Lsim705 possible bad tweeters or x-overs.

Ok so I've been here a little while now but haven't posted much well here's the scoop...
I've been listening to my lsim705 pair for some time now and I've been loving them. My setup is a Cambridge audio cxn used as a streamer/pre and their cxc with a parasound a52 amp (till I can grab an a21) and I use all signal cables.

Today I had an issue with my phone which controls the app and it set the volume at Max before I realized the speakers played extremely loud for 2-3 seconds before I got the volume down.
Since this happened I now feel like theres and over emphasis on the treble like it's out of balance with the rest of the speaker. I do not hear any crackling or poping. What I hear is slightly edgy or a hissy treble now. It was smooth as silk before and now it's harder or something and is definitely off I don't know how really to describe it.

So this is where I'm stuck... Is it the tweeter that's done or the x-over... I pulled the x-over and I can't see any visible browning or disfigured parts. So I'm leaning towards the tweeter.
If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    n48orqjx2p70.jpg
    Did you inspect both?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tjcd89
    Tjcd89 Posts: 18
    No I haven't I will pull the woffer and inspect the lower one now and then report back.
  • Tjcd89
    I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for other than something obvious which I don't see.
    I don't see any blow caps or black/brown board areas.
    I can post more pics if side angles will help.
  • Tjcd89
    I've done some more listening and I've narrowed it down to the vocal range and most specifically "s" sounds... They sound shrill or hissy... I've read somewhere that this is sibilance?
    I've played the mid-woofer and mid-range driver and the both sound the same between both speakers. It's the tweeters that seem to have taken off from the rest of the speaker.
    Anyone have this experience yet?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I had issues with 2 pairs of 705's. The last pair I replaced 2 tweeters under warranty from Some distortion, which was more prevalent on the "S" ,and eventually replaced a crossover. The crossover visually looked fine. My speakers were never clipped or cranked, and ran with quality amplification. this was straight out of the box. this was only one speaker though.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tjcd89
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope it's just the tweeters but I won't know until I swap them out. Does anyone have a number or email to get ahold of a Canadian rep for parts?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    That would be Walter Moser at: Walter.Moser@soundunited.com tele: 877-660-6601
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I'm in Canada as well, I dealt with Walter who directed me to the western rep. I had a new tweeter in about a week. Polk was great to deal with shipping for the parts was super fast.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tjcd89
    Thanks I really appreciate it.
  • soundy
    soundy Posts: 10
    Hi Tjcd89, I am having a similar problem wth my LsiM705. Have you found out your speaker problem and how did you have it fixed? I haven't done any part change on a speaker myself. Any clue how the parts can be changed is much appreciated.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I had issues with 2 pairs of 705's. The last pair I replaced 2 tweeters under warranty from Some distortion, which was more prevalent on the "S" ,and eventually replaced a crossover. The crossover visually looked fine. My speakers were never clipped or cranked, and ran with quality amplification. this was straight out of the box. this was only one speaker though.

What symptoms did the bad crossover exhibit and did a replacement correct it? I too had two tweeters go bad in the 705 after only about 50 goes of use and not being over driven and using quality amplification.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Why do you think the polyfil reduces sound quality?