DIY speaker kits & more

Options
CoolJazz
CoolJazz Posts: 569
edited November 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This feels kind of like a throwback to the days when a lot of companies offered speaker kits. Makes me sort of hope for this company will have some success with these.

A simple 2 way...
http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/studio-reference-audiophile-monitor-65-kit-components-plans-8-ohm-125-watts

A bit more advanced....
http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/mavin-6-pack-6-woofer-tall-tower-design-kit-bass-you-have-to-feel-to-believe-it-is-that-amazing

Note the prices is for a single channel and you have to do some woodworking. Building a box isn't to be taken lightly, but when your done, you can can have a lot of pride in doing yourself.

I've had no dealings with them myself, only know of them from a friend that picked up some LF drivers for a M&K sub and did fine with the deal. And this came to my attention today when he'd gotten an email with a Christmas deal...

"Starting Wednesday the 27th November at 5 PM EST, and running through Thursday January 2nd at 9 AM EST, you can save 20% off of your total product order. The trick is to use the coupon code Mavin20 when you checkout. It will discount your order by 20%. This does not apply to shipping cost or sales tax, sorry, they are what they are. "

Lots of stuff on the site. I hope somebody finds a bargain or something interesting.

CJ
A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
Post edited by CoolJazz on

Comments

• gmjungbluth
    gmjungbluth Posts: 232
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Very cool! Parts Express sells similar kits, and gives you the option of purchasing kits with or without finished cabinets. You could also mix and match with the Mavin kit and a Parts Express cabinet.

CoolJazz wrote: »
    This feels kind of like a throwback to the days when a lot of companies offered speaker kits. Makes me sort of hope for this company will have some success with these.

A simple 2 way...
    http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/studio-reference-audiophile-monitor-65-kit-components-plans-8-ohm-125-watts

A bit more advanced....
    http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/mavin-6-pack-6-woofer-tall-tower-design-kit-bass-you-have-to-feel-to-believe-it-is-that-amazing

Note the prices is for a single channel and you have to do some woodworking. Building a box isn't to be taken lightly, but when your done, you can can have a lot of pride in doing yourself.

I've had no dealings with them myself, only know of them from a friend that picked up some LF drivers for a M&K sub and did fine with the deal. And this came to my attention today when he'd gotten an email with a Christmas deal...

"Starting Wednesday the 27th November at 5 PM EST, and running through Thursday January 2nd at 9 AM EST, you can save 20% off of your total product order. The trick is to use the coupon code Mavin20 when you checkout. It will discount your order by 20%. This does not apply to shipping cost or sales tax, sorry, they are what they are. "

Lots of stuff on the site. I hope somebody finds a bargain or something interesting.

CJ
    HT System:
    Marantz NR-1403
    Front: Klipsch CF-4
    Rear: Paradigm Atom V3
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Fisher 500C
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Restored Polk Monitor 7B

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon VR-3750
    Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk LSI7
    NAD 7100
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited November 2013
    Options
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend the kits on the Marvin page, they appear to use generic crossovers and crossing a 6.5" woofer to a 1" dome tweeter at 3K is too high, the woofer is already beaming at that point. A well designed kit would denote cabinet dimensions and baffle placement for the drivers, so mixing a kit with a generic cabinet is usually a bad idea.

Most kits from Madisound are pretty good, but here is a better selection of kits: http://meniscusaudio.com/kits-c-133.html

For high efficiency designs: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yep the Meniscus kits look to be superb.
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Rick over at Selah Audio sells kits for his speaker designs. If you're handy, you can build the cabinets and stick all the parts in and you're good to go.

http://www.selahaudio.com/id268.html
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Face
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Rick Craig(Selah Audio) is another very accomplished designer. He specializes in anything from small two ways, to line arrays and ultra high end builds.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'll build something from these guys someday.
    http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Kitty/Kitty_Kat_Info.htm
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2013
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I'll build something from these guys someday.
    http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Kitty/Kitty_Kat_Info.htm

I like the "designed by ear" comment on the splash page (and I am not being facetious!) :-)
  • Face
    edited November 2013
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I like the "designed by ear" comment on the splash page (and I am not being facetious!) :-)
    To be technically correct, it should say "fine tuned by ear", which is something all speakers should go through.
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2013
    Options
  • Johnplemons
    Options
    This was a message directed to FACE, I make it open to all for review.

Just wondering where you are located. My name is John Plemons and I designed the 6 Pack you would not recommend. I know this is a bit late since you posted your opinion in 2013.
    Candidly, I don't believe you took time to research much about the system, and its design. The 6 woofers working together do an amazing job, and crossing over at 3400 Hz. works perfectly. By the way, there is nothing wrong with generic if it works well. My crossover's work well.
    I'm not asking you to believe me, if you ever anywhere near Athens TN. stop by and listen to them. Understand, I'm not a purest, and do not design for a machine, I design for the Human Ear. And what I design and build works. Plain and simple, if it doesn't sound good it isn't sold.
    It's easy to sit back, and pick something a part that you have never heard. My offer to you, swing by and hear a set for yourself. Bring your own music, what ever you want to test the 6 Pack with. The 6 Pack will stand up to anything you have heard, and do it very well.
    My view is that there is a place in the world, for people who want to DIY speakers. There is a certain sense of pride that comes from doing it. Even more so when your friends tell you how good the speakers sound. I sure you would agree,
    I love Audio, and love the sound of a good speaker system. I realize that sound is subjective, but high cost doesn't insure you are going to get a good sounding speaker. That is the beauty of speaker building, whether you are an Audio Engineer, or a Home Hobbyist almost anyone can build a good sounding speaker. In this connected world, you just use the tools available, As for me, I offer some DIY kits that I have designed to help those DIY'ers on their way. Exposing people to the world of audio is never be a bad thing.
    You have an open invitation, come by and judge in person, not from the seat behind a computer. You can reach me through http://www.mavin.com further, I'll make the invitation open to anyone passing by my area.
    One last thing, we are MAVIN, not Marvin, lots of people make that mistake. MAVIN.COM
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    One, @Face isn't really around here any more.

Two, three years is a long time to hold a grudge don't you think?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    As an extra bonus.....they sell Direct TV hoodies as well! Sweet!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    They sell a couple of Polk Audio tweeters too.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    One, @Face isn't really around here any more.

Two, three years is a long time to hold a grudge don't you think?

Just trust him, he designed it by ear............. o:)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    They sell a couple of Polk Audio tweeters too.

Mavin has stocked and sold TONS of Polk items over the years. I have kept an eye on them just in case someone here needed something that was no longer stocked by Polk.