Smaller speakers in 2.0, 2.0 modified, or 2.1?

Options
This question has been bugging me some. The purist is straight 2Ch (2.0). Cables and such are important. With smaller speakers even at lower volume the bass can be lacking, and some of the full sound is missed. Anything effecting the audio signal tone controls, loudness button, etc. (2.0 modified), are frowned upon as effecting the signal, likely adding noise or other undesirables. Subs (2.1) fill the gap, and are common even among audiophiles. But if you are running your system through a crossover with a variety of adjustments, isn't that very similar to the extra electronics of a tone control? Why not use a parametric tone control or adjustable bass booster instead ? The small speakers may still not go as deep as a sub, but will take on the sound of a much larger full range speaker at lower volumes.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Purist = Fanatic.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy music.

The bottom line is without a sub to take some of the stress off of the speakers, usually both the midrange and the bass will sound kind of muddy. This is true even with my S60's.

Do yourself a favor and add a sub to your 2 channel and enjoy the fuller sound.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The tone controls add noise to your signal which is why most don't use them. If your system isn't too revealing , it wouldn't matter much. The better your system gets, the more present the noise in a signal becomes and more easily heard.

If your lacking lower level dynamics, there's some other issue going on. Using tone controls simply is an attempt to mask it. Your source, cabling, or impedance issues would be a good place to start.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I'm 1000% on board with a sub. My sub left my place for a bit for warranty, it's back and I missed it so much. It adds some nice depth to the sound, and I swear my sound stage becomes deeper and wider with sub in the mix.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited February 2017
    Options
    MOST of us aren't in scenarios where we can afford speakers that can actually perform well down to 20-30hz.

I personally will ALWAYS have a 2.1 setup using bookshelves crossed at 80 or 60 and a sub to handle whats below that.

It lets me put the sub in the optimal position within the room to provide bass support, and free's up the L/R to do what they need to do well, midrange and highs

I think @lightman would agree that the way I've got things setup in my loft (which is a very non optimal layout) sounds quite good, and I dont think it would sound nearly as good without the sub I've got in the mix.

Regarding tone controls, gain etc. Here is what I think..... Does it sound good to you? If yes, then continue and screw what others think.

If it doesnt..... ask for help and suggestions till it does...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Also depends on the room. My C1's are in a 10x12, no need for a sub
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I also find bass fuller at lower listening levels. My focals have pretty good bass, but it seems I have to crank them to get it.

I agree with above^^
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Purist = Fanatic.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy music.

The bottom line is without a sub to take some of the stress off of the speakers, usually both the midrange and the bass will sound kind of muddy. This is true even with my S60's.

Do yourself a favor and add a sub to your 2 channel and enjoy the fuller sound.

So true Cathy. Better yet if possible add two matching subs. The impact on the listening experience is immediate & without a doubt a game changer. It does take some time to properly integrate into one's system but the end result is well worth it. You can swap out the usual items...speaker cables, IC's, PC's, etc, etc but none of them will be as dramatic (if any) on one's listening experience as a well integrated sub or subs.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tonyb
    Options

From time to time, I will briefly turn off the sub to compare what it provides versus what I would be missing without it and my verdict is: "The sub stays."

Just to be fair, you can't just simply turn off the sub to compare. You'd also have to go into your settings and switch the speakers to Large, no sub. Just sayin'... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I don't normally use one with my CRS+'s after all of Dave's upgrades to my crossovers and the damping boards he came up with.
    But I like a sub with my 705's and my full range Omega super 7's and any bookie's. normally use my omega 8" non-ported cause its faster, but do have a SVS 12" ported for HT.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options

Some of the newer recordings (especially since 1990) seem to be a bit bass heavy as compared to earlier stuff and some of the earlier stuff has now been remastered to add more bottom end. Music tastes have changed!

This is sooo true! I DJ on the weekends and a lot of newer pop or dace music has a lot of sound in the 50HZ and down range to where you feel it but almost cant hear it ( or that's just my hearing..... that's another subject) and because of this, for most of the gigs I do I have to bring subs with. It used to be a smaller event 100 or under, even with pop music I would not need to bring subs but in the past 10 + years, I have had to bring a sub to small gigs. My tops are 15's!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited February 2017
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    If your lacking lower level dynamics, there's some other issue going on. Using tone controls simply is an attempt to mask it. Your source, cabling, or impedance issues would be a good place to start.

I like all the responses, but need to narrow things down. For a baseline (bass line? lol) people are familiar with lets say the smaller speakers are 5jr's or even 5jr+. The bass rolls off. Its a small speaker. That is the issue. Even at low volumes the bass rolls off much quicker than my 1c's, RTA11's or most other larger speakers. This is audible.

As tony said
    The tone controls add noise to your signal which is why most don't use them. If your system isn't too revealing , it wouldn't matter much. The better your system gets, the more present the noise in a signal becomes and more easily heard.

What if I took the sub out signal, after all its processing, and added it back to the main signal with a little boost. Wouldn't that be like a tone control? What about the high end crossover adding noise similar to a tone control. I am talking crossovers around 60-40Hz. Isn't noise noise? I have found the right bass boost fills out the sound. Can that be done with the same or less noise as a crossover, phase adjuster, etc?

PS I did get an audiophile answer, but I would agree with that answer being "fanatic". I'm more interested in the 2.0modified vs. crossover 2.1scenario.

• pkquat
    Options
    Strange I posted here yesterday, but its gone????

I like all the comments. @tonyb hit some key points.
    To set a baseline (bass line lol) that most should be familiar with, lets say the speakers are Polk 5jr's or even 5jr+'s. There is no issue going on, the bass simply rolls off because it is a small speaker. Even at low volumes they don't have the bass of my 1c's or RTA11's.
    I am thinking crossovers in the 40-80Hz range. This is where a lot of smaller speakers start their roll off. What if I took the the low pass signal, boosted it some, and added it back to the main. Essentially its going through the crossover with a small boost. How is that different from some tone controls? Doesn't a crossover in a 2.1 system add the same noise or maybe more? It has to go through a parametric crossover which often effects the high pass. There are also level controls and phase angle for the low pass. This seems like more electronics than I good quality tone control.

A side note, on the dual subs. I get that you can use a lower power amp on the small speakers, have nice package for the bass woofer, but essentially you built a full range speaker that may or may not be more compact.

PS I did get an audiophile answer, but I would call that solution "fanatic"
  • tonyb
    Options
    Tone controls are basically added switches with inherit noise in them. Sure, you could separate the frequencies with software, separate crossovers, blah blah...but we are talking bookies here. They are only going to produce so much low bass no matter what you do. Subs, especially dual subs with bookies will give you that bigger sound and lower bass you may feel your missing. Nothing "audiophile" about those suggestions, it's simply what works better in a given situation with a target result in mind.

As far as noise being "Fanatic"....not really. You don't realize how much is there until you hear when it's gone or eliminated. Your ears think the noise is part of the music and you become accustomed to it. When you eliminate it, as best you can anyway, the music takes on a different tone, coming out of a dark background and you can hear the music as being more clear/dynamic and notes seem to float better, the decay is more noticeable. That adds to the enjoyment in my book. That's not just my opinion either, anyone here who has gone down that road would surely say the same things.

Anyway....if using tone controls suits you, rock on. Like Cathy said, is no right or wrong way to enjoy your music, just as long as you do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pkquat
    Options
    Atmosphere may be a better term than tone.

I am having a hard time understanding the difference between crossover circuitry and tone control, or bass boost circuitry in the analog sense. I would think each would introduce noise as they are similar. Depending on the tone control they look similar accept with the tone control the signal is added back to the original.

