Connect Blu-Ray player to AVR or TV?

Options
acmf74
acmf74 Posts: 936
I just recently picked up a NAD receiver. I have the option to plug the Blu-ray player to the AVR. Are there any benefits going this route or just going directly to the the TV?

Thanks,

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    You can only get the lossless codecs like Dolby trueHD if you go through the avr. And even if you only have a modest surround setup, you will notice a pretty distinct difference in clarity, separation, tightness and weight of the bass, etc.

So yes, run it through the avr...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    It also makes it easier if running more than one HDMI cable device. Many into the receiver and one out to the tv
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    Definitely run it through the AVR. In addition to the benefits already mentioned here, it looks a heck of a lot cleaner (in most setups).
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    Ok. Will do the AVR route. Really looking forward to hearing the difference.

Thanks for all the replies.