Sonore MicroRendu ... Wuhoo!

2»

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I am very interested in that Uptone Audio power supply. JR's business partner wanted me to by the Signature Sonore power supply for $1,395. He claims the difference is "night and day" compared to my iFi wall wart.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2016
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I am very interested in that Uptone Audio power supply. JR's business partner wanted me to by the Signature Sonore power supply for $1,395. He claims the difference is "night and day" compared to my iFi wall wart.

Like this one? The lower is the Deux PS for my Signature Series Sonore Server. Some nice parts under the cage, but $1,395 is pricey! I got a great deal on the combo. I added an Intel msata 80GB SSD card for the boot drive (Vortexbox 2.4) and a 6TB WD Red hard drive for the flac/aiff/DSD. Once it gets completely filled, I can always point it at an external hard drive array.

sonore%20signature.jpg

The server PS on right, the one on left is for the SOtM tX-USBexp card in the server.

sonore_sig_2.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2016
    That's the one! I think the Uptone Audio may be a good choice. I want to wait for some reviews.
    Carl

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I wouldn't hesitate to get the Uptone LPS-1 for your uRendu. Very noticeable improvement over the ifi power supply at, IMO, a reasonable price.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • SCompRacer
    "In brief, the UltraCap LPS-1 uses two banks of ultracapacitors—one powers while the other charges—to generate the unit's 1-amp output with user selectable output voltage of 3.3V, 5V, or 7 volts."

Nice PS at $395.

102016ultra5.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2016
    Richee! The pics look awesome! That for the technical review!

So I purchased the Uptone Ultra Cap LPS-1 power supply today for my MicroRendu. The order acknowledgement that I received noted that all 250 units scheduled for November production have been sold out!

My digital computer audio source will now be a MicroRendu with the Uptone Audio UltraCap power suply connected to my Scompracer designed and built DAC.

rsmtemrag0qn.jpg

My PS will be built in December, shipped to me on or about Dec. 9. I should have it for Christmas.

Craig, what voltage should I be using from the Uptone? My iFi PS that came with the MicroRendu is 9 volt.

4rm7d28bjjbq.jpg
    cjv8s6tadcm2.jpg

I am very interested to hear the difference.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited November 2016
    Nice DAC! :) Love that simple clean look and love the SQ. Those Arduino shields by C-E Designs are no longer available. The software for the newer shield (with OLED display) isn't finished and is kind of buggy. Web site is down so gerber files for shield boards are gone. Could only build a manual control DAC now...

Ain't this what it looks like now? Can't remember, you running in synch? That is Sonore USB card supplying clock? Or did we leave it asynch with BIII as master clock?

Sonore-USB-1000a.png

BIII_single_sonore.jpg
  • vcwatkins
    Craig, what voltage should I be using from the Uptone? My iFi PS that came with the MicroRendu is 9 volt.

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • schwarcw
    Hey Rich! That's not quite what it looks like. I have it running in synch. So I switched that board on the top of the CPU stack and "parked" it as you instructed. The Sonore USB card is doing the clocking.

I don't know if I have the final picture?

It is one fine sounding DAC!! A very well crafted piece of electronic bliss!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    I was lax in taking pics due to all the issues trying to get the Twisted Pear/Amanero/Cronus thing working properly. The Sonore USB was drop in, plug and play, then shipped back to you.

I stuck my Sonore card in there and almost didn't get another! Took three to get a winner. Jesus said he wasn't going to have them made anymore.
  • schwarcw
    Remember this? LOL!

zrpao74g6zcr.jpg
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited November 2016
    Remember this? LOL!

zrpao74g6zcr.jpg

Now that you mention it!

Brings back memories of how all that started.

ard_proto_1.jpg
  • schwarcw
    "Blue Hats" and a blue faceplate! The birth of my DAC!

The Uptone Audio PS should be here in about a month. The microRendu is dead quiet with just the wallwort PS.
    Carl

• vcwatkins
    Sonore has been working on bridging Roon to DNLA/UPNP devices that aren't directly supported by Roon. Here is the Roon Labs thread link, blurb, and device compatibility list:

SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

"Roonify" your DLNA/UPNP devices. The SonoreUPnP Bridge allows you to use Roon or Roon / Tidal to stream to DLNA/UPNP devices. You can also use Logitech Media Server to stream to DLNA/UPNP devices.

COMPATIBILITY
    Device (status, stream format) *special notes
    - Sonore Rendu (confirmed, WAV)
    - Sonore Signature Series Rendu (confirmed, WAV)
    - Empirical Audio Interchange (confirmed, WAV)
    - MSB DACs with the DLNA/UPNP network input module (confirmed, WAV)
    - Bel Canto DLNA/UPNP capable devices (confirmed, WAV)
    - DartZiel DLNA/UPNP capable devices (confirmed, WAV)
    - XBOX One (confirmed, WAV)
    - Linn Klimax DS/2 (confirmed, WAV) *reported up to 48kHz
    - Simaudio Moon (confirmed, WAV)
    - Weiss legacy DLNA/UPNP capable devices (confirmed, WAV)
    - PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MKI with Bridge 1 (plausible)
    - PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MKll with Bridge 1 (plausible)
    - Naim DLNA/UPNP capable devices (plausible)
    - Linn DLNA/UPNP capable devices (plausible)
    - Lumin DLNA/UPNP capable devices (plausible)
    - Cambridge Audio DLNA/UPNP capable devices (plausible)
    - Auralic Aries Mini (plausible)
    - Weiss 501/502 (plausible)
    - DLNA/UPNP capable receivers and processors (plausible)
    - 4th generation Apple TV with 8Player app (busted)
    - Sonos Connect (busted)

• schwarcw
    My Uptone Ultra Cap LPS-1 power supply shipped today ! I should have it Saturday
    Carl

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,205
    Had an Uptone LPS-1 waiting for me when I got home from vacation in Florida. Microrendu with the Uptone lps-1 is nice step up from the ipower ps. Only an hour or two but sounds great. This mr is a sweet digital source. Can't see wanting better!
    Lps-1 powering mrendu -> Amanero usb to I2S converter -> TPA teleporter all in this box.

mnzpfoe1pmcn.jpg
    8e2akgwhxw6a.jpg
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • vcwatkins
    Excellent, congrats. I was very pleased and surprised by the extent of the improvement from the LPS-1. One other minor tweak you may want to consider is the Sonore DC-4 power cable

I bought one shortly after release. Didn't really expect noticeable sound improvement, but wanted to ensure the best linkage possible. When I received it, I immediately switched it in for the stock Chinese cable but didn't have a chance to listen and forgot all about the cable being in there. Worked at the beach a few days. Came back, sat down Sunday morning to listen and I thought WOW this is sounding SO good, better than it's ever sounded. Then I remembered the new cable was in there. No idea what, if any, improvement in SQ the cable is causing; or if it was just being away for a while. I just know I really love the sound I'm getting now. Haven't switched it out to try to gauge the cable effect. Makes no sense to me why it would help - it's just charging the caps - but I am glad I have the CP-4 in there.

Here's a post by DavidZ at ComputerAudiophile. I also like his comment on the coming of age for computer audio.
    I've had my Microrendu for a couple of months, the LPS1 for a couple of weeks, and the DC-4 cable for a couple of days. I'm happy to be the first to pipe up (I think) with my initial impressions of the new cable, and they are very positive. I'm a big believer in the power of a good power cord, so it wasn't surprising to me. Compared with the stock cable, the soundstage and instrumental imaging were more fully fleshed out and there was more musical nuance and detail. Not subtle at all -- apparent very quickly.

To take a step back, the combination of Roon (which I discovered as part of trying out the MRendu), the MRendu, the LPS1 and the DC-4 has really been a coming of age for computer audio, in my very HO. I have the marvelous Acoustic Plan DAC, and my friend recently brought over the companion transport, which is of equivalent quality as a disc spinner. We A/B'd using the spdif/transport input vs. the USB with the MRendu + LPS1 (didn't have the DC 4 yet). It was clear to us that the the USB team sounded decisively better. I don't think that would have been true for any other incarnation of my computer front end. -- David
  • bikerboy
    I ordered the plugs and made a new cable. They were waiting with the lps-1 also. It's only 6" long and now there's no excess cable all over. This microrendu and the lps-1 combo sounds great. This is a must have for anyone that listens to files. a5dp4oq57icl.jpg
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • vcwatkins
    Ahh, didn't catch that. Nice.
    And I'm guessing the cost was a little less than $140, hehe. ;)
  • bikerboy
    Made a support for the microrendu. I swear it sounds better. Small wedge of wood holds it tight. This microrendu with the LPS sounds great. A must have for anyone playing files from a pc. Room treatments and this is bliss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!aj06ci6k10sv.jpg
  • bikerboy
    Computer audiophile product of the year! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! !
  • "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • vcwatkins
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Computer audiophile product of the year! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! !
    Cool. Thanks BB. Here's the link:
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/733-ca-s-2016-products-year/
    Good stuff. I would have liked a little more detail and a trial with the LPS-1, but overall, a good overview. Regarding the MQA pass-through. I was pretty amazed how good Doobies' Vices sounded through the Meridian Explorer2 into Senn HD600's. I need to get a decent headphone extension to do some more listening. But it really has me wanting to find a better MQA dac. Might have to try a Brooklyn.
  • vcwatkins
    Auralic Aries Mini vs. Sonore microRendu vs. SOtM SMS-200 Listening Impressions

An interesting comparison of the microRendu with a couple other steamers over at Computer Audiophile. Part 1: mR vs Aries Mini is up. Looks like the Uptone LPS-1 power supply is benfitting more than just the mR. Looking forward to the inclusion of the SMS-200.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    I only mention the other thread since that's where it actually started and there is a lot of usb isolation and network tweaks in the thread.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • vcwatkins
    Thanks! Missed that thread - I pretty much stopped reading over there after installing the LPS-1 power supply and C-4 power cable. Will try to read through that thread tonight.

Glanced at the first post and was shocked to see that the microRendu presented: "soundstage relatively flat & 1-dimensional, larger instrument & vocal sizes, treble slightly veiled, thinner vocals. Emotions of instrumental & vocal performers more difficult to perceive."

I never experienced one-dimensional soundstage with the microRendu. Ever. It bested the Bryston BDA-1 in my den rig, then improved with the LPS-1 and DC-4. The Auralic Aries must be one helluva player.

BTW, I've been happily using a Curious Cable between mR and DAC. Today I received a Wireworld Starlight 7 Platinum USB cable from @DSkip and hope to try it out tonight. Thanks, Skip!
  • erniejade
    To me because he had that kind of sound tells me he either didn't break it in or at the time he had some jitter issues. After he put a some usb isolation on it, he changed his mind on the sound but, he still likes the Aries ( not mini) better for his taste. I have chatted with a few people who are using USB with the MicroRendu and they said putting a w4s recovery on the usb side also made it sound even better ( outside of the LPS)

I also have the 7 plat from skip. From the 2 other ones I had ( nothing special) the Plat did make a difference. On the laptop rig, I have the plat going to the Intona, intona to the w4s recovery into the VI Infinity ( loaner until the VI tube is done). I was actually thinking of picking up 2 of the Curious Cables to get rid of the cheap stock "6 cables if I don't get rid of the laptop first.

• schwarcw
    Here are a couple of pics of my uRendu connected to my DAC. No cable! Just the connector from the uRendu to the DAC. Also a couple of pics of the LPS-1. I sawed the end off an old pool stick that I had in the shed. Perfect Fit!

s5ew2gt37af3.jpg

xycodmvzk1eb.jpg

uila71u0hygw.jpg

6my3uo719wa8.jpg
    Carl

• Came across this thread while searching to see if my Chord Qute EX DAC would work with a Microrendu. Looks like I have found my answer.

Thanks