The "fanatic" audiophile" solution was the small speakers with no crossover. The preamp output was split to the main and subs.Then much work was done to find subs that would blend well with the mains. It started with one sub with only crossover frequency control. He may have even started with a separate crossover and amp. Moving the sub to find the right position and timing. Eventually it became two subs under the speakers, which IMO just became a full range speaker, or a biamped one to be more accurate. It was no longer a bookshelf speaker system.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I normally listen to my receiver in "pure direct" mode and do not add any bass or treble tone adjustment. The tone adjustment is a nice option for speakers that need adjusting or music that is poorly recorded. If I thought my speakers were "too bright" I could then make a treble adjustment and tone down the brightness.

Yes, you could use the tone adjustment, but you also lose the details in the process. For me anyway, I never liked using tone controls, it made the music sound thin, too congested. They may benefit some crappy recordings, but taking a crap sandwich and replacing one thing in it with another lessor form of crap, won't make it taste any better. Just my opinion obviously. Rock your tone controls if it floats your boat.

Congrats on the A1's btw.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    I'm not following, I'm slow sometimes. lol

If the A1's are going in a 5.1 system....but you have them connected to the B channel, the 2 don't jive for dolby digital.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Ok, gotcha....no problem. You have the speakers but not the receiver yet, or pre and amps, to do 5.1 yet. Must have missed that somewhere.

Either choice will work for you, but personally the Emo stuff might be a tad bright with RTI speakers, just my opinion there. Also, you'd need to invest in a lot more cables going the pre/amp route so figure that in to the expense also.

IMHO, I think the receiver your looking at is just fine for your purpose and your gear. You can always add an amp later on to it if you felt a need for bigger speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're exactly right. The triple digit RX-A models are pretty much RX-V's that have probably just passed QC with better than average marks. The quad digit models are much better, more neutral sounding instead of bright, more power, etc. If you want to save some money and you don't care about 4K right now look for a used 1050, 1040, 1030, and on...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I purchased a Parasound P5 for the bass management to use in a dedicated bookie system, however, after experimenting with a tube pre that had dual pre outs I've pretty much decided I don't need that feature. I use the 2nd set of pre outs to run directly to a pair of subs and find this set up to be ideal. True, there's not quite as much control, but, it works extremely well without added circuits. The only thing I could really use is a remote control for the sub and I know there are a few that offer that feature.
  • pkquat
    Options
    I was researching tone control circuits and saw some of the phase issues they cause, but I guess there are some that don't cause phase issues and are more like a crossover circuit. I thought one was done by David Hafler that was supposed to keep the phase, be sonically neutral in the center, and unlike others did not cause a bump, but raised all the frequencies above or below a certain target and cutoff slope. I can't seam to find that info now, but that may be why I found the Hafler bass boost better than other tone controls. I've been using it with my 5jr's and M5A's and it really extends their range. It seams they have similar roll off points, but different rates. Once I get a good sub, I'll have to compare it with its own crossover, and the Parasound crossover.

I've also wondered how you mesh passives with subs and try and get the phase right through the blended or crossing frequency range.
  • pkquat
    Options
    As low as it goes? -3db? Does this assume the PR is fully active? I assume an active crossover is needed to increase the cutoff slope of the speaker to reduce overlap.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    What are you using to drive your speakers? Is it an AVR? Is it separates? If an AVR you have controls such as speaker size which determines what info goes to the mains, and, you'll have a crossover point you can choose. Some AVR's do a better job than others in handling this setup. If you're using an integrated or separates you would be relying on the sub to do the cut off unless you put an outboard crossover system in the system somewhere.

In my setup I send everything to the monitors from one set up preamp outputs and use the second set of pre outs to send signal to the subs. I use the subs crossover to blend. Minimal intrusion in the system for a sub setup.
  • pkquat
    Options
    Right now the easy test method is an older AVR as a preamp. Sound quality takes a little hit, but I thing the crossover is digital with a digital input. It may even A/D/A analog signals. I have a cheaper sub connected to it.

I actually hooked the jr+s up today out of curiosity. The crossover points are fixed at 40, 60, 80, 90...120, 160, 200. 60 sort of worked, but I didn't get that great of a blend. 80 was better, but by then I was really noticing the location of the SW.

I have a P5 as well, but have not explored it yet.

Once I have a better sub, I may explore it more.