Great bands/performers you just can't fall in love with.

Comments

• befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    I think with the mass majority of popular bands compiling a grouping of their best tracks goes a long way to appreciate what they bring to their profession!,Although i have to admit even though i don't mind the music the singing voice and style of GandR and Smashing Pumpkins really gets annoying to me in short order
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited March 2017
    For me it's the Greatful Dead. I just can't listen to it. It's not for a lack of trying but most likely the lack of LSD. One other is The Rolling Stones while they have some tremendous songs wading through the pile of work to get them all on one CD would be cost prohibitive.
    Others:
    The Boss
    Billy Joel
    U2
    Anything Country just makes me want to pound my ears with ice picks.
    No offense meant to those that who like it.

Big big Rush fan here

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    As hard as I try, I've never been able to get into the Grateful Dead, although I think Jerry Garcia solo does the absolute best Dylan covers I've ever heard. Eagles? No thank you. Elton John after 11-17-70, no thanks. U2 after October and Boy, meh. The Doors L.A. Woman never did anything for me, Morrison too far gone. Then there are lots of albums I absolutely love with the exception of one song - but that one song is the favorite of nearly everyone else. Examples: "I Want My MTV;" "Start Me Up;" "Exodus." I remember buying each of those particular albums and telling people I love everything on the album except this one song, and they reply, "But that's the best song on the album!"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    wha?
    xsvz4l2uo41o.jpeg
    nbrowser wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Rush - quite possibly the most over hyped band of all time, IMHO.

I have to agree as a Canadian to boot!. They are overplayed up here due to CANCON rules (Canadian Content), I just find their music nauseating to say the least.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Heh. The Dead. The Dead is (are) a funny thing -- I think one either gets the Dead or one doesn't. I'm content to leave it at that. They were, without doubt, ramshackle almost all of the time. Once in a while, they'd get their heads screwed on straight and turn out a masterpiece. Garcia himself said of them (in so many words) that they never failed not to rise to the level of expectations. The bigger the deal, the poorer they were. They were, e.g., horrible at Woodstock, where the Who, Hendrix -- heck, many performers, were incandescent (despite in many cases being so high that "both eyeballs were in the same socket" -- and not in all cases by choice).

I actually kind of like the Canadian content rule -- at least as it effects the one Canadian radio station to which I sometimes listen: CKDO in Durham, Ontario. They play the "Good" Canadian vintage rock/pop, and obscure-to-me vintage Canadian rock/pop that I'd otherwise never hear.

http://www.ckdo.ca/

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Oh yeah, the dead. I had some friends in college in the 70's....yikes. I mean the late 70's :# That were dead heads. I gave it a darn good try and just could not figure that one out. I do own 1 album - Terripan Station that I know I have listened to at least once, don't get it either.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I had friends in college that used to sit around and argue about which Dead concerts were the best - the first set in Copenhagen on March 3, 1981 or whatever. They had cases of cassettes of bootleg shows and would argue all night about which shows were best while playing the tapes. Used to drive me nuts. But later I did the same thing with other friends about Dylan shows. The first show at Santa Cruz on March 31. 2000. No, the Vicar Street Dublin soundboards Sep. 13, 2000 ... Lol. Different strokes for different folks.
  • [Deleted User]
    I watched some movie about a dead concert on TV and they did an awesome version of 'Morning Dew' and it made me interested again... they are polarizing.

Say what you want about Led Zeppelin but nobody did blues in that bombastic way before or after that I know of.

You either get Dylan for the lyrics or forget it. OTOH, I have heard plenty of Dylanesque phrasing in delivery over the years. "Everyone does Dylan better
    than Dylan" may be a true statement.

A lot of people I knew hated Rush until Geddy stopped singing at the top
    of his voice... umm, 'Permanent Waves' on.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    I forgot Bruce Springsteen - he's top my list, actually.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Never really got what the big deal is with Bob Dylan, he might write great lyrics but his singing is awful.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Never really got what the big deal is with Bob Dylan, he might write great lyrics but his singing is awful.

Awful is maybe a stretch.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Nightfall wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

Awful is maybe a stretch.
    As in it's not quite good enough to call "awful"...?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    As in this is more along the lines of awful, which I would not put Bob Dylan anywhere near the same category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvqM4xXe-U

• Nightfall
    I think Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) has that same sound, like he has a cold or something.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The "Dylan's vocals" thing is complicated, 'cause he affected many different styles over the year. We heard "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" on a local radio program last night -- Dylan singing on that (beautiful) song sounds like a bad Dylan impersonation! :)

So -- and FWIW, I thought that, in his early days, Tom Petty sounded like he was affecting a Dylan style to his vocals. I also thought that Mark Knopfler sounded pretty Dylanesque on Dire Straits' eponymous album.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Good points there, Doc. You can hear Dylan type inflections in Pettys and Knopflers singing styles.
    But it's the dichotomy of what "bad singing" to poetic lyrics has done to influence many otherwise great songs since.
    Break off into groups and postulate......
  • [Deleted User]
    oh sure, agree w/ Doc.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Good points there, Doc. You can hear Dylan type inflections in Pettys and Knopflers singing styles.
    But it's the dichotomy of what "bad singing" to poetic lyrics has done to influence many otherwise great songs since.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    U2 and that dreadful schmaltz Phil Collins puts out.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    How dare you! Philly Cee is a saint! A saint with 7 Grammy's, an Academy award, and two Golden Globes. ;)

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2017
    oh sure, agree w/ Doc.

Whenever I read a reply by the Doc, I have a nerdgasm. -* ;)
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    not big on ELP or Yes!

Other then that I like a lot of the music out there. the singers voice isn't super important to me - like Tom Waits- Leonard - Petty & The Boss _ smashing Pumpkins & Dylan. and I'm a big time Peter Townshend fan.

Nora Jones puts me to sleep, so does many of Diana Krall's but I do enjoy many of the songs too.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    decal wrote: »
    Rush and Boston top my list.

I forgot to add Queen.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited March 2017
    oh sure, agree w/ Doc.
    lightman1 wrote: »

Do you see that last word in my post? B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Motörhead...
    Danzig...
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Just so you guys know, ELP, Yes, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix etc. were known as acid rock for a good reason. >:)
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    StevieB wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, ELP, Yes, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix etc. were known as acid rock for a good reason. >:)

Wait... You're implying there's a drug connection to Pink Floyd??
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    wha?
    xsvz4l2uo41o.jpeg
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Rush - quite possibly the most over hyped band of all time, IMHO.

I have to agree as a Canadian to boot!. They are overplayed up here due to CANCON rules (Canadian Content), I just find their music nauseating to say the least.

Rush sucks, that's the facts...from a dyed in the wool CANADIAN!!!!!

I listen to Rush all the time when I am in the car....

As far as the band goes, I am inclined to agree somewhat, but there is no denying that Neil Peart is one of the greatest drummers of all time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson