Sennheiser Replacement/Upgraded Cable

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,434
I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 598cs headphones lately, picked up over the holiday.
They're not bad so far. Not as fat on the bottom end as the Bose TP-1As I usually wear, but overall better balanced and relatively comfortable.

The 3.5mm version of the cable that came with them is really short, and I'd like to pick up something a little longer for use in the office. As an aside, I had a new in package 3.5mm extension cable from Monoprice sitting around, thinking this would get me by until I found a longer cable. No. I'm mentioning this only to say that there was an obvious degradation in quality when I added this in. Didn't listen for very long after a couple of tests when I thought I noticed the bass dropping off noticeably. Would probably fall short elsewhere, as well. One of my more obvious observations in cable quality. I was actually surprised at the difference, I'm afraid to say. A bit spoiled, I guess.

So, I'm looking for a cable as good as or better than the oe cable for the 598cs.
Anyone using these or have any recommendations? Saw what looks like a nice offering on Amazon, but not sure of the quality. Apparently same as the Chinese offered Ebay ones.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Alpha design labs use to make some but they seem to be history, their web site is empty.

here a link to Furutech headphone connectors and I think this the one for the 598's if so I bet Doug could get the connector since he is a Furutech dealer and maybe be able to make you a cable?

http://www.furutech.com/2016/05/26/13211/

also Music direct use to have a lot to pick from and now they don't have much!

also Blue Dragon makes one that cost more then the headphones B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    Options
    Thanks D, that gives me a few leads!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    You can buy one direct from Sennheiser at a reasonable price. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • msg
    Options
    Bruce, that's the one I was looking at on Amazon, too. Looks nice, but I was just reading a review on another cable that says these headphone use independent grounds on the headphone conductor side. This one combines them there. Apparently this can reduce the stereo separation a bit?

Thanks D, I was wondering about that. I'll have another look on the Senn site to see what they have.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I believe both Kimber and Cardas may have favorable options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a