Breakfast laughs

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS Wednesdays are Omelet day here at the Hardy household.
    Must be nice.
    PS Wednesday is pre-packaged granola bar day, just like the rest of the week. The only thing i got going for me is when my wife smacks my a$$ as i walk out the door. :(

It all started back when I was still a workin' stiff. The dump in Harvard is open Wednesday mornings starting at (if memory serves) 7:30 AM. So, instead of my usual oh-dark-thirty departure for work, I'd sleep in (relatively speaking), fix breakfast, go to the dump :) and thence to work. Good times.

Breakfast was excellent here, today (if I do say so myself).

-- and I do miss the Harvard dump :blush:
  • Don't know about scrappie but I'll eat poutine any day of the week for breakfast lol, some steak on the side with an egg is always a bonus
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Even though I am an English import, living just outside Philly for the past 25 years has endeared me to the subtleties and nuances of the sublime scrapple taste. A few miles away from us is a town with a pork processing plant that makes, among other pork products, scrapple. The town stinks so bad, I don't know how the residents live there, but it all adds to the scrapple mystique. Scrapple, multiple fried eggs, mushrooms, caramelized tomatoes, fried bread- all fried in pork fat - and maybe some baked beans makes for the breakfast of the gods*.

*Sponsored by the let's make more money for heart surgeons campaign.
  • mhardy6647
    English fried bread is a wonderful thing.
    As is black pudding.

I loves me some English fried breakfast.

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I'm getting hungry again. Breakfast time can't come soon enough.
  • mhardy6647
    as you said, "the most important meal of the day"!

:)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    It's a delicacy!

Not sure I would refer to ground up.pig snout, and other unused articles from pig, as a delicacy.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    kharp1 wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    It's a delicacy!

Not sure I would refer to ground up.pig snout, and other unused articles from pig, as a delicacy.

Wimp
  • mdaudioguy
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Good! More for the rest of us! My sister just bought half a pig, and we ended up with 10 pounds of scrapple in our freezer, amongst other assorted pig parts.
  • mhardy6647
    Scrapple is nature's way of providing 510 pounds of food from a 500 pound pig.

;)

Let none among you besmirch scrapple unless he hath supped upon it.

original_scrap_rev_1024x1024.jpg?v=1452209863
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, this reminds me of a joke. I'll take a shot at reconstructing it from memory (although I am sure it could be found intact somewhere on teh webs).
    A fellow is driving, late at night, on a deserted country road. Suddenly, in the glare of his lights, a deer appears, right in front of him. The driver swerves, misses the deer -- but ends up careening off the road into a ditch. He is trapped in the car.

Some time passes. The driver struggled to free himself, but slowly lost energy and finally resigned himself to fate. Peering out through the door window, he notices a three-legged pig hobbling towards the wreck.

The pig hobbles up to the door, sniffs, and then turns around and hobbles off.
    Crestfallen, the man sinks into a stupor.

A short while later, a tractor chuffs up the road, driven by a farmer. The three-legged pig sits next to the farmer on the tractor. The farmer stops at the wreck, hops down, pries open the door and frees the exhausted driver.

The driver, overjoyed, thanks the farmer profusely.
    "But how did you find me?" he asked.

The farmer explained that the three-legged pig is very intelligent. Having found the wreck, the pig had toddled home, awoken the farmer and coerced him to follow the pig's grunts and squeals to the site of the wreck. Knowing the pig so well, the farmer knew it must be something serious.

"That's amazing" said the thankful driver. "But -- the poor pig -- has only three legs. There must be a story behind that?"

The farmer looked at the man and said evenly, "Well -- when you have a pig that's this special, you don't eat him all at once."

• mdaudioguy
    Good one! Your previous post reminded me that we drove through Bridgeville, DE (Home of RAPA Scrapple) around this time last year. Didn't stop, but next time I will see if I can.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Scrapple is nature's way of providing 510 pounds of food from a 500 pound pig.

;)

Let none among you besmirch scrapple unless he hath supped upon it.

original_scrap_rev_1024x1024.jpg?v=1452209863

A quote from Jules Winnfield comes to mind: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mf'er."
  • mhardy6647
    Point taken ;)

Y'all scrapple haters -- all's I can say is: "more for us"!

:)
  • mdaudioguy
    Mmm... just downed this delectable slab!czg6j6nxua9t.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    WTF is that ? Looks like something an archeologist dug up looking for the Dead Sea scrolls. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Haters gonna hate.

