Wiring

Ok guys it seem like I'm going about this the wrong way. I need help in how to properly wire my bluray, receiver and amp together.

I believe I have the video portion figures out. It goes Oppo to Receiver to Darbee to PJ.

Audio wise it goes Oppo to Receiver to Amp. But I'm currently using my hdmi for the audio. I was wondering how I can use my analog portion? What about the settings within the Oppo? Where should I put the MIT? I just wanted to make sure I had the best possible setup for what I currently have. Thanksm
Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    When the HDMI goes from the Oppo to the receiver, it's also carrying the audio to the receiver so you should not have any problems.

However, if you want to use the Oppos processing or dacs, you'd need to use the analog outputs of the oppo and connect to the analog inputs on the receiver. I believe the oppo has duel outputs HDMI.
    When using the analog outputs on the OPPO, you need an RCA interconnect for every channel. Unless of course you only want to output in 2 channel for music, then you'd only need 2 RCA's....3 if a subwoofer is in the mix.

For HT, most will use the HDMI as you have it set up, for music some will want to take advantage of the OPPO by using the analog outputs for a different music source like a cdp or music server. You set up how the audio is processed in either of the OPPO's outputs in the setup menu of the oppo. Make sure the corresponding inputs on the receiver are also setup to receive the same kind of audio your ouputing from the Oppo.

The other option, is to take one hdmi cable and go straight to the tv from the oppo, this bypasses the receiver's processing. Then take the analog outputs of the oppo and connect to the receiver for audio. Just remember, when using the analog outputs of the oppo, you need an RCA interconnect for every channel or that audio information will be lost. So if you have a 5.1 system, you'd need 6 cables for HT use. Can get expensive that way, and most will use it for 2 channel only instead of HT.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    When the HDMI goes from the Oppo to the receiver, it's also carrying the audio to the receiver so you should not have any problems.

However, if you want to use the Oppos processing or dacs, you'd need to use the analog outputs of the oppo and connect to the analog inputs on the receiver. I believe the oppo has duel outputs HDMI.
    When using the analog outputs on the OPPO, you need an RCA interconnect for every channel. Unless of course you only want to output in 2 channel for music, then you'd only need 2 RCA's....3 if a subwoofer is in the mix.

For HT, most will use the HDMI as you have it set up, for music some will want to take advantage of the OPPO by using the analog outputs for a different music source like a cdp or music server. You set up how the audio is processed in either of the OPPO's outputs in the setup menu of the oppo. Make sure the corresponding inputs on the receiver are also setup to receive the same kind of audio your ouputing from the Oppo.

The other option, is to take one hdmi cable and go straight to the tv from the oppo, this bypasses the receiver's processing. Then take the analog outputs of the oppo and connect to the receiver for audio. Just remember, when using the analog outputs of the oppo, you need an RCA interconnect for every channel or that audio information will be lost. So if you have a 5.1 system, you'd need 6 cables for HT use. Can get expensive that way, and most will use it for 2 channel only instead of HT.

Thanks a ton Tony. That was my question. I want to leave the audio for my HT for the HDMI to carry but I want to use analog for when I listen to stereo. I bought 2 mit interconnects from a fellow polkie and put it in between my Oppo and receiver.

As far as rca goes I understand I will have to double it cause it has to go from receiver to amp also. Is this correct?

So from what you help me understand. I'll have to use the MIT to go from Oppo to Receiver's CD in? Would it make sense to try and locate another MIT to place in between receiver and amp also?

Thanks again.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

• tonyb
    No.....don't you already have a pair of IC's going to the amp ? If so, you'll just need one pair from the Oppo to the receiver. You change inputs on the receiver to listen to HT or music.

Plug the Ic's from the Oppo into say.....the CD input on the receiver.

If you don't currently have an amp in the mix, then yes, you'd need 2 sets of RCA cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Yes I already have 5 rca going into the amp but wanted to see if it would make sense to run 1 single brand from Oppo to Receiver and put to my amp.

I tried using the MIT last night from Oppo to recover BD/DVD rca input and put the Yammy into pure direct mode and Oppo into pure audio. There is an audible diffence. Everything was mellow down, more neutral in a sense. Even the volume came down a bit in a good way of course.

• tonyb
    No bro....you already have the RCA's for your front left and right going to the amp, you don't need another set. Just one set to the receiver from the oppo, put it into the CD input on the receiver. Once you have everything set up, it's just a matter of switching inputs on the receivers remote to watch a movie or listen to 2 channel.

Set up the cd input on the receiver, tell it how to process the incoming audio signal. You want to set it to direct or pure so it just passes that signal on from the oppo without additional processing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Ok. Thanks Tony.

• Ok Tony. After about 2 hours of hooking and rehooking I finally figured it out with your help of course. Now I have FL/FR output from My Oppo to my receiver to my amp. Yamaha audio 1 has been changed to CD. Also I have bumped up Yamaha jitter llp to lev 3. My fault for being stupid.

I changed a bunch of stuff in my yamaha's setting and couldn't get no sound out for a while. Stupid me say there scratching my head for about an hour going through the menu. I didn't even know my receiver had that many option.

Another question for you Tony. Would there be any there to gain to use all analog for HT purpose? If not I'll just keep to hdmi for HT use and analog for audio. Thanks once again Tony.

• tonyb
    Using all analog connections for HT lets the Oppo do all the processing. Using HDMI for HT, the receiver is doing that processing. Better or worse....coin toss bro, I would think not if little, but are you willing to take that expense of additional cabling for what might not amount to much ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Guess I'll leave it to the hdmi and let my cxa5000 do the processing. Once again Thanks for all the help Tony.

• tonyb
    edited January 2017
    Good choice my man. If you happen to come across some additional RCA's for a bargain though, snatch them up and see for yourself which way is better. I've done that experiment myself and have always found very little difference, that's just me though. I encourage anyone to try for themselves whenever you can...with anything.

BTW...there is 5 rca's right now in the FM for 90 bucks if your interested.
    Post edited by tonyb on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks Tony. I was also looking at those too.