Blown tweeters and mid bass Rti a9??l

Hello,

I accidentially broke the tweeters when microphone got distraction voice with too much voice settings BUT I also burned somehow the mid range 5.25" woofers when I applied only around 250 maximum Watts to speakers through the t.amp E-800amplifier. I am really confused and disappointment because Polk Audio says that these rti a9`s can take up to 500 Watts and I was not even close there. I love the sound of these speakers but I´m really disappointed and frustrated because I was only trying to upgrade my system to work perfect with these speakers but got only fried elements with the power that not even half of that Polk Audio claims. Now I´m trying to get new tweeters and mid ranges but I´m also afraid of playing these speakers with the new amplifier, I guess I just have to power these maximum around 150 watts to be safe.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You can blow a driver on a 1,000 watt speaker with a 50 watt amp. Look up amplifier clipping.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Clipped. With impunity.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    They clipped. the volume was too high, and I bet they were distorting right before this happened. When I had my A9's they were quite happy with a 400 watt amplifier at 120amps of peak to peak current.

I just so happened to burn the resistors on the crossovers of my lsi15's years ago, they all of a sudden started distorting and I could smell burning. I turned it down, and my whole living room stunk like burnt electronics for days. This was running off the same amplifier but with 800 watts on hand.

Not the speakers fault. And if you want ear bleeding decibels, return the polks and buy some klipsch speakers.

Those A9's are power hungry, and like quality amplification. Note the word quality here. Watts Aren't the only spec to look at when buying an amp.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Where's that hillbilly boy? He needs to read this thread.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Microphone ? Are you trying to use these as Karaoke speakers ? That is not their intended use.

Read up a bit about power, watts/ amperes /noise/distortion, and how it relates to frying speakers like you just did.

If you need Karaoke speakers, buy speakers made for that specific purpose. Polk doesn't make any that will take that punishment. Right tool for the right job and all that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Petri82 wrote: »
    Hello,

I accidentially broke the tweeters when microphone got distraction voice with too much voice settings BUT I also burned somehow the mid range 5.25" woofers when I applied only around 250 maximum Watts to speakers through the t.amp E-800amplifier. I am really confused and disappointment because Polk Audio says that these rti a9`s can take up to 500 Watts and I was not even close there. I love the sound of these speakers but I´m really disappointed and frustrated because I was only trying to upgrade my system to work perfect with these speakers but got only fried elements with the power that not even half of that Polk Audio claims. Now I´m trying to get new tweeters and mid ranges but I´m also afraid of playing these speakers with the new amplifier, I guess I just have to power these maximum around 150 watts to be safe.

Your speakers are broken due to Misuse. They are home audio speakers, not PA speakers--You must learn the difference.
    Home audio speakers cannot take the distortion that pro audio speakers take.

Hillbillies are a lot smarter than some people here and not as irritating. Get you head out of your F-a-n-n-y--Your breath Stinks.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • Petri82
    Petri82 Posts: 3
    Ok thank you for your comments and thank you very much also to all you saying me as hillbilly!! Yes I know I´m stupid and burned these speakers with misuse!! Now I just wanted to get some new tweeters. Does anyone have? Or is it too stupid to ask??!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Call Polk customer service, they should have the parts you'll need. Maybe order multiples, because the same thing will happen if you don't change what your doing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Polk will help you get your speakers straightened out, probably all you'll need to do is telephone them at: 1-800-377-7655 select option 2 and have your speaker's serial numbers and the date and place of purchase handy when you call. They'll send you what you need.
    Regards, Ken
  • Petri82
    Petri82 Posts: 3
    Ok thank you. I WON`T misuse these speakers no more, I am not that stupid god damn!! I have now separate PA speakers for Karaoke and Disco use.
  • when i was a teenager, probably about 15 or 16 i hooked a microphone and guitar up to my stereo system and i destroyed a set of speakers..

home stereo systems are really not made for live music, things like microphones can have a pretty hot high gain signal, they can feed back and all kind of stuff that can wreck a average set of speakers.

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    A steady 110db on music from just the A9's, Parasound 3500, 350wpc, sounds great for about a minute then earplugs go in, but no sweating. They'll do it. All about good clean distortion and clipping free power.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    As a teen and young adult I blew out my ear with music & guns and a Router that does 108 dbl's all day long. Now I watch my ears and save what I have left with a meter in my hand when I jam :p

I can still appreciate music but $%#$ I was so stupid and no one warn me till years later.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD