Top Three Speakers you have owned.

Comments

• bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited June 2014
    For me I would have to divide it into two groups because the SRS speakers for me are a different breed all together.

1. SRS 1.2tl
    2. SRT
    3.SRS 2 p/b

1. Polk Lsi25
    2. ADS L810
    3. Sony SSK90ED
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited June 2014
    1C . Sold
    Srt. Sold
    Current. 707, 703, 706

Looking for srs 1.2tl in denver area
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    DollarDave wrote: »
    Currently owned top 3 -
    1. Vandersteen 2c
    2. ADS L-710 (followed closely by ADS L-730 and ADS L-620's that I currently own)
    3. Polk CRS+ 4.1TL

Former top 3's
    1. Sony M-3
    2. Polk LS-90
    3. Epicure Model 2

Updated list
    1. Hales Transcendence 5
    2. Polk SDA 3.1TL
    3. Vandersteen 2c

Still own my prior top 3, though.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    2 ch

Legacy Focus 20/20
    Infinity Kappa 9
    NHT 2.5

HT

Klipsch RF 7, RC 7, RS7
    Polk LS70, CS 350, LS F/X
    Mirage M3, omnisats
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    That I've owned?

1 and 2 are easy:
    Altec 604E Duplex (MasteringLabs crossovers)
    Quad ESL-"57"

3 is harder. Realistically (no pun intended!) probably the Allison Ones.
    But the Altec Santiagos (878A, in my case) are very decent -- as were the 846A Valencias (although I may be the only living Altec fanboy who preferred the Santiagos to the Valencias).

Not stuff many of y'all are familiar with.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I know those Allison Ones are sweet. My college roommate still has the pair he bought new. Uses them as surrounds with three Saulks across the front. Would like to listen to some Quads sometime.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I don't usually post on a thread like this because I can't afford what most people on here can so my "bests" wont compare favorably with others. But my best speakers have come from advice on this site, so

1. Monitor 10's
    2. Monitor 7's (I know most prefer the 7's but I actually liked the 10's slightly better)
    3. RT800i's

And it's been a long time since I owned, or even heard them, but I have fond memories of the AR2ax's that I owned in the 70's. I would love to hear a pair today.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I have not owned as much as most here but here it is

#1 Polk RTi8 current for over 10 years

#2 Advent Maestro (wife sold these trying to force me into in-ceiling as mains)

#3 Pioneer CS-06 ( great speakers I picked up in high school at a garage sale for cheap)
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I don't usually post on a thread like this because I can't afford what most people on here can so my "bests" wont compare favorably with others. But my best speakers have come from advice on this site, so

1. Monitor 10's
    2. Monitor 7's (I know most prefer the 7's but I actually liked the 10's slightly better)
    3. RT800i's

And it's been a long time since I owned, or even heard them, but I have fond memories of the AR2ax's that I owned in the 70's. I would love to hear a pair today.

You're not alone, so don't feel bad. :)

The AR2ax was/is pretty OK. Very nice LF, if overdampted -- also possessing, to some extent, that somewhat distant "center of house" sound characteristic of the Villchur-era AR loudspeakers :)

I have a really ugly pair here -- also a much nicer pair of AR-3s. Good loudspeakers, but not top echelon, at least for my ears. I do like the bass of the classic AR loudspeakers -- although I am just not up for the kind of amplification they require "for best results" :)

10186654954_56737a128a_b.jpg1966 ARs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    AR-LST's in the head shop/record store in my hometown were exquisite. I ended up purchasing them from the guy a few years later (my buddy got his S.A.E. amp/preamp and Nakamichi 700 cassette deck) but the LST's never sounded that good in my little place, needed room to breath. Another pair of AR vintage speakers caught my attention one time: I was walking to a bar in college and on the way was a new stereo shop, but I didn't know it was there yet. They were playing a live album, I think it may have been Deep Purple Made In Japan or something. They were playing it loud and as I recall they had these new AR-9's outside with top-shelf amplification. I literally stopped in my tracks and thought a live band was playing. I had to actually go and check it out to make sure. And I wasn't even drinking yet. Ok, maybe one. Lol.
  • I'd love to have some AR-1's but not at the going rate!
    These are fun:
    Polk Monitor 7
    Altec 849a
    Polk SDS 400
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    1. Dunlavy SC-IV Signature Series
    2. Polk SDA SRS (modded)
    3. Polk SDA 1C (modded)
    Still own and using all of them.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    This is easy.

1. My current reference
    2. Rockport Avior
    3. Sonus faber Stradivari
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    1. SDA SRS 1.2tl (modded)
    2. SDA 1c (modded)
    3. AR 3a
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    1- Polk 2.3tl modded
    2- Definitive Technology BP-30 modded
    3- Polk RTA 12C modded
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    1- LS90's
    2- Rta12B's
    3- Hello Kitty boom box
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    1 tie, Sony ES SS M7, NHT 3.3 current
    2 Parts Express Solstice current
    3 Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand. Gone
  • 1. LSiM703
    2. LSi15
    3. RTiA9
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited January 2017
    1- LS90's
    2- Rta12B's
    3- Hello Kitty boom box

I still remember sitting in Broadway Music in Salt Lake City UT in 1994, and listening to the LS 90 & LS 70 for hours, and trying to decide which ones to buy. To this day, I still don't know why I chose the 70s. Maybe because it left me enough $ to buy the CS 350. Over the years, I've wished a lot of center channels sounded more like the 350. I used that LS setup every day, for 20 years, in our family room. great stuff.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    daddyjt wrote: »
    1- LS90's
    2- Rta12B's
    3- Hello Kitty boom box

I still remember sitting in Broadway Music in Salt Lake City UT in 1994, and listening to the LS 90 & LS 70 for hours, and trying to decide which ones to buy. To this day, I still don't know why I chose the 70s. Maybe because it left me enough $ to buy the CS 350. Over the years, I've wished a lot of center channels sounded more like the 350. I used that LS setup every day, for 20 years, in our family room. great stuff.

Look at my HT sig list...
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I have only ever owned Polk. For dedicated 2 channel listening I have only ever tried my LSi15's so I guess they would be 1st. LSiM 703's would be second because that is what I am currently using in my HT setup. The LSi9's would be 3rd although I never got to drive them with anything better than an CA 751R. They did sound great though. Honorably mention would go to the LSi25's.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Best floorstanding speakers: (top down)
    Dynaudio Focus 260
    Von Schweikert VR2
    Energy RC-70

Best bookshelf speakers: (in no particular order)
    Dynaudio DM 2/6
    Dynaudio Excite X14
    Dynaudio Emit M20
    Energy RC-10

Not really in either category:
    InnerSound Eros MK II ESL hybrid
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Looking at a set of Carver ALS at the moment...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Infinity Quantum 3
    SDA SRS 1.2
    LSiM703
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    1 tie, Sony ES SS M7, NHT 3.3 current
    2 Parts Express Solstice current
    3 Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand. Gone

Yes the Sony ES SS M series are an awesome speaker. When I worked at Sony I was in the family store and they had these for (if I remember correct) $600 a pair and the 2 way's were like $400pr. I was going to get them but we lived in a town house and my neighbors were already complaining about the noise from my Advents.

A friend did get them with the Sony ES Amp and preamp. Oh my it was sweet. Poor dude lost it in the 2003 wild fire.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2017
    I don't think I ever posted here. So here it goes:

1) "Ultimate" Magnepan MMG; With wood frame and upgraded crossover. I was lucky enough to try a long list of speakers and if I was to come back seriously into the hobby this is what I would get (Or build again....)

2) Dynaudio Contour 1.3 Mk II: Only got rid of them because of number 1. But for a smallish room I could live very happy with these.

3) Hard to pick a 3rd one, but I'm going to go with an SDA. I had a few of them including the big boys, but if I had to pick one that would be the 3.1 TL. I found it to be the most musical of all I owned.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Owned:
    Legacy Focus
    Carver Amazing
    Vandersteen 3A

One day list if I had the $ and room: Legacy Aeris or Joseph Pearl 3
    Without having the room but still had the $ : Dynaudio C1 or Joseph Pulsar
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    My top 3 in the order of preference would be
    Polk 1.2tl's that will always be here
    Ads 1530's which I'm listening to right now
    Bozak concert grands which are gone now because they overpowered the too small room they were in
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Usher Mini Dancer 2
    Usher 6311
    Polk SDA 1C
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden