Ported to Sealed...would this work?

I recently scored a small Martin Logan ported sub which I may try out in the hi fi rig. Would it work better as a sealed sub for music if I plugged the 2 small ports in the back? Or....would this just sound like crap....

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Some ported subs can be plugged (they come with plugs) and some shouldn't be. In your case, check with ML to see if it can be before doing it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    F1nut wrote: »
    Some ported subs can be plugged (they come with plugs) and some shouldn't be.

Agree some wooofers need the free flow. My old sub I plugged the port with a Nerf ball. That poor woofer dimpled badly every time on the push out.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    For those with sealed woofers adding an air hole will make a difference.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    BlueFox wrote: »

Yep, and you can charge your iPhone in the microwave.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

Only if it's a cardboard box.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I recently scored a small Martin Logan ported sub which I may try out in the hi fi rig. Would it work better as a sealed sub for music if I plugged the 2 small ports in the back? Or....would this just sound like crap....

Check with ML as already suggested. Some subs yeah you can plug some ports and normally they come with those plugs but I never heard of plugging ALL the ports. To me that goes against the design of the sub and might cause some damage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Yep, and you can charge your iPhone in the microwave.

once.

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    there's all sorts of fun that may be had with (re)tuning ports. try "aperiodic loading"; stuff some athletic socks in the port or something more porous (to be truly "aperiodic") like some "Mr. Coffee" style coffee filters (a few or a bunch of them, 'telescoped', so to speak).

Another classic hack for tuning ports is stuff 'em full of drinking straws -- one may try the straws full length or trimmed to various lengths (although I would suggest them to all be the same length -- else things could get weird).

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2017
    I'm actually not being facetious above -- needless to say, I know zilch about the subwoofer in question, but I do know that different designers may choose to tune their products to different Qtc values to emphasize extension vs. "whoompf" factor, depending I guess on their own tastes, the expected application, and or their (shall we say) target market demographic.

I am sure you guys all know the effect of Qtc on the bass behavior of a loudspeaker system -- but it won't hurt to share a picture (being worth 10^3 words and all that). Qtc of 0.707, of course, will give the flattest, most extended bass response. Qtc much above 1 and it's like listening to WalMart hifis :)

thiele%20-%20small%20graph.gif
    source: http://www.mh-audio.nl/tsp_ex.asp

My point, if indeed I have one :) -- perhaps (????) a little judicious retuning might improve (i.e., decrease) the boominess of a given subwoofer.

• pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Agree some wooofers need the free flow. My old sub I plugged the port with a Nerf ball. That poor woofer dimpled badly every time on the push out.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but otherwise, this is the number one misconception I have ever seen on subwoofers. By adding a port you are not letting a subwoofer freely move, you're not decreasing the air pressure. It's actually the opposite. Ported subs have quite a bit higher internal air pressure than sealed ones. If you plug a port, at the tuning frequency you are actually decreasing air pressure and the cone will freely move more. This is because of the backpressure from the port which keeps the cone in check. The difference in the air pressure inside the box between a tuned port at the tuning frequency and a simple hole in the box is huge, it's not the same thing.
  • MetropolisLake
    MetropolisLake Posts: 128
    edited March 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    Some subs yeah you can plug some ports and normally they come with those plugs but I never heard of plugging ALL the ports. To me that goes against the design of the sub and might cause some damage.

You can do it with some subs because they have DSP settings that allow you to do it. The most popular is the SVS PB-13. You can plug the port but you need to put the DSP into sealed mode. If your ported sub doesn't have a DSP setting that lets you do sealed, I wouldn't mess with it myself.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying,

yep you are. The dust cap would collapse and pop, the woofer cone would also wrinkle. Something that didn't happen with the port open.