September 17th, Half-assed NJ fest

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    OK boys and girls, for those interested I just finished up my little shopping trip, and returned with a nice armful of porcine goodness. Tomorrow they will get lots of love and spend a few hours bathed in smoke and heat, after which the little piggies will be all wrapped up and ready for their trip to Uncle Johns house.

Yes, it's a sickness. o:)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Pics...NOW! :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Wait until the briskets get put on in the morning.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    It's 8 am, shhhhhh!

Don't wake the babies!

f862n89ewcrb.jpg
    ad0jqqf1g3qj.jpg

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I see a long winters nap in someones future, great looking grub guys...*green with envy*

Enjoy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jstas
    Pork tenderloin ready for the smoker

gh408jioo9s7.jpg

• Jstas
    Got about 3 more hours

fz9zvxkyhjid.jpg

• I'm jealous for sure. Great weather to boot. Have fun.
  • I think I can smell it from here! Looking good, enjoy!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Yum! Wish I lived closer to the east coast.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Thanks John!!! As well as to Harry and Phil and anyone else who provided grub. Back in MD with a very happy belly. Great to put some faces with forum names. Had a great time meeting and chatting with all!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    We need some pics.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • polrbehr
    Can't speak for other people, but for myself I didn't take many pics; I did get an off-axis shot of the KEF speakers Phil brought over (no sub needed), but I guess I was just in a "been there, done that" state of mind. Either that or a chronic state of beef and pork induced euphoria? ;)

To reiterate what's been said for several years now, major kudos go out to John for hosting this, and for serving up a fantastic array of smoky goodness. How he managed to raise the bar again defies explanation, but a couple of pix certainly don't do that brisket justice. On the audio/demo side of the equation, he also had his new in-walls fully broken in and ratcheted up, and people who think Polk can't make a good subwoofer would be in for a treat.

But honestly, all that aside, John deserves high marks for continuing to promote a good feeling of community spirit by hosting these things, especially in a year when things just never materialized for a HQ-sponsored event. It made this one even more memorable, as someone not only stepped up, they hit it out of the park.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Looks AWESOME... Obviously not a Vegan event...

Now I am HONGRAY!!!!!!!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    John,
    I want to say thank you for such a great host. it's wonderful to see old faces again..
    here are some pics I took. Food was fantastic and the basement setup was great for kids. Polk sub sounded great and really felt like watching at a movie theater...
    Polk in-wall speakers looked and sounded great.
    you can see that John changed the location of the in-walls at last minute. Can't wait to see when the rack gets built and hope to see Starwars episode 7 without hiccup.

Ginger ale really helped me on the way home.

fp6qrv7pilkl.jpg
    89emobdck8sx.jpg
    wekw4teiqgpy.jpgqptel9sixvco.jpg
    sbbpbeqewmm4.jpg
    76h0aa5hss49.jpg
    662p0yn5tlxn.jpg
    znsz22sjt6cw.jpg
    3s8hk6oya2l5.jpg
    hq8fdqvtr1j3.jpg
    l4ejdlxcup0b.jpg
    x0j9lt8b1os7.jpg
    0kzfzpn6upmy.jpg
    nyrqdf047rsy.jpg
    dz61xmdh81v5.jpg
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • World class chow! Looks like it was a great time. Congrats, John!
  • John,

Thanks for hosting. It was great to meet up with some of the folks on the forum. Your inwall setup sounded great.
  • Jstas
    Yeah, I didn't really take any pictures either.

The way I see it, being there is way better than looking at pictures online.

We ended up with a bunch of leftovers again 'cause we ended up with about 18-20 people coming but, by Saturday morning, we were down to 11-12 hence the reason for all the leftovers. Nobody ever takes anything home with them either so I end up with piles of stuff that either has to get eaten by just me, frozen or wasted and that's really annoying.

But thanks to everyone who brought something. I still can't fit anything in the beer fridge or the kitchen fridge for that matter. Special thanks to Phil and Ed for the flatbreads (amazingly good for how simple they are) and the sweaty chocolate balls (these were the only thing people were willing to take home along with the pickles, next time, the whole menu is pickles, flatbreads and sweaty chocolate balls).

The menu included:
    John's mom's pickle recipe
    Phil's flatbreads (3 or 4 different kinds)
    Harry's ribs (2 different rubs IIRC)
    Harry's pork loin (3 different ways)
    Harry's pasta salad which he forgot about but trust me, it's really good
    Harry's baked beans
    John's brisket
    John's pork tenderloin
    Macaroni salad
    Cole slaw
    Corn on the cob
    Ed's sweaty chocolate balls

I think that was everything. If I missed anything, I'm sorry.

Also, thanks to cnh for filling out the rest of bar stock. Fully stocked bar and nobody wanted a drink.

At least we broke open the Metaxa he brought in honor of George.

Really missed George this time around.

It was a fun time, thanks to those who came.

Also, yes devani, I changed the location of the stereo pair when my friend Brian came over to help me pull wires. I needed a strong stud finder for the right side to see where the studs were and found I was able to move them out at the same distance from either side to the next wall space. So I did. Made a difference in sound stage presentation, I think. The left to right and right left movement of sound is very pronounced and the front sound stage, while centered, is very wide. Worked out good.

• Jstas
    Also, Phil, the lager got bottle on Sunday. Final Gravity was a hair under 7% ABV. Expecting to pick up a full point with bottle conditioning.

• polrbehr
    @devani, thanks a lot for that extreme close-up of the brisket.
    I had just started feeling better about not taking any of that home with me :'(

I was remiss in my earlier post, I forgot to thank the other people who brought goodies for us.

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Food looks great! The pics are making me hungry
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Also, Phil, the lager got bottle on Sunday. Final Gravity was a hair under 7% ABV. Expecting to pick up a full point with bottle conditioning.

Let me know when she's finished fermenting & good & cold...I'll be over to critique!!!

I would like to offer another round of Kudos to John for hosting another grand time for us grungy misfits. Between John & Harry handling the pork & beef agenda, our bellies were well taken care of. It's a lot of planning & work to pull an event like that off & John does it without breaking a sweat!

Just a great day of shooting the breeze & BSsssssssing. The day went too fast & it was hard to believe that a whole year had almost past since the last one, sheesh time sure does fly. Oh & let's not forget to thank Ed's wife for those luscious balls of his...LOL! You had to be there to appreciate it. And a big thank you to Devani for the pics, otherwise they would have been non-existent. Maybe next year again fellers ????

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • mdaudioguy
    Ha! You guys had my wife cracking up when I read a few of those quotes to her! Fair to say that a good time was had by all! Yes, I got hungry again just looking at those pics... Later, dudes.
  • mdaudioguy
    Oh, and if that was half-assed, I'm even more depressed that I missed the full-assed version...
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2016
    Many thanks to John for hosting. The food? Phenomenal! I'm still digesting all that pork, lol Those who said they would show and did not? Shame on you! Polk Audio, Polkfest June? Black Hole, anyone? Seriously, you boys need to get your Hipster Acts together! Nice Ad on the new series in Sound and Vision though! So, at least someone is working!

But, seriously, the great thing about these meets are the people, regardless of creed or ideology they ALWAYS recognise and treat each other as members of a community when they meet face to face. No posturing, no educating, no monkey shines, no ego, just a deep respect and abiding friendship! And, of course, they love laughing, music, drinking and eating. Now, if only they could learn to DANCE, they would fully embody the Zorba life that revels in "appearances" and by doing so gives birth to their "essences" (Kazantzakis).

That one is for you, George, wherever you are!
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Wow - the food and beverages looked amazing. Would love to get out to one of your get-togethers John! Sounds like it was a great time.