Ripping Blu Ray audio

Options
is it possible?
High Fidelity Pure Audio (HFPA) is a marketing initiative, spearheaded by the Universal Music Group, for audio-only Blu-ray optical discs.[2] Launched in 2013[3] as a potential successor to the Compact disc, it has been compared with DVD-A and SACD, which had similar aims.[4][2]
HFPA is encoded as 24-bit/96 kHz or 24-bit/192 kHz linear PCM ("high-resolution audio"), optionally losslessly compressed with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.[5]
HFPA discs are compatible with existing Blu-Ray players.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    This assumes people are willing to buy discs again. Not so sure that's a future worth investing in. Heck, I can't even remember last time I bought a regular Blu-Ray disc, not too may movies out worth owning anymore and I sure don't use the player for music. Concert discs can sound awesome though.

This is like SACD without having to shell out for an additional player. Still, the future is getting away from discs and going digital. I view this as another super niche market doomed to fail.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    It is possible to rip the audio tracks but they have to be decrypted with something like makemkv. Even the two channel tracks are large. I think it is a better option to purchase downloads rather than buying the discs and then trying to rip the tracks if someone is mainly interested in high res stereo.

The main purpose of Blu Ray Audio is high resolution surround which means it is best to play the audio from disc in a high quality Blu Ray player. I agree it is a niche format that isn't going far. I have 22 albums in the format but haven't bought any in the last few months.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    how we 'rip' digital things at my house (if we get a choice about it) -- just sayin'.

10170000416_e795144959_b.jpgdubbin by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just wondering l have some Steve Wilson blew ray disc. He seems to like the format. He also seems to like doing other artists remixes in DVD-A. What a butt hole.