Maple Butcher Block For Turntable

hochpt21
hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
edited February 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
The new audio stand is a bit lighter and I was getting some unwanted resonance from the TT.

Also, I was unable to utilize the extra shelves from the old stand for the "sorbothane sandwich-base" I had concocted because of the color.

Enter the 27 lb Michigan maple end-grain chopping block.

Sorbothane below and also on the TT feet. This seems to have taken care of it.

1jnd9qlc5sng.jpg
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Shame you can't see more of the sexy tube glow
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Good for when you slap on axe wheedling Ted Nugent LPs :D
  • hochpt21
    edited February 2017
    Shame you can't see more of the sexy tube glow

When the lights are low, I can see them glow. :)

Plus you're supposed to be looking at the sexy slab of wood.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    No comment on "sexy slab of wood"
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,924

hey, one will note that the phrase isn't censored by Vanilla ;)

Nice looking tt in the OP; I recognize the Grado cartridge, but I don't recognize the tt.

maple butcher block is a Pretty Good Thing for this application, I think.
  • hochpt21
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

hey, one will note that the phrase isn't censored by Vanilla ;)

Nice looking tt in the OP; I recognize the Grado cartridge, but I don't recognize the tt.

maple butcher block is a Pretty Good Thing for this application, I think.

Thank you sir.

It's a Pro-Ject 2.9 with a pearwood plinth. I think it's around 10-12 years old. I've had it for about 6.

I got it from a guy named Rob who is a friend of Rich aka @SCompRacer . Rob drove it to my house from Illinois...about 6 hours round trip, just to make sure I was happy with it. Really cool situation.

Speaking of Rich. Hope he's doing well. Haven't seen him in awhile.
  • mhardy6647
    Ahh, I remember those -- that explains the colo(u)r of the wood!
    Nice looking tt fo' sho'.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Rich posted not too awful long ago. He hasn't been as active as he once was...
    Agree hope all is well.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I listened to many a shiny vinyl discs on that TT. I'm a friend of Rob's also. He bought Rich's Nottingham as a replacement after Rich built is superb Lenco with air bearing arm.

Nice table

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I listened to many a shiny vinyl discs on that TT. I'm a friend of Rob's also. He bought Rich's Nottingham as a replacement after Rich built is superb Lenco with air bearing arm.

Nice table

H9

Those are Big League.
  • hochpt21
    heiney9 wrote: »

Nice table

H9

Rob was a really great guy. Brought his daughter and the turntable and we listened to albums on my old deck and then this one to do a comparison. He wanted to make sure it was in good hands before he let it go.

I touched base with him a little over a year ago to let him know that his old baby was still singing. I put a new belt, new motor and new cart on it, and it's still making me happy.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Looks nice!

Rob is good people.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Looks really good! Been thinking about doing the same. What's your source for the butcher block? They seem to run $100 & up for that size.
  • hochpt21
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Looks Great!!!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • hochpt21
    I also enjoy the benefits of the Big Block

m94nod8xiuc3.jpg

Have Sorbothane Pads between the block and top shelf.

Very nice!

I have the same brush and stylus cleaner, but you've got my TT beat. :)
  • Maple Shade has several options with the unfinished starting at $50 and up from there if you want the iso blocks. I think thats the direction I'm going to go for my TT.
    http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Ready-To-Be-Finished-Maple-Platforms/products/49/
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    I also enjoy the benefits of the Big Block

m94nod8xiuc3.jpg

Have Sorbothane Pads between the block and top shelf.

Very nice!

I have the same brush and stylus cleaner, but you've got my TT beat. :)

Ha, I wouldn't say that, we just both enjoy Vinyl on a different mechanism, but on the same platform :)

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Look at you guys, comparing wood.
    Nice setups.

Paul, I got sidetracked reading actual kitchen related reviews on the one you linked, hehe. Got this thing for nice tools and materials, enjoying a refined working process.

I'd like to try this for a tt and one for the kitchen. Wonder whether best to couple or decouple for meat tenderizing?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited February 2017
    Do you guys know how easy it would be to make something like these? Simple tools and some Elmer's wood glue and your set. In Jr. high we made a hot pan trivet still have it. No dowels no biscuits or cookies just clamps and glue and a little sandpaper.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    if I tried to make one of these myself...

gfup64hsp99u.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited May 2018
    hochpt21 wrote: »

Yep! I followed Paul's example and bought one too!

okay I somehow got the wrong thread for the most part :#
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD