Amazon has Sennheiser HD 998 C headphones on sale today.

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
edited December 2016 in Headphones
$99.95 . These are a new model that is closed back. Easier to push with smartphone- portable media. Better bass than open back. I have never tried them. Good reviews. Merry Christmas. Dref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=tbemail2-20&ascsubtag=a98c0ffe-e24c-4c0b-b5f6-db6a13906064
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    you mean the 598 Cs?
    (photo didn't come through)
    https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Cs-Headphone/dp/B01JP436TS
    I disabled signatures.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    That's a killer deal.

Just ordered a pair for my sons for Xmas.

Thanks for the tip!

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Thinking of picking these up and passing on my Polk Buckles (that I rarely use). Any thoughts on it being a worthy upgrade? I've got a couple older Sennheisers. One's a really old open back (500 series I think) and the other's a cheaper closed back can.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Al I still have a pair of the 598's, they are normally what I use with my PC now since i upgraded to the HD650- then 700's..but they are good head-phones and to me sound better then my Grado RTi2's and better then the Buckle. I know Skips likes his alot.

plus I paid like $200 on sale for mine years ago.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • scubalab
    Darryl, are your 598's open or closed back? I have the HD 545 Reference (open back) that I bought about 20 years ago. They are great cans. The Buckles are a little bass-heavy for me. I have the Polk Ultrafocus 8000 NC cans that I use on flights and when mowing the lawn. I like them a lot. I think I may just splurge for the 598C's. Just got a $100 Amazon GC burning a hole in my pocket. Coincidence? I'm thinking no. B)

Here's my 545s. They're getting quite worn. The padding on top has completely degraded and the ear pads are getting thin.
    4k70doatewon.jpg
    xd46ci57162z.jpg
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Hey stop putting this stuff up! Merry Christmas to me lol!
  • voltz
    they are considered open back and I have the Ivory ones
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=twister_B016MAOS5E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    ldknedulbi3t.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• scubalab
    I like the ivory! The ones on sale are closed back. I'm thinking the closed back will have quite a different sound. I'll give them a try. Worst thing is I don't like them... Amazon has a very good return policy.
  • afterburnt
    I got the open backs that Dabutcher put up some months ago and love em, but now I want to really tune out and the last set of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x didn't quite cut it
  • Dabutcher
    edited December 2016
    zwmjhzhodpd7.png
    These are the model I have. HD558. On sale today @ BB. Same drivers as HD598. These are open back. A little light w the bass. Very detailed. I use them w Fiio portable amp and iPod or iPhone Amazon music. Merry Christmas. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Dabutcher
    One hour left. Jes sayin. Di759nklr9htp.png
  • afterburnt
    Wait did I over pay?
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    No you paid for the closed sealed version that are the new version, the bb ones for cheaper are open back.
  • scubalab
    @afterburnt - did you get the Amazon deal (598Cs) for $99.95 or the BB deal (558) for $74.98? I picked up the Amazon deal for $99.95. I wanted closed back since my old Sennheisers are open. I wanted something that I could listen to without disturbing anyone around me. I think both are decent prices... just depends on what you're looking for.
  • afterburnt
    I got the 598Cs from amazon, was confused because there's another thread for the open backs
  • voltz
    my 598's are closed back, my mistake!

• scubalab
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, I was on the fence (open vs. closed). The OLD 545's I have are open and sound great and are very comfortable, but losing a lot of cushion due to age. The Polk buckles... closed and sound OK. The newer Sennheisers (can't remember model, but it's a lower model) I have are closed, and sound decent for the price I paid, but not the most comfortable. The Polk UF-8000 are closed/noise-cancelling. They're fairly comfortable, but are heavy, and require batteries. I probably should have gotten open back, but I wanted something to replace the Buckles to listen to music or TV in bed without disturbing the wife...

Curious to how these sound compared to the 545's. From what others have said, I should give them around 20-30 hours to break in, right? Looking forward to trying them.
  • msg
    I'm gonna give these a shot. They don't get "audiophile" raves, but I'm just a casual headphone listener, like my stuff a little fatter, and sometimes just have them on at the office without any music going, just to block out ambient sound, so I prefer a closed back in this type of environment.

In comparison to open Senns in similar range, the 598Cs is supposed to be a bit fat, which I imagine would be expected with it being closed, but apparently not too exaggerated, and still good mids presentation. We'll see.

thanks for posting up the deal @Dabutcher!
    I disabled signatures.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    vq8qvlcwgl0p.jpg

I've been rocking the (598Cs) for about a week now. These are only my second pair of cans. The other is the Sennheiser eH 150 which were like $60 at Walmart 5 years ago. I like the eH 150's a lot actually. The sound is a bit forward and right up front.

Initially, I didn't like the sound of the 598Cs, but now with some time on them they are growing on me.

Very spacious detailed and rich. The sound seems a little recessed at times, but that may be because they aren't fully broken in.

I'd like to hear them with a headphone amp to see if that would bring the sound forward a bit.

All that being said, I'm liking the 598Cs more every day. Probably breaking in as I go along also...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Dabutcher
    The HD558 's come with a big long cord only. So if you take them out and about like I do portable. Sennheiser will sell you a short one for like $18.00 shipped. They use a twist lock so it is proprietary . Merry Christmas D
  • Dabutcher
    The HD558 's come with a big long cord only. So if you take them out and about like I do portable. Sennheiser will sell you a short one for like $18.00 shipped. They use a twist lock so it is proprietary . Merry Christmas D
  • hochpt21
    The 598Cs come with a short cord that connects to phones basically a comfortable length from head to pocket.

But they also come with a longer cord with a larger end for amps I'm assuming.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited December 2016
    My boys unwrapped their 598Cs and are digging them.

We did an A/B comparison of the sound thru an iPhone6 and the headphone jack off my Marantz Pearl SACD player. Both playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (itunes download vs the SACD).

The iphone sounded really good, but the Marantz combo was *amazing*.

I really like those headphones - now regretting not getting a set for myself.
    Post edited by Erik Tracy on

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • hochpt21
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    My boys unwrapped their 598Cs and are digging them.

We did an A/B comparison of the sound thru an iPhone6 and the headphone jack off my Marantz Pearl SACD player. Both playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon (itunes download vs the SACD).

The iphone sounded really good, but the Marantz combo was *amazing*.

I really like those headphones - now regretting not getting a set for myself.

Awesome, look forward to trying them with an amp.
  • msg
    edited December 2016
    I grabbed a set of these, too. They arrived yesterday and I've been checking them out. Not bad for $100. Very light, relatively low profile cups that fit nicely over the ears. Fairly comfortable, but I've not yet had an all-dayer with them in front of a computer wearing glasses.

Not quite sure on the fit yet. The headband seems to wants to angle back a bit for the cups to be seated properly, but then they feel like they're slipping a little. Also feels like the bottom portion of the cups aren't seating closely. Still getting used to them.

A good friend's been letting me demo some Senn HD 650's. Those definitely feel a little nicer, a bit more comfortable. Different sound. At this point, I'm definitely a closed back headphones type. It's been nice to have the opportunity to test a couple different pair out for comparison.

Sound quality is pretty nice, even just out of the box. Nice mids presence. Clean. Smooth, comfortable highs. Bottom end seems natural, and isn't bloated like I'm used to with the Bose TP-A1's I've been using for the past 10 years or so, which I don't particularly mind, so I'd consider the 598 Cs a little light on the bottom at this point in my use, though again, natural sounding.

I like that Sennheiser includes both a longer cable for use with a preamp/receiver as well as a shorter cable for use with mobile devices. The twist-lock thing... not sure, does this make the cable situation proprietary? I'd have to have a closer look. Kinda wanted to mess with making a cable to play with.

I want to try that Raspberry Pi based tube headphone amp.

Thanks for the heads up @Dabutcher; pleased with this purchase.
    I disabled signatures.