Official SVS owners thread!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

My JL is dead and awaiting a new plate amp. Very disappointing for a sub this new. I've had an itchy finger for an svs sb13 again. Muuust resist!

I wouldn't, if something is "this new" and you are already doing repairs on it, then to me that says poor quality build. Which means I find a different maker for the broken component!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Just snagged a SB12-NSD out of the outlet for $350!

Velodyne wanted $400 to repair the amp in my SPL that breaks every 14 months...

I think I'll stick with SVS from now on!

The black ash finish should go nicely with the Totems!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    @Upstatemax nice score. That's almost giving it away.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    cfrizz wrote: »

My JL is dead and awaiting a new plate amp. Very disappointing for a sub this new. I've had an itchy finger for an svs sb13 again. Muuust resist!

I wouldn't, if something is "this new" and you are already doing repairs on it, then to me that says poor quality build. Which means I find a different maker for the broken component!

You wouldn't believe how much of a pita this has been to finally get repaired. I was told JL does not repair amps, and there are no authorized repair centers. All of JLs parts are specially made for JL, therefore no parts are available for them. They send returbed amps, and mine gets sent back to be refurbished and back into the system. This only takes place at their factory in Florida, and no where else. Seems to be top secret stuff!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Lord, just what I thought. You should have just dumped it and gone with another sub company.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Ugh. That sounds like a big PIA!

At least Velodyne was easy to deal with when my amps went bad under warranty...
  • mikeyb128
    edited December 2016
    JL called me today, they are sending me a new amp and driver for free! Even though I am not the original owner and warranty not transferable, they are still covering it. It's been a few weeks in the making, and maybe one more till I get the parts. I'm going to consider this good customer service and a good company. Considering it's technically not under warranty, they are sending 1200$ in parts my way. I'm happy!

This little sub kicks ****, and belts out loads of deep tight bass. It's incredible.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    JL called me today, they are sending me a new amp and driver for free! Even though I am not the original owner and warranty not transferable, they are still covering it. It's been a few weeks in the making, and maybe one more till I get the parts. I'm going to consider this good customer service and a good company. Considering it's technically not under warranty, they are sending 1200$ in parts my way. I'm happy!

This little sub kicks ****, and belts out loads of deep tight bass. It's incredible.

I guess no svs for u.

Bah humbug
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mikeyb128

I guess no svs for u.

Bah humbug

Saving for your Cary. Duhh :wink:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V

I guess no svs for u.

Bah humbug

Saving for your Cary. Duhh :wink:

What what.... :o
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • I guess I officially qualify to post here. I have a pb2000. Haven't got to hear it yet, haven't hooked up my stuff in the new house yet. Plus I discovered when moving, my wife's old cat chewed damn near through my sub cable that I had on my old sub. One more thing to buy. Any recommendation on a good affordable sub cable?
  • polrbehr
    bigmike66 wrote: »
    I guess I officially qualify to post here. I have a pb2000. Haven't got to hear it yet, haven't hooked up my stuff in the new house yet. Plus I discovered when moving, my wife's old cat chewed damn near through my sub cable that I had on my old sub. One more thing to buy. Any recommendation on a good affordable sub cable?
    The ones sold by SVS were a pretty good value, they used to offer BetterCables (IIRC) which I've used for 9 years with no issues. But now they have SoundPath.
    Sent you a PM.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Joey_V
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Here is my contribution. HT Setup with dual SB-13's. They get the job done for movies but also do well for music. Still trying to figure out if there is a problem with one because the gain set by MCAC is different by 4db (checked several times). Already swapped cables and sub out connections on receiver. Could just be difference in position/room gain. Going to swap them next weekend to see if it follows sub or stays with position.

Details about setup:
    Pioneer Elite SC-99/SC-09TX(just as an amp)
    Polk LSiM703's for FL,FR,SL,SR LSiM706 Center, Polk 900LS x4 for Atmos
    Pioneer Elite BDP-88
    Panasonic P65ZT60 Plasma TV
    Panamax 5300 (Furman Reference 15i en route to replace)
    i00qe8pusva4.jpg

Dang that's nice. Dual ultras
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Dang that's nice. Dual ultras

Thanks.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • polrbehr

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Here is my contribution. HT Setup with dual SB-13's. They get the job done for movies but also do well for music. Still trying to figure out if there is a problem with one because the gain set by MCAC is different by 4db (checked several times). Already swapped cables and sub out connections on receiver. Could just be difference in position/room gain. Going to swap them next weekend to see if it follows sub or stays with position.

That looks nice and clean.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • sgmsmg
    gurot1 wrote: »

That looks nice and clean.

Thanks! I like your setup as well. Let us know how you like that SVS EQ. My Pioneer SC-99 has a decent sub EQ but I would like to know how the SVS one is.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    polrbehr wrote: »

You'd think with that system he could at least get a matching center.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    So who is going to be the first to buy the new behemoth?
  • mikeyb128
    Willow wrote: »

Only 3500 cad for the PB16 ultra lol
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V

Yeah who's it going to be?
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519

Only 3500 cad for the PB16 ultra lol

The low Canadian dollar really ruins it these days.I had entertained idea of upgrading to dual sb16 but it just wasn't going to be worth it.

I haven't played around with the new layout much yet. I can tell subs behind me, but surprisingly I don't find that as bothersome as I thought it would.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • I received two gloss piano black SB1000s yesterday to use with Nola Contenders in a small room and I'm real happy with the results. On sale for $799 shipped for the pair.
  • sgmsmg
    TForan wrote: »
    I received two gloss piano black SB1000s yesterday to use with Nola Contenders in a small room and I'm real happy with the results. On sale for $799 shipped for the pair.

Nice! Did you get them from the President's Day Sale? Enjoy!

I purchased an SB13 from the SVS outlet sale for my 2 channels setup but I won't get it until next week. FedEx somehow put it on the wrong truck so it traveled an extra 1000+ miles out of the way.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • polrbehr

I purchased an SB13 from the SVS outlet sale for my 2 channels setup but I won't get it until next week. FedEx somehow put it on the wrong truck so it traveled an extra 1000+ miles out of the way.

So that makes 3? Sweet!

• sgmsmg
    polrbehr wrote: »

So that makes 3? Sweet!

Yup. If it ever makes it here. Not going in the same room though.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • Tacitus86
    Tacitus86 Posts: 19
    edited March 2017
    I just received my PB16-Ultra subwoofer on Monday, it's set up and working but will require some tuning between using REW and a microphone and the YPAO room correction on the Yamaha CX-A5000 processor to optimize everything.

Out of the box with some minor initial adjustments the low frequencies and volume it produces on a dynamic movie soundtrack such as U-571 or Edge of Tomorrow are very impressive, I'm sure it will be even better once it's dialed in.

For music I've been testing it with classical pieces like The Planets, the low organ notes are shaking parts of the house I've never heard before.

It's also rather large, here is a pic of it in front of an SDA-SRS for comparison; at 175 lbs. it almost weighs as much:

hyg9x4626dua.jpg
  • sgmsmg
    Congrats on the PB16! You are the first here with one I think. That thing is a beast. I can't imagine moving it around.
    2 Channel

Home Theater