Lexicon CP-3

Options
AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited February 2007 in Electronics
For kicks, I decided to pick up a minty Lexicon CP-3 with original manuals, both remotes, etc. I've heard really good things about Lexicon as processors, and even though this is from 1993 with severely dated processing abilities (Pro Logic & early THX standards), this thing is awesome!

I haven't even hooked it up yet, but I can already think of about twenty reasons why I'm happy to dropped a bit of cash on it, including but not limited to:

- I can now claim I own a Lexicon pre/pro. Will be updating my sig shortly.
- It retailed for $3300, so something about it must be cool
- It is totally customizeable, including naming inputs, setting every kind of level possible, etc. Also, all processing fuctions can be turned completely off with the touch of either of the TWO remotes.
- I looks and feels like a $3300 retail piece of equipment. This one is particularly minty, and I feel will bring some class to my budget 2-channel setup.
- While my current and a recently bought preamp sound great and have many of the features I want (like Phono input), they are not remote capable. This thing is, and I can hook up the pre as an input for my phono listening. Everything will (hopefully) sound the same and be volume remote controllable now.
- It says LUCASFILM THX on the front, so someone will surely pay 2X more than it's worth just for that logo :)
- The manual is very well written

If anyone else has tried one of these babies out, let me know. I'm thinking it will be around until I decide to drop $400-$500 on a newer preamp that will have all the functionality I need. But, this seems like a very fun, and cheap way to get the results I'm looking for.

Pics whenever I have time.
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2007
    Options
    I've got two Lexicon CP-1's (no remote, but still avail from Lexicon for $50) that I can't give away.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Yeah, I knew it wasn't worth much, and I didn't pay much. . . so no harm done. I guess what I should've put was: this is a well-built, well-thought out worth-less piece of audio history :)

I guess I won't be flipping it for $500 anytime soon. . .

Also, my intent was to buy it and out of curiousity, plug it into the budget 2-channel rig, if nothing else but to remote control the whole thing.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Settle down, guys. . . by popular demand, here's my review of the Lexicon CP-3 as a preamp:

When run as a standalone preamp with no processing, FX, etc., the sound is listenable, but not what I would consider my cup of tea. Good low-end, but not enough slam, or high end for me.

But, when I hooked it up from CDP to B&K Preamp to Lexicon, to Amp, it sounded great. So, basically, I spent a very little amount of money to take up space on my rack and use more power to add remote functionality and a cool looking component to my collection.

Everyone go get one now. . .
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2007
    Options
    Lexicon is one of those"you love them or hate them' kind of brands.
    To me,Proceed kicks their butt up and down the alley.But your comments say alot for the B&K.Have fun.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2007
    Options
    You've been hitting the hardware pretty hard as of late. :eek:
    How did you last adventure with the bad NAD work out?
    I just added a Parasound psp-1000 pre to my system.
    It's much better than the old junker Rotel I had on it before.
    Just a note, the Parasound Zpre2 can be had under $300.
    I almost went that route, until this one came up.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Nice. Yeah, I'm in a constant state of trigger happy on ebay, here, CL, Audiogon. . .

Probably should come up with a new gameplan instead of just buying stuff on the cheap that I can play with and then resell once it starts to wear out it's welcome.

The NAD stuff was supposed to be the end buy for at least a while. . . but we know that didn't turn out as planned, so I started looking again. I think I'll have a decent setup (on the very cheap) here shortly.

Maybe I should just pony up some real dollars and get something really nice, then forget about this swap meet tactic, but then I'd have to start listening to the music instead of hording and selling gear, no fun in that :)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited February 2007
    Options
    I'm sick of it. The Parasound looks to solve the pre problem for now.
    I need to buy a "keeper" set of speakers. Martin Logans are looking like
    they fill the bill. I've been wittling down the hardware to a core bunch of
    good stuff. The rest will have to go!
    Good luck with your collection. Better hope you don't get married any time soon!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AndyGwis
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Yeah, go get those lil MLs at Best Buy. The one off Central and Park Lane, near northpark, had some in their Magnolia showroom.

I keep thinking I can play around with some used mid-fi, see what kind of sound I like best, then sell it all for even money or a marginal profit and work on a real system.

As long as I'm in a cramped apartment, no need spending good money on higher-end stuff. Best for me to experiment for a while, so I'll keep buying dirt cheap audio for a while.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited February 2007
    Options
    i cant speak for the CP-3, but i have a lexicon MC-1 that i really like. the only thing i dont like about it is the lack of a set of 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs but i am talking to a fellow on the lexicon forum about getting that changed. it was a step up from my last preamp. the only thing about pre amps and dvd players etc now is that things change so quickly now with new chips and new formats and connections that it hurts to spend thousands on something that may well be obselete in a year or two. it seems speakers and amps are the only items that are relatively safe from sudden change. i hope you enjoy yours. REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • niles300z
    Options
    Thing is, used these rarely come with remotes.
    I have a Harmony here that I can't get to run a cp2 or cp3. So, I'm gonna step out on a limb and say without the original remote lexicon preamps are useless. Not intuitive at all and or too proprietary.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    niles300z wrote: »
    Thing is, used these rarely come with remotes.
    I have a Harmony here that I can't get to run a cp2 or cp3. So, I'm gonna step out on a limb and say without the original remote lexicon preamps are useless. Not intuitive at all and or too proprietary.

The previous comment was over 10 years ago.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Ehh, good information never goes out of style :D
  • niles300z
    Options
    Thanks. I was disciplined in another forum for being late to the party, but for us collectors, we look for quality items sometimes without a website or a phone number remaining to call. Therefore we depend on forums for crucial information possibly discussed when the product was " current" and then 10-30 years later it may have been forgotten about or becomes rare. Therefore any information becomes rare. I am not finding the answers to my questions so I'm wondering, is it because a moderator deemed the info too late, not pertinent...so I am taking the stance like you kharp that any info is good info. Unless financial concerns or virtual space is limited and there is a general trend to minimize data and posts, that I can better understand.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have had and used several of the M series and CP''s but as a 2 ch preamp. They are very good for this purpose, cheep to buy and good sound. Good back ups. But I never paid more than 50/100.00 for them. Once you get to the 300/400 range (vintage) you can get better. But for an inexpensive pre in their price range (and in some cases more) they are hard to beat. Must have original remote though! They have surprised me (and several of my friends as well) with the quality of the sound and convenience they offer.great for starter systems garage ect. Would not consider them critical listening grade. Great bang for the buck! Very good build quality.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • niles300z
    Options
    Finally got a chance to hear the CP-3.
    Apparently it will work without the original remote. I hereby stand corrected. This is a complex unit even for experienced users.
    If all else fails, read the manual,but set aside a few hours. The sound is pretty good. Controlled, not overly anything, but stable and well made.
    Used as a two channel preamp only I give it a 3.8 out of 5. I can't comment on surround use but other than being outdated I would think it would be solid in that respect too and very configurable