick question, has anyone ever used Moho Mat? Got a sheet of it for $10 at a car stereo place locally. They claim it's as good as Dynamat.
  • kjack48230
    Options
    Doing a quick comparison between the two, the only real difference is the thickness, Dynamat at 0.067 inches and Mojo mat at 0.078 inches.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good luck!

Hey, those look familiar!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    "finally bagged them this past Tuesday."

I bagged to bears in once.
    I bagged them to leave but the stayed around all day!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bird's eye maple always looks incredible. Even better with fiddleback cross waving and about six inches looking of clear over it.
  • gwg_97
    gwg_97 Posts: 332
    Options
    My end caps and cabinets were really banged up so I did this. A lot of work but I am happy with the final result. yzahujrxyjup.jpg

System 1:Nakamichi PA-7Kenwood Basic C2Polk SDA 1C moddedSystem 2:Dynaco ST-70Polk Monitor 5B modded
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Oh wow <3
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    Nice job,I am impressed!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Looking good!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    WOW!! Those look great!!!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Beautiful! Do I see Outriggers on these Beauties?
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    Your the man!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren