SACD & Marantz?

Have a Marantz SR 5011 AVR & Oppo UDP 203. Trying to play a SACD. Appears Oppo is reading disc. Can Marantz play that signal?
AVR: Marantz SR 5011
L/ R: Polk Audio 703 LSiM (Bi Amp'd)
C: Polk Audio 255c - LS
R: Def Tech
Sub: PSW 505 (12 inch)
DVD: Oppo UDP 203
TV: 2016 Sony XBR 75X850D

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited March 2017
    Just make sure that the SR5011 will accept DSD over HDMI (it should). Only thing I could easily find for it was that it will accept DSD signals over USB.

Also, make sure you don't have to use a specific HDMI out on the Oppo 203 to output the DSD signal.

I can't remember what one it is on my 103, but only one of the two HDMI outputs will output DSD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    He could also use the analog outs on the Oppo if he has it set up that way.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    nbrowser wrote: »
    True...but even my BDP93 and SR5010 thru HDMI worked on the first crack, even better after I told the Oppo to only output SACD in stereo.

I guess it would depend on what DAC you would want to use.

Analog outs, Oppo's built in DAC is doing the work. HDMI out can let the Marantz's DAC do the work.

I know you know that, but I'm not sure the OP does...

• Upstatemax
    Very true, that said though I prefer letting the Marantz do the decoding over the 93, sounds a bit better to my ears at least.

It depends on what system my Oppo 103 is residing in.

If it's in the HT, I prefer the SC-87's DAC. I just let the Oppo act as a transport and media server.

In my 2ch, I like the Oppo's DAC over the P5's. However, I HAVE to let the Oppo do the decoding for SACD in my 2ch system. Either way, I still prefer the Oppo's DAC for all playback over the P5's.
  • tonyb
    Sounds more and more like a case of "read the manual". Most likely a set up issue in the players settings.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited March 2017
    Forget both those players Kingkwas, I'd wait for the new Oppo UDP-205 & get it sent to Dan Wright (Modwright) for truth mods. He is planning on offering his usual two-chassis tube mod with truth umbilical & said it will be his best mod ever. He is also offering a lesser cost single chassis solid state mod which will also be very good. I plan to go for the single chassis mods with the Bybee Music Rail upgrade. On top of that I plan on adding Telos Quantum stickers in strategic locations ;).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2017
    He has the Oppo UDP-203 already, the Marantz is his AVR.

Edit: corrected.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    F1nut wrote: »
    He has the Oppo UDP-205 already, the Marantz is his AVR........hello!

The 205 isn't out yet. Hello! :p
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Howdy!

Friendly bunch 'round these parts.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2017
    LOL......203, 205 what's the difference, it's an Oppo.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    F1nut wrote: »
    LOL......203, 205 what's the difference, it's an Oppo.

I'm thinkin someone around here is a blind old guy...

Woohoo !! I'm off the list. Jessie took my spot.....woooohooo !!!

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Not so fast there Tony, there's no i in my name.

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ^^^^
    Just ask Carly Simon
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Kingkwas
    Kingkwas Posts: 92
    Thanks everyone for the input. I talked to some Oppo support folks. Played some with the settings but honestly didn't do anything. Put everything back to the way I found it. It just randomly starting working.

I know my setup isn't true audiophile yet (Polk LSiM 703 bookshelf, Marantz AVR (BiAmp'd & Oppo player) but can not tell much (if any) difference between a CD & SACD. Maybe some but its not revolutionary.

Thoughts?
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    What cables are you using?
  • Kingkwas
    rpf65 wrote: »

All HDMI
  • Upstatemax
    Don't expect mind blowing differences. It's all in the details.

I've typically found less smearing of the soundstage, better overall dynamics and greater detail with SACD.

A lot of it can depend on what SACD you're listening to, not all are created equal...

• F1nut
    Kingkwas wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

All HDMI

I'm that case you are using the DAC in your AVR. Try using RCA cables, which will utilize the DAC in the Oppo.

President of Club Polk

• Kingkwas
    Update 2.0: Continue to have issues. Been back and forth with Oppo. Connected via HDMI. Will not play SACD. Plays everything else. Randomly on 4th try it started to play SACD. For no reason it just plays sometimes. Will try again tomorrow. Did install a new HDMI cable. Not sure that is it because it can play 4k DVDs fine. Also plays CDs just fine.
  • Kingkwas
    Might also be a change in "Audio Output" settings. Changing to bitstream might have done something. Not sure. Need to test again. What is bitstream?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited June 2017
    = Donald Trump tweets?

not good on Oppo as I was trying to get worked up about the 205...
    though it could be an Marantz issue as well.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Update 2.0: Continue to have issues. Been back and forth with Oppo. Connected via HDMI. Will not play SACD. Plays everything else. Randomly on 4th try it started to play SACD. For no reason it just plays sometimes. Will try again tomorrow. Did install a new HDMI cable. Not sure that is it because it can play 4k DVDs fine. Also plays CDs just fine.

This happened with my NAD 758 AVR & my Oppo 103, If the Oppo was set to Auto I could hear the SACD but it was playing as a PCM via HDMI

If I told the to force (not auto select) SACD and I got no sound, because my NAD AVR could not decode DSD.

So I hooked it up via Analog cables as Tony suggested so that the OPPO's DAC decoded the DSD file for me and I had sound that was actually DSD not PCM..
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Kingkwas
    voltz wrote: »

This happened with my NAD 758 AVR & my Oppo 103, If the Oppo was set to Auto I could hear the SACD but it was playing as a PCM via HDMI

If I told the to force (not auto select) SACD and I got no sound, because my NAD AVR could not decode DSD.

So I hooked it up via Analog cables as Tony suggested so that the OPPO's DAC decoded the DSD file for me and I had sound that was actually DSD not PCM..

What is the difference between DSD and PCM?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited June 2017
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    From Marantz website re HDMI features for SR5011. Notice the "X" beside DSD.

10ur9t43hec5.jpg

From Marantz website and SR5011 manual. Tony and Voltz gave you the answer - use analog cables (RCA L/R) to the AVR from the Oppo.

v06iynaah0b1.jpg

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA