Kimber Hero v Audioquest Black Mamba's

Anyone here ever compare the two head to head? Debating making a cable change but curious as to thoughts on if it will be a downgrade, upgrade or lateral move.

Thoughts appreciated....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You know what I'd say....look elsewhere. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    If you want to try the AZ cables, let me know. no charge for a test ride.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Aren't the Black Mamba's subwoofer ICs?

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Erik Tracy wrote: »

Nope thats the "Black Thunder" lol..... Mamba's are a AudioAdvisor exclusive and supposed to use the same type of copper as the King Cobra........
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Nope thats the "Black Thunder" lol..... Mamba's are a AudioAdvisor exclusive and supposed to use the same type of copper as the King Cobra........

they are both exactly the same and both are AA exclusives from Audioquest. Both Audioquest branded Diamondback "Perfect surface" and King Cobra "Perfect surface+" in AA ads they have listed them as "Perfect Surface" and "Perfect Surface+" so pick your poison it is definitely one of the two wires.

Clear as mud: B)

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited November 2016
    I tried the AQ King Cobras - they were not a good match in my system. Sloppy/loose mid-bass.

And AQ Colorado's were too bright.

I settled on a used pair of AQ Jaguars - hit the sweet spot on system synergy. They even beat out the MIT Shotgun S3s I tried which were just lack luster, ho hum.

My suggestion is to go used on ICs: they will have already taken the depreciation 'hit' and you can flip them back at little/no loss.

That way you can experiment until you hit that sweet spot.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I preferred the Kimber over the AQ king cobra all day long.
    The diamondback AQ cables were better in my systems then the
    king cobras as well. I still have one set of Cobras sitting here somewhere.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • WagnerRC
    I have Kimber and AZ and AZ is the winner for me. Kimber is good for the price.
  • tonyb
    Dan, I'd take Bob up on his offer for a ride around the block with AZ 's. I'll lay money, you won't look at AQ or Kimber the same anymore.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    Tony...

AZ = Acoustic Zen in guessing?
  • tonyb
    Yep...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    WagnerRC wrote: »

Maybe I'll take you up one day if that's ok
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WagnerRC
    You bet Joey. I have lots of cables to play with. Any time.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Joey_V wrote: »
    WagnerRC wrote: »

Maybe I'll take you up one day if that's ok

Cables don't matter, Joey. We've been through this before with you.
    n4b9ps6f8wqk.jpg
  • You looking at RCA or balanced? I'm running Hero's here but they are balanced, your welcome to try them.
  • EndersShadow
    mopar paul wrote: »
    You looking at RCA or balanced? I'm running Hero's here but they are balanced, your welcome to try them.

Thanks man. I've got unbalanced Hero's myself, found a set of Audio Advisor Black Mamba's for a decent price hence my question.......

For now I'm going to hold off though I think...