RTi A7 vs RTi A9?

Hi guys,

New here, need your help on something, any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated! Currently, I am running a 7.1.4 home theatre using a Yamaha RX-A3060 with a Speakercraft SC2-50 power amp powering the two rear Atmos-enabled ceiling-firing speakers. The rest of the speakers are just powered by the RX-A3060 itself including my RTi A7's. This week, I have the opportunity to upgrade the RTiA7's to RTiA9's for only $150 more in trade-in, so I have been very tempted. I've been told the RTiA9's require a lot of power, so I want to see the opinions if I should make this upgrade? Will it sound worse since I don't have a power amp hooking up the front speakers currently? If I were to add a power-amp, what should I be looking at, how many watts, which model and brand? My budget is $800 or under if possible for the power amp. Below is full list of my speakers that are currently used in the 7.1.4:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060
Power Amplifier: Speakercraft SC2-50 Two Channel, High Current Power Amp; 2 x 50W; 225W Bridged; Multivoltage
Front Speakers: Polk Audio RTIA7 300-Watt Tower Speaker
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW125 12" 300-Watt Powered Subwoofer
Centre Speaker: Polk Audio CSiA6 200-Watt Centre Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers: Polk Audio RTIA1 125-Watt Bookshelf Speakers
Surround Back Speakers: Polk Audio T300 100-Watt Bookshelf Speakers
Atmos Speakers: Onkyo SKH-410 Dolby Atmos Speakers
Atmos Speakers: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-on Speaker

Appreciate all comments, thanks in advance!
Television: LG 65E6P
Player: Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / Chromecast Ultra
Power Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325

Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 707
Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiM 706c
Surround Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
Surround Back Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
Dolby Atmos Front: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
Dolby Atmos Rear: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR
Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Welcome,

Honestly you don't have enough power from your receiver for the RTiA9's

Many discussions on the forum about the A9's and need for power
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Thanks for the reply! I have limited access to a lot of the suggested power amps as I am in Canada and lots of places only ship within the US.

However my local dealer does sell speakercraft, would this sufficiently power the RTiA9's: SC2-150 http://www.speakercraft.com/product/two-channel-high-current-power-amp-2-x-150w-550w-bridged-multivoltage-SC2-150

Please let me know, thanks!

• txcoastal1
    I'm not sure how big your room is, but IMHO the weak link in your HT setup are the subs.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Not a very big room to be honest, don't have dimensions, I'm very bad with my measurements, so can't even estimate. Are you suggesting instead of upgrading from the rtia7 to rtia9, I should instead get a better subwoofer(s)? Any suggestions what would pair well with my current set up? Thanks again for the help.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I would keep the A7's, and look into a new sub. The biggest benefit of upgrading the A7's to A9's would be more bass. For $800 I would look at SVS, PB 2000, or HSU VTF2 MK5.

Either that or look for a used 2 channel amp for the A7's. Either would be a better upgrade than the A9's without separate amplification.
  • Thanks for the suggestion! I will see if those subwoofers are available in Canada, how many watts should I be looking at to power the A7's? How much would the A9's need?

• txcoastal1
    edited January 2017
    What percentage are you using the system for home theater vs music?

If you are setting this up for primarily home theater, by the time you set the HT processors xover settings you pretty much cut off the bottom end of what your speakers produce and send the bass signal to the subs, really negating the need for the RtiA9's

Also if you are are having problems locating subs above, Polk Dsw 550 wouldn't be a shabby upgrade

• I would say roughly 75% blu-ray/uhd blu-ray movies (been getting most discs with dolby atmos tracks) and 25% music.

The Polk DSW PRO 550WI seems readily available in Canada at a very low cost too, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look into getting this.

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited January 2017
    Agree with the recommendation to upgrade the sub. Get the biggest, baddest you can afford. It will make a huge difference for your movies.

SVS would be my preference.....but not sure if available in Canada.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Thanks Ricardo, since everyone is in agreement that I need an upgrade on subwoofer, I will shop around and see what's available at local stores and online for Canada.

This leads me to another question (sorry I'm still very new to home audio), for my set up, I just ran YPAO on my yamaha avr when I first hooked up everything and kept it as is. Should I be setting my front speakers to small instead of large? Is there any settings I should be changing after running YPAO to make better use of the sub (current psw125 or future upgraded sub)?

• txcoastal1
    Try crossover at 80

60-100, not sure if you have increments of 5,10, or 20...spend the day jacking with it

• txcoastal1
    edited January 2017
    and yes with a sub go big or go home...or get a pair

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    ivanlee13 wrote: »

The Polk DSW PRO 550WI seems readily available in Canada at a very low cost too, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely look into getting this.

I love my two (2 different systems) 550s! Great subs, very reasonably priced and a nice upgrade from the psw125.

If it were me, I'd keep the A7s and get a nice 2-channel amp (minimum 200W at 8 ohms and high current output) - to remove their load from the avr - and put the 550 in place of the 125. I think you'd notice a nice difference and you could do it under your budget.
  • If I were to choose between Polk DSW PRO 550WI or the SVS PB-1000, which should be my choice? (they are roughly the same price on Amazon Canada).

Don't currently have the budget yet for SVS PB-2000, they are roughly double the cost compared to the above two options.

I am a complete newbie on all of this, how do I set the crossover or know what is correct? Do I do this on the AVR?

• txcoastal1
    Yes on the AVR, should go through an on screen menu
    set fronts to small and try 80hz first

http://media.datatail.com/docs/manual/339858_en.pdf

Start on page 53. My guess is you haven't done the DSP microphone settings?

You will go through steps and questions i.e.
    Subwoofer yes
    Speakers small or large...(small)

You'll run the test with microphone at your listening position where you head/ears are.
    Remember to get the room as quiet as possible including AC/Heat and any fans need to be off.

just go through step-by-step

If you haven't done any of this...then WOW you are going to be in for a big surprise optimizing your system.

Also, nice receiver

• txcoastal1
    Wait, there's more....Welcome to the rabbit hole

2zxgrp4xsgll.jpg

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited January 2017
    ivanlee13 wrote: »
    If I were to choose between Polk DSW PRO 550WI or the SVS PB-1000, which should be my choice? (they are roughly the same price on Amazon Canada).

Don't currently have the budget yet for SVS PB-2000, they are roughly double the cost compared to the above two options.

I am a complete newbie on all of this, how do I set the crossover or know what is correct? Do I do this on the AVR?

SVS every day and twice on Sunday. It will dig about 6-8 hz deeper and have greater output as well.

I would personally not set those 7s any lower than 60hz. That's a powerful receiver; I would run them full range, but definitely not higher than 60hz.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer