A Comparison Of Eleven Versions Of Dave Brubeck's "Time Out"

2»

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I'm now playing disc 2, tonearm is dead still. Also noticing that the background noise I mentioned only seems to be an issue on side 1, sides 2 and 3 (so far) are great.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    What a great album this is, thanks for motivating me to listen Ray!

I should also mention that it pairs very well with a Michter's bourbon, neat!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited March 2015
    nspindel wrote: »
    I suppose there can be a bad apple in every bunch, but I definitely have none of the issues as posted by that individual on Audiokarma.

Apparently there were three production runs of the 2012 AP reissue:

1. The first run in August 2012 with the lower quality gatefold jacket and some quality control issues with the pressing.

2. The second run sometime in early 2013 with a higher quality gatefold jacket and the record's quality control issues fixed.

3. A third run sometime in 2014.

My album jacket is identical to yours. I bought my copy in December of 2014.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nspindel
    That makes sense.

Slightly off topic, have you ever given this a listen? If not, HIGHLY recommended:

rd4u5gjnyjtu.jpg
  • DarqueKnight
    kevintomb wrote: »
    Is this not a case, more than anything, of simply a great clean dynamic recording?

Yes it is, but that same great, clean, dynamic recording has different sound quality attributes depending on the recording medium and the production team and production techniques.
    kevintomb wrote: »
    I mean every version I have heard, has sounded great in most ways!

True, and every amp and preamp I have heard since I began this hobby has sounded great in most ways! However, that didn't stop me from searching for better performance.

Audiophilia is about optimizing sound quality. It's a never-ending journey.
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    edited April 2015
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ^^^^^
    Now that was pretty cool!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tempo
    tempo Posts: 4
    This has to be some kind of mistake, there was no 4lp time out 1995.
    First 4lp edition of this album come out year 2000, so please explain this to me I would like to know where did you buy this one from 1995 ?

Thanks
  • tempo wrote: »
    This has to be some kind of mistake, there was no 4lp time out 1995.
    First 4lp edition of this album come out year 2000, so please explain this to me I would like to know where did you buy this one from 1995 ?

Thanks

Thank you for your note. I was going by the copyright notice at the bottom of the rear side of the jacket which states:

"Copyright 1995 Manufactured & distributed by Classic Records, Inc. under license from Sony Music Entertainment Inc. ..."

Looking at the discogs.com reference for this album, it shows two releases of the 4LP 45rpm version, the first in 2000, and the second in 2008:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet-Time-Out/master/34081

Discogs.com shows two 1995 Classic Records single LP versions, one in 180 gram vinyl and the other in 200 gram vinyl.

The 2000 Classic Records 4LP version obviously reused the 1995 single LP jacket without updating the copyright notice.

My Sony/BMG United Kingdom 180 gram single LP version has the copyright notice:

"This version copyright 2008 SONY BMG Music Entertainment."

My 2014 reissue of Analog Productions 2012 2LP release on 200 gram vinyl has the copyright notice:

"Copyright 2012 Sony Music Entertainment/Originally released 1959."

• tempo
    Ok, now I understand, no, it's not easy to follow all the dates :)

Any way, in your opinion the best sounding copy is from 2000 (4lp), correct ?

Thank you
  • voltz
    My 2014 reissue of Analog Productions 2012 2LP release on 200 gram vinyl has the copyright notice:

^^^^
    This is the one I have and I really like it. pluss I picked up the digital Download in DSD for it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• tempo
    edited December 2016
    voltz wrote: »

^^^^
    This is the one I have and I really like it. pluss I picked up the digital Download in DSD for it.

Thank you
  • The best sounding copy of the three LP versions I own is the 2000 4LP set.

Discogs.org states that the 2000 4LP set is 200 gram vinyl, but this is an error. The 2000 4LP set was 180 gram vinyl and the 2008 reissue was on 200 gram vinyl. My individual discs from the 2000 4LP set weigh 185.1, 188, 189, and 186.6 grams respectively.

I would expect the 2008 4LP reissue on 200 gram clarity vinyl to sound better, but I have not run across a review comparing the two 4LP versions.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yo Ray! I thought you were bidding good riddance to your wax stax.? I'll take the 2008 4LP off your hands. Just so it doesn't clutter up your living room.
  • tempo
    edited December 2016
    The best sounding copy of the three LP versions I own is the 2000 4LP set.

Discogs.org states that the 2000 4LP set is 200 gram vinyl, but this is an error. The 2000 4LP set was 180 gram vinyl and the 2008 reissue was on 200 gram vinyl. My individual discs from the 2000 4LP set weigh 185.1, 188, 189, and 186.6 grams respectively.

I would expect the 2008 4LP reissue on 200 gram clarity vinyl to sound better, but I have not run across a review comparing the two 4LP versions.

thank you

Strange thing, I'v been offered 2008 4LP reissue and I was thinking it was to expensive.
    But still I don't know how they can manage to make better sound only making LP heavier (180 to 200g). Maybe !?

Any way thank you, nice review.

ps: How much better is your copy compared to AP copy ?
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    voltz wrote: »

^^^^

That's the one I have and it's pretty pretty pretty good. I also enjoy the AP SACD (2012, I guess) occasionally.

I'm a bit confused over the digitals though. The Roon/Tidal version sounds better to me than the 24/176 Columbia download. I'm not sure what the Tidal one is exactly. It says released 21 May 2009 but has every potential label in the credits with Columbia/Legacy at the top. There's also a second disc of live tracks. Dunno, but it sure doesn't suck.

Looks like for all the copies I own, my order is pretty consistent with DK's. May have to start looking around for one of the 4LP's.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tempo wrote: »
    Strange thing, I'v been offered 2008 4LP reissue and I was thinking it was to expensive.

But still I don't know how they can manage to make better sound only making LP heavier (180 to 200g). Maybe !?

The 2008 4LP reissue uses a higher grade of vinyl, Clarity Super Vinyl-Profile II (SV-P II) that does not have the black coloring agent, and that has a smoother surface with lower surface noise. There is also a difference in the way the two variants were pressed.

Here is a review comparing the Quiex 200 gram and Clarity 200 gram pressings of Classic Records' "Blue Train" album by John Coltrane:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue40/clarity_records.htm
    tempo wrote: »
    ps: How much better is your copy compared to AP copy ?

My rough, subjective quantification is that the CR 4LP version is 20% better in terms of image weight, depth, ambient information, and bass clarity and articulation, and 10% better in terms of overall clarity and detail.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Yo Ray! I thought you were bidding good riddance to your wax stax.? I'll take the 2008 4LP off your hands. Just so it doesn't clutter up your living room.

That's a very kind and generous offer. I'll hold on to my records...and turntable...and associated gear for sentimental reasons...for now.
  • You mentioned it says "Copyright 2012 Sony Music Entertainment/Originally released 1959." on your 2014 release, will it be different for the earlier versions? I just ordered the album and I want to make sure I get the most recent version before opening it.
  • DarqueKnight
    marcos8 wrote: »
    You mentioned it says "Copyright 2012 Sony Music Entertainment/Originally released 1959." on your 2014 release, will it be different for the earlier versions? I just ordered the album and I want to make sure I get the most recent version before opening it.

The earlier Analog Productions release will have the 2012 copyright notice. The difference between the 2012 original issue and the 2014 reissue is the 2014 reissue has a nice double (gatefold) jacket made of heavier glossy finished cardboard with black and white pictures from the recording session on the inner sides. The 2012 issue had both records in a single matte finished jacket.

upqrsnlung53.jpg

3phda132ummb.jpg

wu0ibqpzx1rj.jpg

• voltz
    The one I have says Copyright 2012 and it is a thick double gate-fold jacket as you just described above.

• Thank you very much for clarification!