Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    acmf74 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Rogue Perseus?

This one also looks like it fits the bill.

As a matter of fact I have also.

I traded my Rogue for. Pass Labs X1 and never looked back. Between Rogue and Cary, I would lean with the one you are looking at, but IMHO, I would also consider the Pass...

I have some thoughts about the future pre but honestly I have nearly zero itch.

I just rolled 4 popes in and have been playing with the other 2 tubes... It's been a great experience.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    Is there a model of Mullard or RCA I should look at? These is new to me
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Is there a model of Mullard or RCA I should look at? These is new to me

How much do you want to spend? What other gear do you have?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• acmf74
    Options
    Jolida CDP w/Psvane tubes
    Cary SLP-03 Pre
    Mark Levinson no27 amp
    Polk Lsi 15s
    Full MIT loom

Price range I would like to gauge from the consensus here.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why don't you first listen to it before spending more on tubes?

My recs are I enjoy the rca nos that I have and I switch between a newer tung sol as well.

Currently popes dominate my 05, though I stuck a couple EH just to see how I like it.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • acmf74
    Options
    Why don't you first listen to it before spending more on tubes?

My recs are I enjoy the rca nos that I have and I switch between a newer tung sol as well.

Currently popes dominate my 05, though I stuck a couple EH just to see how I like it.

Absolutely. The tubes are brand new and need to burn in.

I'm just curious on which tubes are recommended. Just in case I find a great deal.
  • acmf74
    Options
    Is there a preference to NOS vs new tubes? ie Mullard/RCA 12au7?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Is there a preference to NOS vs new tubes? ie Mullard/RCA 12au7?

I quite enjoy anything RCA, I have all varieties, JRC 5814A, also in triple micas, my favorite is long black plates. I would say grab some 5814 commands, and enjoy them, they are cheap, quiet, and sound huge!

I have lots of European tubes from valvo, Mullard, amperex, brimar, and I always come back to US production tubes, they are just so good for the money.

2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• acmf74
    Options
    Is there a difference in the 12au7 & the 12au7a?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    The "A" suffix in 7 and 9 pin mini types indicates controlled heater warm up time. Controlled heater warm up time was introduced to permit long series heater strings of disparate types in TV sets. The TV set manufacturers did not want to pay for power trafo heater windings. The bottles lacking the "A" suffix are earlier production. The machinery used had less wear and tear on it, in that time frame.

Other than the heaters, there are ZERO electrical specification differences between specimens of a type with and without the "A" suffix.

I find the "A" to be a little quieter. I use them in my Cary.

How's this 03 working out for you?
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Just to whet your appetite.

I am getting ready to post some of the rarer holy grain 12AU7/ECC82 type tubes shortly. My collection has become too large for some tube types and I need to thin the herd.

Just an fyi to keep in the back of your mind if interested.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

I am getting ready to post some of the rarer holy grain 12AU7/ECC82 type tubes shortly. My collection has become too large for some tube types and I need to thin the herd.

H9

Im game....I have been trolling NOS tube store lately but can wait....
  • acmf74
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The "A" suffix in 7 and 9 pin mini types indicates controlled heater warm up time. Controlled heater warm up time was introduced to permit long series heater strings of disparate types in TV sets. The TV set manufacturers did not want to pay for power trafo heater windings. The bottles lacking the "A" suffix are earlier production. The machinery used had less wear and tear on it, in that time frame.

Other than the heaters, there are ZERO electrical specification differences between specimens of a type with and without the "A" suffix.

I find the "A" to be a little quieter. I use them in my Cary.

How's this 03 working out for you?

Thanks for the info!

The 03 opened up very nicely. I hearing new nuances in my music and sounds much more "natural'. I think I will keep it for sometime and enjoy some tube rolling."
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I have some thoughts about the future pre but honestly I have nearly zero itch.

Well, you went from zero to a hundred pretty quick!

Haha.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

@heiney9 I am very interested. Let me know please.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • acmf74
    Options
    Holy cow. The RCA blackplates opened up the pre sooooo niceley. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Holy cow. The RCA blackplates opened up the pre sooooo niceley. Thanks for the recommendation!

Which ones did you pick up? I find all rca to have a fantastic soundstage.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool gents, I have some RCA 5751's blackplates in my pre and they sound pretty frickin' good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • acmf74
    Options
    Not sure but these are RCA made for CONN.

ci59u39w60c5.png
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Long black plates with angled D getter. I have loads of these. My favorite right now. The earlier the better. I have some 1951 with angled square getter, they are super sweet. And thy do sound slightly different.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    Options
    RCA's are always solid performers. Earlier tubes in general are preferred from all manufacturers, they can have some qualities that are hard to duplicate even from the same manufacturer years later.

I really encourage getting your ears on as many old stock tubes as possible (as much as one can afford) because you ain't heard nothing yet!!! :D

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • footwedge
    Options
    @heiney9
    Did RCA tubes ever have a gray plate? And is there a sonic difference in the black vs gray plate? Asking because I have a lead on 4 6350 gray plates, per the sellers description. And if it's not to much trouble, does the Getter type matter?

TIA
  • acmf74
    Options
    I believe the gray plates are called "Clear Tops".

• heiney9
    Options
    They made gray plate tubes, long plate, short plate, top getter, side getter. The getter type doesn't directly impact the sound, but it can date most tubes in general and can be used as an identifier.

I am not that familiar with the sound signature of the 6350's so I can't say which is better black or gray plates. Generally for American tubes, the black plates are early tubes and gray plates later tubes. That's in general as some makes made black plates later than others.

You'll just have to roll some tubes to see which you like best in your rig.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I believe the gray plates are called "Clear Tops".

RCA made a side getter 12AU7 that has gray plates, but there are others, long plate and short plate that are also gray.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    yuq95yo8kw6r.jpg

Should all tubes have some type of plate. I received these and not sure it the plates came off. Thanks
  • heiney9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No, different tube designations can have different plate construction, even same designations can have different plate construction.

I don't understand the question:

I received these and not sure it the plates came off

What came off? Where?

H9
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    6yaxy2n48hxp.jpg

Found this in one empty box
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    ^^ I think those are for transportation pruposes to
    Protect pins.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• heiney9
    Options
    Not sure those came from the factory, but they are pin protectors. Keeps them from getting bent and to some degree keeps oxidation off the pins.

H9