And... We're Off! Dual 18" Sealed Sub Build

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    We made a Very similar project a few years ago!
    Instead of Dowels, we used scraps of Mdf, about 3/4"x2" and where they met we flat glued them together and wrapped them with a zip tie till the glue cured, then removed zip tie.
    We found the box was quite resilient, and turns out our house was the source of any vibrations!
    Duct work, pictures, lamps, you name it. We spend like 2 hours tracking down almost every last rattle or vibration by running test tones through our 2 subs.

Great work, you will love it!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited March 2017
    Making some progress today. Got one layer of the front baffle and the front-to-back dowel braces in. I'm tacking the tee nuts to the back of the second layer of the front baffle. Routed the first layer baffle so the second layer sits flush (the bottom plate of the tee nuts are about 1/16" thick).

I still need to cushion the crossing points of the bracing (where they touch) and re-zip tie. And yes, I will snip the tails of the zip ties! :p

egca46j9beep.jpg

8ecf9cuw33jr.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DO NOT CALL THOSE T-NUTS! They are SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    edited March 2017
    Cushioned, double zipped, and cut tails - for all you fellow OCD freaks like me.

I did leave a couple tails in the cabinet though... just because! >:)

1zp3zgqsiwuh.jpg

7ykb9o71aa6h.jpg
  • scubalab
    Got the cables made. One is about 10' and one about 10.5'. Furez 14/2 and braided sleeving from Douglas Connection and SpeakON connectors (90-degree at sub end) from Parts Express.

j1jxhr9rilp2.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Cables look really good! Now finish em so you can truly enjoy them!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Gave one a test run and it sounds fantastic.

5pbqd7b0h1db.jpg
  • scubalab
    So we fired up Moana last night and my daughter, at one point, says 'Dad, I can feel the floor shaking... it's AWESOME!" This is pretty impressive since the floor is a concrete slab on grade! Granted, I did have both subs (the new Dayton and the SVS)...

I may have to keep the SVS and move it to the back of the room since it's not selling! I've got no problem with that!
  • EndersShadow
    scubalab wrote: »
    So we fired up Moana last night and my daughter, at one point, says 'Dad, I can feel the floor shaking... it's AWESOME!" This is pretty impressive since the floor is a concrete slab on grade! Granted, I did have both subs (the new Dayton and the SVS)..

Bet THAT put a SH|T eating grin on your face.... and your only really 1/4 of the way there. You've still got to build the other sub and then EQ them...
    I may have to keep the SVS and move it to the back of the room since it's not selling! I've got no problem with that!

Just do that and forget even trying to sell it. It will help with nulls significantly and add more "fun" factor to the movies.

• scubalab
    Got the second box built and fired up the duals. All I can say is WOW! (What I really want to say would be censored by Vanilla... ;) )

abao0ggt3yi9.jpg

Once I finish the subs (glue the 1/2" outer MDF on all sides, round the corners, and paint), they will get built into the wall right below the LSi-7s. I constructed cubbies behind the drywall. All I need to do is cut the drywall out, slide them into place, and make a grill to go over the openings. I got some black Mellotone grill fabric from Parts Express. Not sure how I'll mount the grills, but thinking magnets!
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2017
    Got the second box built and fired up the duals. All I can say is WOW! (What I really want to say would be censored by Vanilla... ;) )

Now move that SVS behind your seats and re-do XT32 with your 2 front subs EQ'd as Sub 1, and the SVS as sub 2....

Then play a movie or two....

Should give you incentive to finish up the rest of the build and enjoy it.

I'm just glad I didn't steer you wrong.... Tell your wife I'm sorry lol....
    Not sure how I'll mount the grills, but thinking magnets!

Nope.... best suggestion I have (forgot to mention it before you ordered stuff) is this. You can cut it to the size you need and I think you can get one grill per kit, just not sure where the middle brace should go given the subs location. or if you even need one.....

260-346_ALT_0.jpg

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited March 2017
    Wow! Those are momoths! And those svs cylinders aren't exactly small either.

A friend Of mine uses 4 of those in his theater. 2 up front and 2 more firing into the ack of the couch.... and he's building 2 more.

He's an automotive body tech, so he paints them up all pretty. DIY is super impressive.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• scubalab
    Made a little progress on the subs yesterday. Got all of the 1/2" mdf facing cut and glued to all sides. Cut the big holes for the drivers and the small holes for the speakON chassis mounts and routered the holes with a 5/16"R quarter round. Just have to sand the edges flush, put wood filler in the joints that aren't perfectly flush, router all corners, and paint. ALMOST there!

17nzvg8mdo25.jpg
    zpycpn1qb8j0.jpg
    f611t3m466k1.jpg
    ew844y7a12vt.jpg
    57neeidmchkw.jpg
    c4orj95gdlec.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Purty! I see you used my zip tie tip for the driver lol...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I like gingerbread.
    Made a little progress on the subs yesterday
    17nzvg8mdo25.jpg [/quote
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    In all seriousness Al, this project is coming along beautifully. Those routered edges really clean everything up. I'd have a hard time not returning to the room to admire my work in silence, if this were me. Kinda like when you give the bathroom shower a good scrubbing after letting it go too long. These are going to be quite the sight once you get them coated.

My apologies if I missed it earlier, but will you be doing anything for feet?
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Thanks for the tip Dan... Didn't need the zip tie until I put the 1/2" outer baffle on. I ALMOST dropped that driver in there without it and caught myself.

Scott - thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated. Yes, it's amazing what a router can add to a project. The pictures don't do justice to how nice that 1/4-round looks around the driver and SpeakON mount. I still have a lot of sanding to do, but once that's done and I quarter-round the corners, it'll look like I sorta knew what I was doing! As for feet, I left myself around 2" to spare on the height. Not sure if I'll put feet on just yet. I don't think spikes will work since the subs will need to slide into the cubbies. And... guilty as charged. I found myself going back into the theater just to keep checking on things. I'm happy with how they are coming out. It's a shame that they'll be hidden in the walls when all said and done...

If I were to do it again... I would have done a better job clamping the 'shell' on. I picked up the long clamps half-way through. Some of the sides could have been glued tighter. I was relying on weight holding them down, and there are some gaps. But, the glue I used is ridiculously strong, and once cured, I think it's close to 4,000 psi bond strength. I used this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond-III-16-oz-Ultimate-Wood-Glue-1414/100522343
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Very impressive, Al! B)

Enjoy!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    That's awesome, love the look of those woofers, bet they sound sweet!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Whats funny is I had a similar enclosure idea (layering MDF) - I was building a TC sound behemoth and with just one layer of MDF it was 150+++ pounds... that's when I realized I was crazy and scrapped it lol!! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • scubalab
    Thanks Mike!

Trey - Yeah, I'm estimating that these monsters are going to tip the scales at around 200 - 225 lbs. each! They are not going to be very easy to maneuver... :/

The Ultimax drivers do look great with the woven fiberglass cones. They sound very impressive too, although I've only played a couple bass-heavy songs and a few movies to test them out. I hadn't calibrated anything since they were sitting out in the room, and I actually boosted the levels to see what they could do. Once I get them finished and set up in the cubbies, I'll re-run Audyssey XT32 and get them all dialed in more accurately.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2017
    VR3 wrote: »
    Whats funny is I had a similar enclosure idea (layering MDF) - I was building a TC sound behemoth and with just one layer of MDF it was 150+++ pounds... that's when I realized I was crazy and scrapped it lol!! :)

I remember that build.... there are days I look for one of those VMPS subs just to see if one could be had for a deal lol
  • scubalab
    Just about done. Sanded, routered, and caulked the inside corners for an airtight seal. I'm not thrilled with the finish and paint, but it's good enough since they'll be hidden in the wall. Just need the paint to fully dry and reinstall the drivers and SpeakON chassis mounts and they'll be DONE. Cutting the holes in the walls tomorrow, building the grills, and I'll re-run XT-32. Thanks to Dan (Enders) for all the help, advice, and motivation to complete this project. More pics tomorrow when I get them installed.

7mkq2trrvg9c.jpg
    zdbi85gcs2aj.jpg
    8otatq7qw8z9.jpg
    bkperkrltbw3.jpg
    974q1x2xl8to.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    All I want to hear is how BA these are for the family with cars!

And apologize to the wife for the headache I've caused by putting the bug in your ears lol...
  • VR3
    Looking good!
  • scubalab
    edited March 2017
    Right sub installed!

Cut why big hole in the wall (kids had fun hitting the drywall a couple times with the hammer before I made the clean cut!).

kxwp6grlegf7.jpg

i9w921cne9f1.jpg

THANK GOD it fit (and like a glove I might add - 1/2" on the sides, 1" top and bottom. Measure twice, cut once!

al5smyjtao91.jpg

A couple shots from the back...

q1orrqwcf1e8.jpg

mxq1dbbem3u1.jpg

dlh7t3wlba6f.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    So when you gonna upgrade those outlets to either Pangea or PS Audio ones :smile:....

Looking REALLY GOOD MAN!

Cars tonight?
  • scubalab
    And, left sub installed. Just need to make the grills, calibrate and sit back and enjoy a couple flicks this evening.

Dan, thanks man! Yes, probably Cars tonight. The racing scenes at the very beginning are fantastic!

8ohhkj28gvda.jpg

pxcqp3wzpgxv.jpg

38xn7s0vqbji.jpg
  • scubalab
    Couple pics of Kara enjoying the destruction an little too much... >:)

rprhmh3gqbtw.jpg

a1o919g6l3uj.jpg

4848g8asmacq.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Now we just need to talk about buying a acoustically transparent screen, so you can go bigger, and maybe a projector upgrade hehehehehe.....