Anybody into BBQ/Smoking?

13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Mojo and chicken or turkey are simply a match made in taste bud heaven. Easily my most favorite combination. We actually marinade the Thanksgiving turkey for 2-3 days in 2 bottles of this before being placed into the rotisserie.

After all these years, my favorite BBQ sauce still remains Old Mule.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    polrbehr wrote: »
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Solution is to make a lot at one time! I have enough to last me months
    Another is to just buy some pre-made rub; the offerings of the McCormick company,
    especially their GrillMates line, are tasty, inexpensive, and consistently made. I used to do my own rubs too, I've found that theirs are better. Really.

@stangman67, which smoker is your new one? I looked at Vision website but can't seem to locate it (at least in that color?).

It is a classic series that is exclusively sold at Sam's club. Same basic grill as the old classic with the addition of a cast iron top vent and the ash drawer( that I wish wasn't there).
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Kinda late to the discussion, but I've using an Akorn Kamado since last fall (stole it from Walmart on clearance for $140+tax). Yes, the build quality is not comparable to the ceramic ones, but for that price, it was definitely worth it and I expect to get a few years out of it at least.

I don't seem to have the trouble that you have holding 225-ish. I don't even use a controller. I've done pork butts a couple times with no issues holding that temp for 9-12 hours. I get some spikes and dips, but nothing crazy.

I have yet to try a brisket. I will probably try one later this spring.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Man, you guys are killing me! I think it's time to step my smoke game up. I've been using an old Weber kettle, but, it's about useless for any serious smoking.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    billbillw wrote: »
    Kinda late to the discussion, but I've using an Akorn Kamado since last fall (stole it from Walmart on clearance for $140+tax). Yes, the build quality is not comparable to the ceramic ones, but for that price, it was definitely worth it and I expect to get a few years out of it at least.

I don't seem to have the trouble that you have holding 225-ish. I don't even use a controller. I've done pork butts a couple times with no issues holding that temp for 9-12 hours. I get some spikes and dips, but nothing crazy.

I have yet to try a brisket. I will probably try one later this spring.

Hell of a score there. Great price

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Nice results there @mark090852, just shows what can be accomplished with some patience and experience.

BBQ is not about cooking, it's about commitment.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I think you Master the art of indirect cooking @mark090852 :)

You can cook some seriously good stuff that way on the Weber!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    STOP IT!!!!!!

Damn I'm hungry now.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • stangman67
    I'm gonna do as ribs this weekend. I got my new Rock's BBQ Stoker Ii temperature control tell for my smoker. Should make for a real enjoyable grilling experience

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I like the reviews and looks of the Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium. May have to get one of these...
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    43mpxrduru6s.jpg
    idfz28nobsov.jpg
    aik0n3o98wwo.jpg
    d9j670lso959.jpg
    1fk6q5yncd6w.jpg
    2029yy3lgtcq.jpg
    g0lfr4oa2gtx.jpg
    ellj78bd4mr8.jpg

All done on a 22.5" Weber kettle. Except the homebrew :-)
    I use a DigiQue for rock-solid temp control
  • stangman67
    Just put these in the smoker, three racks of pork spare ribs

Doing the 3-2-1 method with some foil juice I spun up this morning. Should be good eats

IMG_20170311_130722_zpsggztxcma.jpg

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    I've got the same rib rack which I use if I'm doing more than 2 racks.

I'm doing St. Louis ribs tomorrow using a modified 3-2-1 on my WSM.

Be sure to post some after cook pics!

Happy smoking!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • stangman67
    End result. Quite yummy

IMG_20170311_191712_zpsjihmbm86.jpg

• oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Yep.
    Those ribs look perfect. I bet they taste even better.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited March 2017
    no smoking tonight but found some Pork Sirloin Chops that I baked with Panko crumbsand it was so good I missed up my diet and eat 2 pieces :( time to fast for 2 days.

gone from 242 to 218 and still doing good till tonight

thanks to Tom and others who have gave advise! I just put on some 34 jeans tonight for 1st time in years many years B) Thanks Tom! actually like the lemon water!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • stangman67
    edited March 2017
    Did an overnight pork butts smoke last night using my vision and a Rocks BBQ Stoker. This was a 14 hour cook, very stubborn shoulder this one. Results were out of this world.

IMG_20170318_123629_zps8pbnpccy.jpg

IMG_20170318_123824_zpsx641epic.jpg
    /IMG_20170318_12382

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    That looks ridiculously good!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    No doubt! I'd say that turned out perfect.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Of course. Today's lunch is slow cooked pork chops marinated in red wine brine. For heat and smoke I used a combination of oak and cherry I have been gathering from around the town thanks to Craigslist.

q392xtxhojsa.jpg
    zbsb7qy4b4r2.jpg
    ia206c1e3y8f.jpg
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Some of this will be used to wood working but there will be plenty leftovers for smoking...

4qdribmosbwc.jpg
    gf7m3wnt7xbv.jpg
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    Just fired up the smoker and put on a 15lb brisket for tomorrow!

jdfbs1h40c9r.jpg
    pbnecq7bg7qv.jpg
    pq0ykyh9alxg.jpg
  • stangman67
    Good looking brisket right there!

I'm going to give everyone fair warning on this one. Viewing the below pic may make you extremely hungry and mildly jealous. Saw a video on these awhile back and decided today was a good day to make them happen. Boneless/skinless chicken thighs stuffed with a half jalapeno pepper and a little bit of cream cheese all wrapped in some nice bacon. Smoked for about two hours at 300 degrees (definitely overdid these and they were reading 180 as I took them off), and then glazed in hot BBQ sauce. Used stubb's chicken seasoning on the things and periodically seasoned with my homemade general purpose rub. As you might imagine, they taste fantastic

IMG_20170326_135912_zpsyvjtnknr.jpg

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ricardo wrote: »
    STOP IT!!!!!!

Damn I'm hungry now.

Right...how about it. Nice job guys.

I learned that backbone removal method over last thanksgiving with poultry. Never had a juicier Turkey, and the cook times are cut in half. Did chicken the other day in the same fashion, removing the backbone, and man was it good.

This thread needs a scratch n sniff screen.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable