Oppo PM-3

DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,471
Anybody get their ears on a pair? I've seen some comments that they are the best closed back cans for under $500 & others that say the Momentums are better overall. I currently have V1 Momentums & am looking for another set of closed back headphones to try out. Might just have to buy a pair as they have a 30 day return policy.

Comments

• DaveHo
    Finally got off the fence & bought a pair. Will write a short comparison to the Momentums in a week or two.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    keep us posted, I have SENN's Grado's HifiMan and the Senn HD 650 & 700 are my favorites. wish I could get my ears on these :) Enjoy!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DaveHo
    Will do. Wish I had more choices, but need closed back in my work setting.
  • DaveHo
    Have had the Oppos for a few days now. Let them burn in for about 24 hrs before doing any serious listening. They beat the Momentums across the board. Very balanced presentation. The Oppos dig just as deep, but overall are a little lighter in the bass, but that's not a negative as I felt the Momentums were a bit bloated. And they are much more comfortable to boot.

The rest of the rig consists of a Schitt Asgard2, SMSL M8 DAC, Cullen cable interconnects, and an AQ Forest USB cable. Everything is plugged into a Furman 215.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Thanks Dave. Nice setup.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • SamK
    SamK Posts: 13
    I haven't had a pair but I have heard that the PM-3 employs the same basic technology as the PM-1 and PM-2. I don't know how true this is.
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    @DaveHo, I've been looking into picking up a pair of the PM-3's.

How do you find they perform with no accessories (e.g. amp & DAC) through an iPhone, for example? I would want to use them often at the office and during travel, where I probably wouldn't be able to haul that gear around.

You mentioned that they're comfortable, but how do you find they fit specifically? I like tighter-fitting cans.
  • DaveHo
    I haven't tried them with my Android phone. But with a 26 ohm impedance they should be pretty easy for a portable device to drive.

They fit snug enough such that I don't feel like they are hanging on my ears, but not too tight that they're crushing my nogging. I was a bit concerned that the cushions not being real leather would make me sweat, but that hasn't been an issue.
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    I pulled the trigger last night on a pair of these. Will follow-up with a review in a week or so.