The Oppo 103 DAC v the Parasound P5 DAC

Options
I can't do reviews so I won't try, but I sort of know what I like. MY Oppo 103 DAC sounds clearer and more defined to me whereas the P5 DAC sounds a bit congested or muffled. The Polk 707's don't sound quite as laid back with the Oppo DAC. Could a different DAC be enough to get the 707's more to my liking or should I be looking someplace else in the chain? This is all academic since I can't afford boo boo squat since this emergency house purchase came up lol. Anyway I have seen lots of stuff about cables and IC's flavoring the output but not much about DACs.

Thaks
Resident ****

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    So use the oppo then if that's your preference, whats the problem ? Need a digital input ? Grab a 105.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Tony I guess I am asking if getting a separate DAC would make my speakers sound better. Are there more forward DACS out there that can improve the character of the 707's?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Sounds like a speaker problem, not a DAC problem.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Placement or room issue.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I agree with both of the above. Doing a comparison of the DACs just got me to thinking so I figured that I would ask.
  • tonyb
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Tony I guess I am asking if getting a separate DAC would make my speakers sound better. Are there more forward DACS out there that can improve the character of the 707's?

In what price range ? Doubt for under 500 bucks you'll find a dac better than whats in the Oppo. New anyway, used might be a consideration but still hard to do.

If you dig the Oppo sound, hunt up a used W4S dac. Probably find a used one for around 4-600 bones.

The P5 dac is a bit warmer and rounded than that Oppo sound. Not written in stone you have to use it though.

If you don't like a slightly laid back sound, the LSIM series is probably not your cup of tea then. Personally I'm not a fan of built in powered subs myself in speakers. Seems to be a slight disconnect with the rest of the speaker to my ears anyway.

Different cables can improve the sound, or make it worse, depending, but that's a more costly road to go down considering your situation. If you get a dac and your sound doesn't improve, could be your placement is horrendous, source material not up to snuff, or the speakers are just not for you.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Rounded is a good description. I generally listen to flac file from the pc so I can create play list so I have to use the P5. I can play the files from a portable hard drive with the Oppo but I can't create play list, I pretty much only use the Oppo for movies and sacd/hdcd's.

Derek I am just trying to learn something about DACS and if people choose them for changing the output sound. I don't have any money for anything right now because I have to make an emergency house purchase.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Getting a dac isn't about "changing" the sound, it's about getting more accuracy. When you talk about changing the sound you come across as if the dac is adding something to the sound.

It's for accuracy whether that's adding or subtracting, it's to get closer to the source.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    H9 in this case the sound is changed (colored) but I imagine that is because of everything else that is going on in the pieces as well as what Tony told me a long time ago "the implemetation of the DAC chip". Anyway I hope to be able to experiment with a good stand alone DAC one of these days.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree 1000% never said anything different. He was asking why try a stand alone dac, I answered with the most common reason. (more accuracy vs. the built in dac)

His posts are very hard to follow and gleen what it is he exactly trying to get across.

Everything matters in the chain...............

Synergy is the key and experimentation is the only way to find the individual synergy that floats your boat. What works for me may not work for you.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion on the Musical Fidelity V 90, it's only two bills?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Well Derek I do have a big goal, them Dancers I just get itchy sometimes while waiting for the stars and dollars to align lol. I had not played anything on the Oppo in a really long time so hearing that difference got me wanting to get something, anything lol.
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2016
    Options
    IMO, significant changes WILL NOT be an effective scenario with a different DAC---REGARDLESS of price. This can only be accomplished thru a speaker change. DAC's accel in subtleties--not tonal "makeovers." I'm telling you this because I have been to that rodeo; and I don't want you chasing your tail. You sound like you are communicating that you want a more dynamic/forward speaker character in your system--I feel ya, sometimes "laid back" gets a little boring and lame and lacks the slam and energy of a more dynamic speaker setup.

Test my theory. If you know anyone with Polk Monitor 7's or 10's (just as an example), borrow them for a week. I'll bet next months pay, your gonna be shocked at what you find.

As much as we drone on about neutrality, linearity, ad nauseum, we all have a listening PREFERENCE, and as long as we try to fight those preferences in the name of "truth", we're gonna be unhappy. Buy what spins your wheels--screw the lab coat and chose satisfying over someone elses idea of tonal neutrality.

Why do you think tubes are still so HUGE?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Edit - I will say this: many speakers are colored. Ushers are colored. Harbeths are colored. It's not a flaw per se, but the house sound is what draws us in.

The Elbas are not as colored. They take what they are given and show you major differences. With the change of any single component, they can sound like a completely different speaker.

I agree with you 100%. Speakers are, as a matter of existance, colored. Pick a color you like--it's YOUR money.

The BIG problem with super accurate speakers is that they sound phenominal with a premium recording----not so much with the other 80% of our collections.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    I don't agree with that Steve. We all have our experiences though. His comparison between the p5 and the 103 is exactly as I would expect, and it is a big difference for me between the two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that DAC's can't sound different from one another--I just don't find the differences to fit MY definition of "significant."
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Anyone have an opinion on the Musical Fidelity V 90, it's only two bills?

I use one and really like it. I have know desire to upgrade...it does what exactly what I need it to and sounds amazing.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    Options
    Well Derek I do have a big goal, them Dancers I just get itchy sometimes while waiting for the stars and dollars to align lol. I had not played anything on the Oppo in a really long time so hearing that difference got me wanting to get something, anything lol.

Skips suggestion of the essence dac is a good one, you may not need all the features though. I'll still stick to my original W4S suggestion for bang for your buck.
    I still say buy used, that way if it doesn't float your boat re-selling it won't drain the wallet.

The MF V90 ....won't cut the mustard for you if your after a more oppo type of sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited August 2016
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I don't agree with that Steve. We all have our experiences though. His comparison between the p5 and the 103 is exactly as I would expect, and it is a big difference for me between the two.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that DAC's can't sound different from one another--I just don't find the differences to fit MY definition of "significant."

My experience has been different. But then we probably define "significant" a little differently. There is a large variation between chipsets and analog outputs between dac's.

If we are making suggestions, I'll throw the Eastern Electric dac's into the mix. Nice that they can do tube or SS in the same unit.

The original Eastern Electric dac is a great bargain these days. If you can find one for sale they are in the $400-500 price range. Lots of bang for the buck in that unit.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    If you can get the v90 for $200 that's a good deal. If you don't like it you should be able get your money back...I'm betting you will love how it sounds though.
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Options
    Using the onboard DAC in my Oppo 103 I found the sound to be harsh and shrilly. I switched to using the digital out on the 103 to a Teac UD-301-BK DAC and into a Vincent Audio SA-31 tube preamp. Beautiful sound. Plus tone controls.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    the way i see it the speakers makeup the largest factor in determining the sound of your system (along with the room) so when you find the speaker or as skip says the house sound that you like, the other components enhance and/or fine tune that sound.

this is synergy baby and that is why this hobby is so much fun, the journey and that satisfying end result.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156