cross over freqs and enclosure sizes

brody05
brody05 Posts: 329
Heres an interesting one.

I have some RT3000s and want to improve the satelites sound by bringing them into line with the sound of some RT55is.

I have some crossovers from some 55is and was going to put them straight into the 3000s satelites, same tweeter driver combo but smaller enclosures, how much will the enclosure size affect the sound ie will they sound similar to some 55is with the cross over changes??????

If necessary I can build some 55i size cabinets but would prefer to keep the look of the 3000s original.

I have heard that you can fool a speaker and make it seem like a bigger enclosure by stuffing it with dacron/tetron, is this correct???

My overall goal is to run the subs off the pre outs (front left and right) and run a full range signal to the modified satelites and adjust high cut on the subs accordingly.

Thoughts please..........

Thankyou
Brody
Post edited by brody05 on

Comments

• brody05
    edited December 2004
    C'mon guys/gals, help me please............:(

Will it work?????
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited December 2004
    Not likely, the speakers were designed as such to stay that way, and you move around drivers, they will sound different. Also chnaging the crossover affects perofmormance, Thee phase may not match, extension wouldn't quite make it etc. If you look hard enough, you will find dozens of others wondering the same thing as you (with their own respective speakers of course.)
    Good luck with your pursuits,
    Matt
    and yes, Dacron does make the bok "bigger"
  • brody05
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the help.
    I have done a few searches and quite a bit of reading and from what I understand it is a bit hit or miss really.

The enclsure being a bit smaller in the 3000s with running different x over freqs can cause a restriction in the excursion of the driver and poss burn out at highr volumes.

The enclosure size difference is within 20 t0 25% so stuffing could help aleviate some of that........

having no port only changes freq response ie depth so adjusting x over at subs should sort that..........

The 3000s originally have a HPF of 80hz meaning they drivers are not going lower than 80hz right? by changing x over they drivers will be going lower creating more work but not a lot.....

3000s x over state driver 1, 2nd order LPF 1.2 khz, driver 2, 2nd order LPF 2khz
    55is state 2nd order LPF 2khz (? both drivers), 2nd order HPF 2khz

Does that mean that there is actually not that much difference between the two other than the midrange in the 3000s doing less work (ie 1.2 khz as opposed to 2 khz) and ? not doing as much with the HPF of 80 hz on both?????

I am not sure if I understand this correctly and appreciate any help, I will change x overs in a week or so (once all organised) and let you all know the results but I really want the 3000s satelites to sound like the 55is.... sitting on a couple of subs of course, it would be nice to do it with out changing the look but time will tell.

PS. Might just be me but I think the satelites in the 3000s sound a bit muddy.....
  • brody05
    edited December 2004
    Well I seem to be talking to myself but just incase there is some interest out there I thought I would share my success in the conversion stated.

Changed the crossovers which resulted in a great improvement however at higher (quite high) they started to loose it a bit.

Changed the drivers to 55is as well and hey presto, the result is fantastic. they sound great. Didn't have to port them so I can put back to original if required in the future.

Interestingly enough the 3000s mids are run in series as opposed to the parralel that the 55is are running, maybe a difference in Ohm rating between the two sets of drivers but at least I have acheived the sound I wanted, full range 55is at the top and flexable bass adjustment at the bottom.

For those interested I run the 3000 subs off the front left and right pre outs, a seperate (home built) sub running off the LFe with an NAD 218 as the power for it (down to 10hz). A PSW 650 in the rear running off the rear pre outs and sitting inbetween a pair of 55is, FX1000s in the side channels and a pair of 55is either side of the TV for centers with a Denon AVCA1se running them (5800 equivalent).

Not the SRTs I once had but looking as trying to set up my own SDA effect and currently reading up on it, if anyone knows more about it let me know.

Thanks
    Brody :p
  • PolkFreak
    PolkFreak Posts: 91
    edited December 2004
    Brody05, I'm listening so your not talking to yourself:D I did something simalar with my SDA 2 A's. You can look my post up called SDA crossover mod and polyfill dump. Glad to hear about your fix.
  • Enclosures are part of the speaker sound and designed to work with each other as a unit. Any change makes a difference. The best enclosure period is plexiglass. It's expensive and heavy but worth it. 3/4" makes the best but you have to port it and that's when you depend on your own ears. Play with it until your happy because there's a lot of tweaking you can do on speakers. I've worked on them 45 years and had every thing you can think of. I put a pair of Bose 901s in a car and blew the wind shield out when I turned it up. Peace and Blessings. Brother Boles
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    13 year old thread!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk