Couch against the wall, 7.1 or 5.1 + front heights?

Options
Hey everyone.
I am trying to complete my 7 channel system, but my room layout is a big constraint. Apartment living.
So, for the fronts I have RTi8s, CSi5 and for side surrounds I have RTi4s on stands.
I just got a pair of FXiA4s. Now, I am really confused on what would be my best set up given the situation.
Couch is almost against the wall. I have pulled it forward just enough to get it to recline.

My options are, in the order of preference are(not for the best sound but WAF and easier):

1. Mount the FXiA4s on the wall behind the couch and run full discrete 7 channels. This would mean the RTiA4s(side surrounds) and FXiA4s(rear surrounds) will be almost at the same plane. Cant bring the RTi4s towards the front because it will be in the way of doorway.
2. Mount the RTiA on the TV wall and use it has front heights. Use FXiA4s as side surrounds in dipole mode on the stands. Easiest option, but its not going to give me the discrete 7 channels.
3. Turn the room around 180 degrees. Mount FXi4s behind the couch as rear surrounds, use RTi4s as back side surrounds. This would give me a little room to get the RTi4s forward. But this would be my least favorite option because the couch will face the building's other side window. I do not want to have a full view of the neighbors living room and vice versa.

I feel option two would be my best option with compromise. Correct?

here is my room layout:

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-19%20at%208.53.30%20PM_zpsn0qdgvlp.png
Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    If you don't have room behind your couch a 7.1 system is not optimal. My couch has about 5 feet behind it with lsifx mounted about 2 feet above ear level. A 5.1 system will sound just as good if not better than a 7.1 system jammed into a small room. More speakers is not always better in that situation, I know because I have been there. I haven't played with front heights before, my recommendation would be to experiment, and see what sounds best to you. But doesn't sound like you have a lot of options at this point.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    If you don't have room behind your couch a 7.1 system is not optimal. My couch has about 5 feet behind it with lsifx mounted about 2 feet above ear level. A 5.1 system will sound just as good if not better than a 7.1 system jammed into a small room. More speakers is not always better in that situation, I know because I have been there. I haven't played with front heights before, my recommendation would be to experiment, and see what sounds best to you. But doesn't sound like you have a lot of options at this point.

Yah, I do not have a lot of room to experiment. And the walls being concrete, I really dont want to drill more holes.

So, you think 5.1 with RTi4s as front heights and FXiA4s as side surrounds would be the best option given my space constraints?
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I think you will get just as much from 5.1 than you will with 7.1. I would use the FXiA4's as side surrounds and try it with, and without the front heights.

Like mikeyb said, more isn't always better.

At least, that's what I keep telling my wife.
  • trj
    Options
    @Jimbo18 for me the floor/storage space is at premium. So, speakers will have to go on the walls till I move to a new place. Whether the speakers are connected or not, it will be mounted on the walls. Haha. So, I am trying to make best of my current situation.
    I am trying to keep the drilling at minimum, as concrete walls are not really fun to drill at and then patching the holes later is going to be bad.

So, if I put the FXi A4s'(as rear surrounds) on the current back wall behind the couch and angle the current RTi4's (side surrounds) towards the front of the room, will it sound better/same/or worst?

Or, may be I can just mount the FXi A4's behind the couch as rear surrounds and move the RTi4's just ahead of MLP plane to watch Movies and put it back where it is for normal viewing?

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I am no expert but I use my system for more for HT than music and I would go with the FXI A4's on the sides. My surrounds are behind the central listening position by necessity, but I think side surrounds on a 5.1 system sound better and give wider dispersion.

I would be surprised if you need the RTi4's at all in a small room.
  • hotnix45
    hotnix45 Posts: 3
    Options
    5.1 is your best option. I was thinking about front height speakers before, but the installer that ran my wires talked me out of it saying that it didn't make that much of a difference from the ones he has installed or heard.
    Theater Room
    Pioneer Elite SC-75
    Emotiva XPA 2, XPA 5, ET 3
    Panamax M5300PM, Furman M8x2
    Polk RTI A9,RTI A6,FXi A6, RC80i
    Dual SVS PB12+
    AC Infiniti fans
    Samsung UBD K8500
    Samsung UN65HU8550
    Epson 2045, 100" motorized projection screen
    PS4,PS3, Xbox 1
    Homeworx Tuner,Kodi, Google Chromecast
    Corner Blox Bass Traps, 2'x4' sound panels

• trj
    Options
    5.1 is ideal with FXi A4s as side surrounds, I am sure.
    But my problem is I will have extra pair of RTi4's which I really don't have place to store. Hence trying to use everything I have than to take up storage space.

I don't want to sell any of the pairs because I am anticipating a move soon where I want to go 7.1.4 atmos and all these speakers will be my bed layer. I am trying to get the most of what I have currently by not keeping speakers in storage. Hence, the dilemma.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I think the conses is that the extra 2 speakers will add little if any benefit.

If your couch is against the wall, and that is primarily where you sit, I would use the fx's as rears. I don't think the rt's will give you any benefit as rears, simply because you're too close to benefit from direct firing speakers.

Since the fx's can offer a diffused sound, firing slightly side ways, they may offer a small benefit.

I personally have the FXI a6's on surround duty, RTI a3's as rears, and really like that configuration. I do have about 5 feet from the front of the a3's to my seating position, so that helps a lot.

If I were you, probably go would probably keep the rt's on stands, since you don't want to drill holes. Leave the fx's in the boxes until I moved, and have one more reason to never live in an apartment again.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    ^^^ there's a great answer.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    The type of surround is dependent on several factors.

I dredged this up from an earlier post
    If your room is smallish and/or acoustically dead and/or you have multiple seats, dipoles tend to work better, with an even but compromised listening window.

If you have a larger and/or more live room with less seating, or seating away from the surround speakers, direct-radiating surrounds can be better.

If you are a sad, lonely, pathetic little man who sits in his solitary, cushy theater chair, five identical direct-radiating speakers, equidistant from your ears, can provide an absolutely holographic movie experience, allowing you to momentarily forget that you are lonely and unliked, with no friends.

I fit the last category and use RTi4s as my surrounds with my couch along the back wall due to constraints.
    RTI4-Omni-mount-2.JPG

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • trj
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advise and recommendations.
    I had the Fxi's in the boxes for some months(taking you guy's advise). Just couldn't keep looking at them, so I decided to drill the holes on the wall.
    I mounted the FXi4s behind the couch as rear surrounds and will move the RTi4s a little forward when watching movies. Today, my order of speaker wires from bluejeanscable is being delivered. Will wire them up tomorrow and post my findings. If it sounds just as good as my current 5.1 I'd be happy, if it sounds better, I will be happier. I just hope it doesnt sound worst. :)
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    next step;
    h9u24z7d2dr9.jpeg

Which drivers are the dimensional? B)
  • trj
    Options
    next step;
    h9u24z7d2dr9.jpeg

Got it. Now to find amplifiers to power them. Probably will have to lease power from hoover dam. :smile:

Well, wired the FXiA4s as rear surrounds, RTi4s as side surrounds. Moved RTi4s slightly forward of the MLP, ran calibration. I am liking it. With the 7.1 discrete sound encoded blu-rays its great.

For everyday viewing, I leave the RTi4s, parallel to the couch, facing MLP and watch OTA broadcast on dobly digital 5.1(thats what I get from the antennae). This keeps the walkway and windows clear of the speakers on the stands. Come movie time, RTi4s come forward and switch to 7.1.

Floor space saved, no more speakers in a box, and able to enjoy movies in 7.1. Over all, I am very happy. I am sure improvements can be made by moving things around, but with minimum rearrangement I am able to utilize what I have given the space situation.

So, if anyone is looking for a 7.1 instead of 5.1 in couch against the wall situation, definitely doable and effective too. 7.1 discrete sound is much immersive. I was not expecting the internal upmixing of receiver to be good but even pro logic IIx mixed is better than pro logic II on 5.1.

Cant wait to have atmos, but have to move first.