Garage Door

Options
My listening room is an insulated, heated and cooled garage. At first the garage door was not insulated until I inserted three layers of 1/2" aluminum backed rigid foam board and taped them in place with metal tape. The aluminum is visible because the last foam layer has the aluminum facing towards the inside of the garage.

I have been remodeling the room this year and wanted to improve looks of the door and maybe tone down its reflectivity all without spending a ton of money. It needed to be something that would not have a problem if it got a little wet from time to time. I decided to order 1/4" thick adhesive backed polyurethane open cell foam sheeting from McMaster to do the job. I plan to paint exposed horizontal white surfaces with satin black and vertically trim between panels with a thin black board covering the hinge screws.

I mocked up a section the other night and I think it will do the job.

cb8sy3ancpna.jpg
i7j1my85nqmu.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    If by reflectivity you mean sound, I think adding the open cell foam will help. The black will certainly tone down the silver too...

BTW, couldn't help noticing the gear behind the tool chest. What do you usually go after? B)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    My listening room is an insulated, heated and cooled garage. At first the garage door was not insulated until I inserted three layers of 1/2" aluminum backed rigid foam board and taped them in place with metal tape. The aluminum is visible because the last foam layer has the aluminum facing towards the inside of the garage.

I have been remodeling the room this year and wanted to improve looks of the door and maybe tone down its reflectivity all without spending a ton of money. It needed to be something that would not have a problem if it got a little wet from time to time. I decided to order 1/4" thick adhesive backed polyurethane open cell foam sheeting from McMaster to do the job. I plan to paint exposed horizontal white surfaces with satin black and vertically trim between panels with a thin black board covering the hinge screws.

cb8sy3ancpna.jpg
    i7j1my85nqmu.jpg

This has nothing to do with audio for me but I like your idea of how to insulate. I'll have to look into this. thanks
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Anymore, I usually fish at the local grocery store. :D
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

cb8sy3ancpna.jpg

This has nothing to do with audio for me but I like your idea of how to insulate. I'll have to look into this. thanks

Makes two of us. I may try to see what this would cost to do, and might even do it this weekend :smile:.

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • machone
    Options
    Home Depot has everything you need.
    Just don't try to handle the foam boards in the wind. :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't suggest doing what we did (but I will at least mention it) -- we have a room above the garage, and we live in the Frozen White North (NH), so the garage has to be heated (not really warm, just not frigid) -- so we had insulated garage doors put in when the house was built.

I know they're "Overhead Door" garage doors -- but I don't remember the exact model. I can get that info if it is of interest.

They actually seem to work pretty darned well -- we keep the garage at 54 degrees in the winter and it holds temperature really well even after driving a car out. When we park the cars, the temperature drifts up a few degrees as the car warms up the garage
    :)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    ^Yeah I know they make them, I just have this feeling those will be more pricey that just throwing some rigid insulation onto an existing door.

I already mentioned I'd like to buy a new garage door that is insulated to my wife...... and then was thrown 10 feet back by the wind from her eyes rolling back with significant force...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

cb8sy3ancpna.jpg
    i7j1my85nqmu.jpg

Usually insulated garage doors come with stiffer springs to account for the extra weight. When you put extra weight on an "un-insulated" door you will need to adjust the spring tension or it can wreck your door opener gears and in some cases prematurely wear out the springs.
    I found out the hard way.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^Yeah I know they make them, I just have this feeling those will be more pricey that just throwing some rigid insulation onto an existing door.

I already mentioned I'd like to buy a new garage door that is insulated to my wife...... and then was thrown 10 feet back by the wind from her eyes rolling back with significant force...

Gotcha :)
  • machone
    Options
    I did not think about adjusting springs. The foam I used added about 14 pounds to the steel door. I have not had any problem and it has been years since I did the mod.
    That being said it will probably blow up tonight.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    Options
    No -- but it's exciting when a spring breaks.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

torsion not so much ...But those older ones if not done correctly could take off and put holes in walls and doors that was fun stuff. I had one do it one day while I was in the garage scared the poo right out of me took me a minute I thought someone unloaded a shotgun through the garage. GLAD i was not in the path.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

torsion not so much ...But those older ones if not done correctly could take off and put holes in walls and doors that was fun stuff. I had one do it one day while I was in the garage scared the poo right out of me took me a minute I thought someone unloaded a shotgun through the garage. GLAD i was not in the path.

Yes, we had coil springs on the doors at the MA house -- used to have one break every couple of years. Usually just after we went inside -- we'd hear it let go, dash out into the garage and see half of one bouncing around wildly.

Never did any damage, fortunately.

When we had new doors put on at the old house, they went to torsion springs -- this house has the side-mounted coil springs though.
  • machone
    Options
    If it has worked this long I am not touching it. B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If it has worked this long I am not touching it. B)

That's code for an upcoming fire. Not sure how a garage door will catch fire, but it will...

That, right there, that is signature material, that is.

https://youtu.be/aNaXdLWt17A
  • machone
    Options
    I finished the garage door.
    Painted the trim with brush on satin black Rustoleum and attached the foam. :)

7559uzkqjh2l.jpg

r3shu20clke0.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Looks excellent.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    I'm offering to come help, but really, I just wanna play with the racetrack.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    Looks reasonable enough, being that this is Polk forums and not diyforums, where's the audio gear?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Rich502 wrote: »
    Looks reasonable enough, being that this is Polk forums and not diyforums, where's the audio gear?

We have other interests, like playing with toy cars...
  • pitdogg2
    Options

And dolls...wait what I mean action figures yea action figures that's what I mean...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

And dolls...wait what I mean action figures yea action figures that's what I mean...

GI Joe with the kung fu grip?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Well yea...beats the snot out of stretch Armstrong
  • machone
    Options
    Played some music last night.
    It's better.
    Even though this is not even close to acoustic foam it has helped the echo chamber.
    I consider the basic room finished and look foward to room treatments next year. :)

Remember for new years eve, don't drink and drive. B)

4tg0vczgy681.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    I always wanted that Tyco Daredevil Cliffhangers...
    https://youtu.be/dmrHDDjZ8D8

Our first set was was the Smokey and Bandit one similar to this. I don't think it had the jump, but just a bridge, and it was black and one of the tracks had a little curved bit where you could run the other guy off the road. Of course I was always the Bandit and my little brother was always Smokey. He might not have become a serial killer had I let him be the Bandit sometimes. Though, I suppose it could have been the supergluing his eyes shut while he was sleeping.

ksd5a3gr65pj.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Played some music last night.
    It's better.
    Even though this is not even close to acoustic foam it has helped the echo chamber.
    I consider the basic room finished and look foward to room treatments next year. :)

Remember for new years eve, don't drink and drive. B)

4tg0vczgy681.jpg

ooh, Ferrari GTO by the looks of it :(

That's a nice track, in all seriounsess!
  • machone
    Options
    Thanks, It's a Daytona Cobra.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4