2.1 or 3.1

I have a 2.1 setup currently for my main living room tv.

Polk T15 bookshelf
Polk PSW108 sub
Pioneer VSX524K receiver

I know setting up rear speakers is going to be a challenge with what I call "wife acceptance factor" so I have ruled those out.

My question is will adding a center channel be worth it?

Right now my receiver is downmixing to stereo and I'm not sure if downmixing to 3.1 will be an option or if I will be missing sounds. Just looking for advice.

If I did get a center channel I will probably stick with the T series center.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

Answers

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome Andy, the center channel carries the bulk of movies and would be a very good addition to your setup.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • My concern is without the rear speakers will switching to a mode that supports the center channel cause some of the audio to be pushed to a rear channel that doesn't exist? I guess it's really a question for Pioneer but I was curious to hear from those experienced with 3.1.
  • Btw @cfrizz thanks for the response!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    No, if there is no signal to rear speakers then sound won't be sent to them. Usually you have to go into the menu setting on the receiver and turn on the speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    With regards to whether or not the center channel would be worth it, it depends on which center channel you get. If you're going to get the T30, which looks like it retails for $100, then I'd say it's definitely worth it. I know nothing about a speaker, but adding center-channel audio for just $100 is going to be a huge marginal improvement over no center channel at all, especially if you have a varied seating arrangement in whichever room you've placed your system (better sound for all).

I actually ran a Polk 3.1 for a while, and loved it. I have a 6.2 system right now and honestly can't tell much of a difference. Surround for most media such as tv shows and movies is poor. Games are where it really helps; nevertheless, I don't LOVE it. The center channel adds much more.