Making connections to PSW10

124»

Comments

• am_dew
    am_dew Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    JFK and cnh, thanks for your input. The reason I asked was I seem to recall someone suggesting somewhere that you turn the crossover to max, but perhaps that was when hooking it up to an AVR that allows you to EQ or fine tune the sub output.
  • JimKellyfan
    JimKellyfan Posts: 696
    edited November 2013
    On my psw10, I had a port noise as well until I removed the front cover. I don't know if that will work on the 12, but I also don't know if blowin a hole through the cover (in front of port only) will solve it either, but for me, removing the cover, the noise is gone.
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure merely removing the cover will do much for the PSW12 and I may have tried that in the past? The problem is with the port itself, some mod to it would work much better. It's a shame because the 12 matches up pretty well with the newer PSW125. In fact, some of the problem is caused by the 12 not rolling off as "fast" as the 125 does. See the specs. The 125 rolls off by 32hz, the 12 by 26hz. That makes the 12 a little sloppier down there.

The 10 is also sloppy as you get to its lower limits. Again, something a port FIX would clean up pretty easily?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • JimKellyfan
    edited November 2013
    yeah, who knows on the 10's port, if that would fix, but, agreed it is relevant and most likely. I love all the polks I have except the sub. the amp petered out what I deemed too soon, luckily polk took care of me, but would want to jump to a class D amp for sure if'n they had one in a sub. Also, due to dogs, would want a down fired model that would adjust up and down on its own, or programmed or remote control, although the 505 caught my eye, price and size wise....the psw10, to me is an entry level sub that just shouldn't be, because even newer audiophile wannabe's just should spend more to get more, because what you get when you do get it, you just wished you'd spent more and got more, or at least in my case....I am a blaster and love it loud, but, never bought a sub before, so, I went cheap...The wife hates subs, I love em, call it the Sicilian in me, ha. Next time I am getting a replacement home theatre / stereo, I will get a sub or two a notch or few up....But for the more mellow people, that just want a sub for a bit more depth, the psw10 will fit the bill....The blasters or jammers, need to spend more to get more....I notice a little mudiness in mine time to time, but with cover off, that flutter or port noise I hear, with my ears, cover off erases it for me....
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Audio Outdoors
    Shed
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • JimKellyfan
    edited November 2013
    I though of, but haven't done it yet to my psw10, blowin a hole just above the amp, either in the back or in the top, and also drillin some holes in the face and put peg legs in place and make it downward firing on my own, that would affect port noise where I would try the cover on and upright for a bit, but hole in top was initially thought of for heat removal from the amp so it doesn't run as hot and maybe last a bit longer, but it may remove the port noise too....It could also negatively affect it, so I haven't done it as yet....But probably will by the first of the year, do both...
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Audio Outdoors
    Shed
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • jd2357
    jd2357 Posts: 15
    This anouncement is very helpfull , But how do you connect 2 PSW10 Sub's ?? do you need 2 more splitters at the sub connections or do you connect single cable into the R or the L ???
    Onkyo:TX-SR674
    TV: Samsung Smart 60"
    DVD: Toshiba SD-4100
    BlueRay DVD: LG BD-300
    Subwoofer: 2 Polk Audio PSW108's
    Front SPK: Klipsch
    Front L&R: Klipsch
    Surround L&R Klipsch
    Surround Back Klipsch

Enjoy while you can; no one gets out Alive!
  • jd2357
    jd2357 Posts: 15
    Just got off the Phone with PolkAudio Tech support: Here is the Best way to connect 2 PSW108 Subs From an AV, 1 cable W/Spliter then 1 cable to each Sub connected to the R on each Sub. Set the auto taggle to Auto, The 0-180 toggle to your preference (Mine is 0). The second thing you would need to do is set the variable low pass filter, on the sub-woofer, to the highest setting (the variable low pass filter is the dial that has "Hz" labeled). This will set the internal low pass filter above the low pass filter frequency given by your receiver and, in effect, create an LFE input.
    Onkyo:TX-SR674
    TV: Samsung Smart 60"
    DVD: Toshiba SD-4100
    BlueRay DVD: LG BD-300
    Subwoofer: 2 Polk Audio PSW108's
    Front SPK: Klipsch
    Front L&R: Klipsch
    Surround L&R Klipsch
    Surround Back Klipsch

Enjoy while you can; no one gets out Alive!
  • mk08371
    mk08371 Posts: 1
    Question for Ken -- My daughter was just given a Polk psw10 and two Polk bookshelf speakers. It is an older model that has a left/right line in and a speaker level in, but no sub in. Can this be used as a two channel system without a receiver? Does the sub power the two speakers? Serial number is AM105225265 if that's of any help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. I'm afraid the amplifier built into the sub-woofer will only power the woofer not any other speakers. You will need a stereo receiver to complete the system, sometimes a good second hand receiver can be an attractive answer.
    Regards, Ken
  • Have a Polk Psw 12 powered sub.well it seems like a powered surge might have put my sub on the fritz..I hear this high pitch squeal when I hook the power cord up.if the amp board is messed up is there any way I can run it as passive if since it has an onboard crossover because the board itself would costnmore to replace than it would to buy a new one and I really don't want to buy either at this moment
  • Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. The low pass filter is part of the amplifier's circuitry and if the amplifier isn't functioning the filter won't be either. Have you contacted Polk's CS department about replacement amplifiers or the possibility of repairing yours?
    Regards, Ken
  • Hi,
    I just purchased the polk audio psw10 and am wonder what kind of speakers wouls work best with it? Is there any specific size that i should get to insure the best sound?