Advice for Hi-res files

2»

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited December 2016
    So 192/24 can be sent out over coax/SPDIF? I assume SACD and DSD files get converted to PCM in this instance? How does a SACD converted to PCM compare to 192/24 I wonder?

I love the versatility of the Oppo I graciously won from nooshinjohn, I just don't like how it sounds compared to my vinyl setup.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Unless the Marantz is higher quality than I think, you will be introducing Jitter
    anyway. Get a great external DAC and raise the quality of all of your music.
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    So 192/24 can be sent out over coax/SPDIF? I assume SACD and DSD files get converted to PCM in this instance? How does a SACD converted to PCM compare to 192/24 I wonder?

I love the versatility of the Oppo I graciously won from nooshinjohn, I just don't like how it sounds compared to my vinyl setup.

@Nightfall
    SPDIF (*Sony Philips Digital InterFace-the inventors of the Compact Disc-which is in this case the optical and coax outputs*) really wasn't designed to output anything much higher than about 48khz.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited December 2016
    Nightfall wrote: »

@Nightfall
    SPDIF (*Sony Philips Digital InterFace-the inventors of the Compact Disc-which is in this case the optical and coax outputs*) really wasn't designed to output anything much higher than about 48khz.

I researched this awhile back and I believe that was the case before the hardware was capable of sending higher then 48 kHz on a single cable.

Digital coax from what I understand is very capable of 24/192, has been used this way for some time. The issue is getting the full resolution of SACD, blu ray, or DVD-A into a DAC other than HDMI which is where the max of 48 kHz steps in due to copyright issues, or just use the analog out.

In regards to the DAC in the Marantz, both the 8004 and 8005 use the Cirrus CS 4398A, the Oppo 103 and 105 use different DAC's, Cirrus CD4382A and the 32 bit ESS ES 9018 Sabre respectively. Reviews have the 105 on top as far as SQ but I've never heard one.

I love the 8004 for 2ch CD, sounds wonderful.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am about to have this same problem,.I hope there is a 8006 that will adress this efore I buy an 8005.
  • gmcman
    Thought about a new thread but want to continue on the info here. I haven't made any progress on this, but wanted to move forward.

Been debating building a laptop or micro-atx size pc with a decent sound card, or a good external fact.

What I'm looking to do is convert flac from a hard drive to coaxial dig, so I can input to my Marantz 8004. My other option is to change players but will seek options first.

I figure it's easier to control the external hd with a pc or laptop but I really don't know the best option to maintain high SQ.

All help appreciated.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2017
    I don't know about the (D) version BDP-103; but my standard BDP-103 outputs up to 24/192 via coaxial or toslink. Verified by the bit rate indicators on my Benchmark DAC2.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gmcman
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I don't know about the (D) version BDP-103; but my standard BDP-103 outputs up to 24/192 via coaxial or toslink. Verified by the bit rate indicators on my Benchmark DAC2.

Yes, the "D" version is the same, I have thought about trying taking the coax out of the 103D into the 8004.

Im also now contemlplating the PS Audio NuWave DSD dac instead of upgrading to the 8005. I can keep my 8004 as a transport, but it will come down to SQ of the NuWave over the dac in the 8004/8005.

I'd prefer to keep the number of components down and go for the 8005. Curious on opinions between the NuWave and the 8005.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Doesn’t you marantz have a usb input?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    erniejade wrote: »

Yes, the 8005 has a usb input.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • gmcman
    erniejade wrote: »

Sorry...yes, as Machone stated, however it doesn't input the full 24/192 resolution through the USB, only the coaxial as the optical I believe tops out at 96kHz.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Yeah, I don't know about the 8004 but 8005 does support the higher rez via usb.
    uz748vbdsv4o.jpg
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I am about to have this same problem,.I hope there is a 8006 that will adress this efore I buy an 8005.

This will happen one day, probably with the 9006 series :s