Infinite Baffle

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    VR3 wrote: »
    To quote Optimus Prime... just need a little more energon... and a whole lot of luck!! :p I definitely could see going this route, just a matter of doing it! :)

I see more screws and glues in Treys future.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    my understanding is if you do dual manifolds (two sets of drivers) the back wave is actually canceled, feel free to correct me if I am wrong... so this would allow no outside sound, all inside sound...

This may also apply to a single manifold, again, I'm dangerous right now :pensive:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    1976doc wrote: »
    Since these dont require a sealed attic, how much of the bass is carried to the outside of the house? Is this a viable option for a residential neighborhood?

Neighbors??????---Pffft---Now would it be more fun to throw on some Black Hawk Down, and have a little fun with the neighbors >:)>:)>:)B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    With the massive subs Trey has had going in his house before at well over 105Db for hours on end? I don't think he really cares. His neighbors seem rather laid back with things. Normally, this would be cause for concern.

I had to leave the house one time when he made a huge and extremely heavy custom sub and started watching the movie Transformers at extreme volumes. I got nauseous after about 20 minutes. Yeah, it sounded good and woke the dead for miles but it was a bit much for me. Almost gave me vertigo, the sound pressure and impacts were so powerful...

My only concern would be the "advertisement" to folks driving by that something "special" was inside. Heck, I worry about that with my system. *prays*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    edited March 2017
    treitz3 wrote: »
    With the massive subs Trey has had going in his house before at well over 105Db for hours on end? I don't think he really cares. His neighbors seem rather laid back with things. Normally, this would be cause for concern.

I had to leave the house one time when he made a huge and extremely heavy custom sub and started watching the movie Transformers at extreme volumes. I got nauseous after about 20 minutes. Yeah, it sounded good and woke the dead for miles but it was a bit much for me. Almost gave me vertigo, the sound pressure and impacts were so powerful...

My only concern would be the "advertisement" to folks driving by that something "special" was inside. Heck, I worry about that with my system. *prays*

Tom

I had to sit on that sub and add "some" ballast to that sub to keep it from walking across the floor.
  • VR3
    I think that is YOUR thumb @lightman1

axws3nkl7okz.jpg
    ltxte971y5so.jpg
    adqomi88nkzd.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • lightman1
    That it is, Trey.
  • VR3
    good times, those TC Sounds drivers would of probably been a good candidate for an IB sub too...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    good times, those TC Sounds drivers would of probably been a good candidate for an IB sub too...

Agreed, real shame they screwed that company up, they had a good thing going
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    True that, I really see ALOT of the LMSR driver in the new Ultimax, but I like the fact it is Dayton as I don't see them going anywhere in the event of issues...
  • lightman1
    Look at the excursion on those beasts!
    Was it something like 3.5" to 4" pole to pole?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    You gotta G-Horn Ryan?

Not enough space. Settling for 6 sealed 18s. ;-) But one of the houses we visited in KC has 2 G-Horns mounted in the attic and ported into his den.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    3" peak to peak
  • lightman1
    3" peak to peak

Still...that sumbeach moved some air.
  • treitz3
    ....and itself.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ZLTFUL
    lightman1 wrote: »
    3" peak to peak

As much as the JTR Captivator 4000 ULF in KC?
    >:)

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    3" peak to peak

As much as the JTR Captivator 4000 ULF in KC?
    >:)

Shidyou not, Ryan. Better.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2017
    The insulation in an attic would dampen quite a bit of the energy. My attic with lots of blow in stuff is like sitting in a sound chamber. Kinda deafening and weird. Under the subfloor as lots of ground and outer foundation to lower the offending waves too.

IB is a way different bass animal as you don't have to listen to a peaky, poorly designed over driven box. It is an excursion/sq. inch limited world, with most setups reaching limits under 500 watts of power.

In movies, you can wonder if an IB sub is even working as sometimes the bass is so integrated into the full range of sound that you don't notice it until you have that OMG moment when something happens on the screen and the whole house explodes.

Fun times!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'm feeling itchy just thinking about it

Tyvek suit you sissy :p
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Build it and they will come :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • VR3
    So, I have been further researching this, the Dayton Ultimax 18 would require 4 woofers to work...

So I kept searching, FI Audio is a popular choice and their 18", a pair would work. This keeps it in my budget...

Has anyone experienced any subs from FI Audio?
  • VR3
  • treitz3
    Now I understand why you used so many screws.

4 of these? OMG.

Tom
  • VR3
    It would just be two, but they could move a whole lot of air, 3" peak to peak xmax.

I have also been thinking of ways to "decouple" the manifold from the floor. I am thinking a hole in the floor that is slightly oversized, a foam gasket, and then the manifold slides into the hole and it anchored to the ground versus bolted to the joist. I am sure vibrations would still find its way to the floor, but it wouldn't be directly coupled to it... feedback?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Trey I've read they are pretty much the go to for IB. Dayton used to make a similar driver but I don't see it sold anywhere anymore.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    For the price it just seems to make sense. It sucks though because I receive dealer pricing at PE so I got a nice little chunk off the Ultimax... -.-
  • ZLTFUL
    There's a guy on AVS with 4 of them with about 5 hours of use and a Behringer EP4000 for sale...

#enablermodeoff

• VR3
    If someone could give him my email address, id buy two at a reasonable price... I'm not willing to spend $25 just to contact the guy... lol that's silly
  • VR3
    Ok, I finally figured it out, replied to his post...
  • VR3
    Ive been checking used sites off and on and finally nabbed a pair of 18" IB13 FI subwoofer drivers for $295 a pair (local pick up-how lucky??)

... now to find an XTI2000 amplifier... badass sub for like $550?? cant beat it!