Gear in storage concerns

Hello,

My gear has been in storage for a very long time (approximately 10 years long). I am going to be bringing it out of storage soon ( 2 months or so ). Should I have some concerns regarding the time off the gear has had. Should I be taking the gear to a professional first prior to hooking things up and attempting to play?

Thank you,
Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Comments

• Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    Your memory serves you well. Yes, I am in Winnipeg. The gear has been stored exclusively at room temperature.

Thank you for your response.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Good look over mice play h3ll with wiring.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    If it was boxed, you should be ok regarding dust, but it is good to take the time to blow out the dust it had before it was boxed. Don't vacuum unless you have a carbon brush and anti static grounding. Lightly blowing it off is better. Don't go crazy and blow dust into places trying to get it spotless. Canned air dusters from a distance are best. If you use compressed air from a tank, make sure to ground yourself on the chassis before touching or getting near anything.

After you plug things in, let it idle for a little bit and check for any burnt electronics smell. There will likely be a little smell of dust and moisture being warmed or burnt off. Connect your speakers and start with lower and average volumes. Listen if anything sounds off. Switch knobs only into sources you plan to use (No need to check out Phono 2 if nothing is hooked up and it is never used, in case something there has gone bad and takes out something else).

Likely nothing is wrong. You may have some static on selectors and the volume knob. DeoxIT works well for that.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    I'm no tech but in my experience in buying aged gear a good cleaning with electronic parts cleaner can make a significant improvement, especially in receivers and integrated amps, as the rotary controls are most prone to dust and corrosion when left unused and unenergized for long periods.
    After removing the cover if you can gain access to the small hole in the rotary shafts a liberal spraying inside and working them fully back and forth multiple times can usually bring them back to service.Rotary dials should then be followed up with a electronics spray with lube included to condition them.
    Also spray the input selectors and work them multiple times to restore a good connection.
    While the cover is off look for any green corrosion on copper areas and spray them.IF it isn't to extensive this may clean it enough to restore the connections.
  • Thanks people.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    hey, glad to see you back and around.
  • Willow wrote: »
    hey, glad to see you back and around.

Thank you sir!
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311