Polk Audio RTiA7 Fortress Plus

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited June 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Further working on the Fortress Plus builds, trying to further smooth out the upper sections and I am liking the outcome of this layout.

It is also interesting to jam pack all of this on the plates. The Plus builds are a little tough :)

Tweeter Network -
Clarity ESA, Mundorf Mox, Jantzen Inductors

Midrange Network -
Clarity Cap ESA, Jantzen Foil Inductor, Mundorf Mox

Bass Network -
Clarity ESA, Jantzen Inductor, Mundorf Mox

Streetwires internal wiring, gold disconnects
Lexan substrate
Aluminum terminal plate
insulated gold plated binding post
Point to point wired

They will be making a journey to Russia!e3nhtd3qdd0p.jpg
z77ma6ehxyf2.jpg
hdf2ikmk7ybr.jpg
o4x45brl0o24.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• VR3
    I thought these deserved a bump :p hehhe
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    So sexy
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Hi guys, I did this mod to my RTiA7's about two years ago. At first I noticed they sounded a bit smoother but I wanted something better, so I upgraded and the Polk's went out into the living room system where the TV is. I started listening to the rock station on cable about three months ago, so they've been getting a lot of hours on them. Well, I am now a firm believer in capacitor break-in. The speakers sound awesome now across the range, most notable is the deeper bass and the smoother highs. I guess good things do come to those that wait. Thanks VR3, camaroguy.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nope that stuff is all in your head no such thing........

Ducking for cover.......

>:)B)
  • VR3
    jdj1hc1beg2v.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    That's a lot of copper.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Must be the upgrade to his snowblower. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    I needed more bass in my blower....

hmmmmmmmmm
  • So the rumors about hanging up the soldering iron are false?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• VR3
    edited December 2016
    I never said I was hanging it up, I just said I was cutting back on it, I don't mind doing one off builds. I really enjoy Fortress Plus/V2 and my Monastery builds. Right now I go case by case and I only take on projects that maximize my time. Essentially, really small projects don't make sense for me yo do but doing what would average to 8-10 big projects a year, I feel that is where I am comfortable with.

I wont be as active I was before, I was doing 50-60 a year previously where as I have cut it back to that 8-10 number.

I still really enjoy doing it, just to much going on for me to devote the time I was doing before.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^So what your saying is.... if I dropped off my entire 5 channel LSi setup you'd be more likely to take that on then say a single set of speakers hehehehe....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    Actually, yes... Lol that is exactly it
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    VR3 wrote: »
    Actually, yes... Lol that is exactly it

Someday... someday...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    So something we experimented with these on after the fact was cutting out some lows in the midrange. We tried a hand full of values to put in front of the inductor in that circuit and the results were positive. I may offer this as an optional tweak in the future...30lmkeahd7l2.jpg
  • So it would raise the crossover point of the mids or attenuate the lows?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• VR3
    The 100uf cap before the mid inductor rolls off the lows from the midrange driver. I have not personally heard or experienced the results, but the owner is extremely pleased.