That piece of scrapple looks nigh-on perfect from here.
    I can almost smell it (although I have a momma of a headcold and I really cannot smell much of anything at the moment).
  • mdaudioguy
    'Twas deeee-lish! Seems like most places assume that people want maple syrup with their scrapple, but I'm a fancy ketchup man.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    I like a little maple syrup on scrapple -- I also like a little maple syrup on a bowl of grits, but I wouldn't admit that just anywhere. Might jeopardize my good old boy cred.

PS speaking of maple syrup -- it don't get no better than that made by my farmer-neighbors, from the sugarbush just up the hill behind us :)

http://www.taylorbrothersfarm.com/

20110906-DSC_0904-1024x680.jpg
    30084245562_37ee22588d_b.jpgDSC_6208a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • A lot of folks don't realize the health benefits of scrapple.

If you look carefully at the "Nutrition Facts" label, you'll notice that there are ZERO grams of trans fats. Nothing but good ol' saturated fats.

Trans fats = bad. Sat fats = good

The word "saturated" comes from the Latin word, "satisfacto", which means "satisfying". Those Latino's knew some stuff back then.

Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    Well, not so fast big guy....

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are removed, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added.[3][4] The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.[5]

If you fry it, in oil or butter....not good, health wise anyway. Taste though....always hard to match taste to healthy imho. lol Anyway, sounds like scrapple is made from scrap parts, hence the word scrapple. Isn't that what a hot dog is made out of I'm guessing ? Adding ketchup with High fructose Corn Syrup and that zero trans fat number becomes meaningless.

Kinda like sausage I guess, nobody wants to know how it's made, just how it tastes. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • In the greater Cincinnati area, we commonly have a breakfast concoction called "goetta". It's a combination of ground beef and/or pork, pin oats, and spices. Yummy! 4w0fighcunjf.jpg
    gkrcx6w4tvio.jpg
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    offal is one of those words that seems like it ought to be spelled the way it's pronounced :)
  • Grits are very good too. I like to put a big glob of honey on top of my grits, let it melt a little, and stir it all up.
    And not that fake kuh-rap that you get at the supermarket. The real stuff. If it doesn't have a bee leg or two in it, well ....

It's a bit of a challenge making grits. Not the cooking part, the measuring part.
    I put in the amount for "Serving for 3" into the pot, take a look, decide that "There's no way that's going to be enough !" and add some more.
    ..... which turns out to be too much. Which I'm "forced" to eat.
    At some point I suppose I'll learn, but ..... no, I'll keep on doing the same thing. Good thing I like grits.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2017
    in his early days in stand-up (before he got hairy, bearded, and very trenchant if somewhat bitter), George Carlin did a bit on cooking grits.

It's somewhere on the album "Take-Offs and Put-Ons" which may be found on youtube -- but I cannot remember exactly where so I cannot provide a link to it at the moment.

https://youtu.be/_Or5ojlK4Pg?t=20m40s

"git dat high, rollin' boil, dat high, rollin' boil --"

3327585288_224efc0c0e_b.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    We eat Sesos, Sweetbread, lengua, tacos here in Texas
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Pan dulce (aka sweetbread) is a favorite of my wife; goes back to when she was a little girl. Her father is from El Paso and we've had pan dulce from Bowie bakery on more than one occasion. Many good places to et pan dulce in Chicago as well.

I have also had tacos de lenguas from the SW side of Chicago (one of the best places to get authentic Mexican food).

That said, as a Public Health major, I am cringing at what you all are doing to yourselves. Cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death in the US.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    halo wrote: »
    That said, as a Public Health major, I am cringing at what you all are doing to yourselves. Cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death in the US.

Indeed, it's the curse of western cultures....among many other health issues. The quality of our food goes down, our lifestyles get lazier, and we keep popping prescription drugs like candy to keep everything working just long enough to collect our Social security......then crap falls apart quick.

I was making an argument for cause and effect in another thread, same applies to this one. Eat what ya want, you just have to balance it out is all I'm sayin'. If your eating scrapple every day, scrapple is what your health will look like down the road. Moderation, balance....some exercise and you won't ever have to count calories or worry about eating some scrapple every now and then.

I'm a big fan of country fried steak myself, not exactly the most heart healthy thing to eat either. I only have it maybe once every 3 weeks though. Biscuits and gravy....oh boy. Now I'm jonesin' for a trip to Conyers Georgia, to a place called Mamies. They used to make all their stuff from scratch, don't know if they're still there or not.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    halo wrote: »
    Pan dulce (aka sweetbread) is a favorite of my wife; goes back to when she was a little girl. Her father is from El Paso and we've had pan dulce from Bowie bakery on more than one occasion. Many good places to et pan dulce in Chicago as well.

I have also had tacos de lenguas from the SW side of Chicago (one of the best places to get authentic Mexican food).

The sweet I was speaking of are the glands not the desert ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a