Just Discovering Lossless Digital

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,429
    You could compare a hybrid SACD no?
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• I've read that there is a difference in the sound between an SACD and a DSD download. I just have never bothered to spend the money on both again just to compare. This habit is expensive enough :D
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 1,976
    edited September 2016
    Reading this thread was a hoot. I won't shout too loud as to the format I use, and trust I have tries all formats as to arrive with what rocks and what don't. The OP knows what's up and I'm sure he is digging it. I won't even spill how many albums I have on my NAS, but will admit it is a sickness and a very addicting hobby and within the next month I will be forced to move to a pair of 8TB WD Purples if I am to continue this never ending journey/Habbit!!!

Changing my handle to "JackDaRipper" :)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!" "Smile & Stay Warm!!"
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,088
    afterburnt wrote: »
    You could compare a hybrid SACD no?

A hybrid CD is just regular CD (for the CD portion) at 16/44. However, it might be mastered differently than the version on only a regular CD, so then there could be a difference in sound.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb wrote: »
    machone wrote: »
    I have only ripped to WAV to date.
    When ripping cds how does the sound quality compare between WAV and FLAC?

Depends....on if your system is revealing enough to discern those small differences. Wav files take up much more room than Flac or other lossless formats but if you have a nice big external hard drive it shouldn't be an issue.

The reason Wav files take up more room is because they are uncompressed, unlike other lossless formats which are, and then uncompressed at playback. Some say it does make a difference in sound quality, some say not so much. I guess that comes down to your system.

FLAC audio can be set to various levels of compression including zero compression. At FLAC level 8 the audio is not compressed.

Lossless is lossless regardless of the format. If you hear a difference between different formats when comparing equal quality recordings then you have another deficiency in your system to address.

I have been collecting FLAC audio for ten years now. FLAC isn't anything new. It's been around for 20 years. At this time I have over 15 TB of FLAC audio and am still growing. All of my audio files are on Western Digital Caviar Black SATA hard drives in an Addonics hot-swapable tower.
    POLK AUDIO SRT
    (Signature Reference Theater)

2rqdrna.jpg s6k686.jpg 11rgneu.jpg
    SRT 10.2 SYSTEM
    (4) SRT Subs & Satellites
    (2) SRT Center Speakers
    (2) SRT Control Centers w/Remote
    (4) f/x1000 Surrounds
    (2) PSW650 Subs
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    At this time I have over 15 TB of FLAC audio and am still growing.

Wow, that's a small fortune in music $$$$

Oh, wait... that's right. I meant

Wow, that's several lifetimes in prison if you get caught with all that!
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 1,976
    edited September 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    I have only ripped to WAV to date.
    When ripping cds how does the sound quality compare between WAV and FLAC?

Depends....on if your system is revealing enough to discern those small differences. Wav files take up much more room than Flac or other lossless formats but if you have a nice big external hard drive it shouldn't be an issue.

The reason Wav files take up more room is because they are uncompressed, unlike other lossless formats which are, and then uncompressed at playback. Some say it does make a difference in sound quality, some say not so much. I guess that comes down to your system.

FLAC audio can be set to various levels of compression including zero compression. At FLAC level 8 the audio is not compressed.

Lossless is lossless regardless of the format. If you hear a difference between different formats when comparing equal quality recordings then you have another deficiency in your system to address.

I have been collecting FLAC audio for ten years now. FLAC isn't anything new. It's been around for 20 years. At this time I have over 15 TB of FLAC audio and am still growing. All of my audio files are on Western Digital Caviar Black SATA hard drives in an Addonics hot-swapable tower.

"Lossless is lossless regardless of the format. If you hear a difference between different formats when comparing equal quality recordings then you have another deficiency in your system to address."

Actually if you can't hear the difference you have a deficiency in your system! Whether you address it or not is your choice.

And over 15TB worth of Audio = easily over 25 thousand albums, even at 16bit 441000Hz.......and I Thought I had a ton with 8500 albums??? My formula is working so good, I am now swapping my 2 WD Red 4TB's for 2
    Seagate 10TB IronWolf NAS SATA 6Gb/s drives and when the 10TB drive full, it should be a little over 20 thousand albums, artwork and all. Crazy hobby, but a lotta fun.. get down!!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!" "Smile & Stay Warm!!"
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,176
    edited September 2016
    I can hear the difference. I can play a cd, running to a W4S dac2, and then listen to FLAC rip of the same cd running through Jriver to the same w4s dac2 I can pick the cd every time. I have upgraded my usb calbe and that helped bring it closer but the cd still sounds better. From what I have been reading, I might need to try something other then the laptop for my source.

Although reading DarqueKnight threads, his dac and player setup is way above mine and he can also hear the difference unless I am reading his threads wrong.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

Sure he can. The rips are always better than the CD.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • machonemachone Posts: 990
    BlueFox,
    Why do you think the rips are better that the CD?
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Equinox 7>> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,771
    BlueFox,

No transport to add noise. It is all about noise reduction, hence why a laptop is normally not a good solution for a source.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,735
    DSkip wrote: »
    BlueFox,

No transport to add noise. It is all about noise reduction, hence why a laptop is normally not a good solution for a source.

How about a lap top with a solid state drive?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,881
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    BlueFox,

How about a lap top with a solid state drive?

Would be an improvement but laptop power supplies is an inherent issue also
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    I am all in when it comes to reducing any type of noise. That is the reason I go rid on my laptop and went all solid state, Fidelizer, IFI Purifier 2, linear power supply, etc. All of these made improvements.

However, on my system I am not sure that rips sound better than CDs. Both are running through the Marantz SA8005 dac. But one thing that I am guilty of is using Windows Media Player to rip the CDs. Too busy/lazy to re-rip using Jriver.

One other option with the SA8005 is to copy the wav file to a thumb drive and play via the usb port on the front panel.
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Equinox 7>> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005

• heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,835
    I don't believe Windows Media is bit perfect. Stop being lazy and do it the correct way :p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    BlueFox,

I was referring to the previous post where the poster said DK hears a difference.

One reason might be that while the ripped file is the same as the file on the CD disc, as others mentioned, you do get read jitter using a laser to read pits on a plastic disc.

Personally, I find my file player with built in DAC to be much better than my CD player, which actually is not too bad.

If you are running a file player into your CD player and using the CD player internal DAC then you need to take into account the cable used between the file player and DAC, along with the power supply cable on the file player. Those two cables can make or break the sound quality.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    I've heard the argument both ways. I've experienced it both ways. A lot factors in and I think it boils down how you pull either one off in the end. I've been very happy with my dedicated media streamer but I also don't mind throwing a disk in every now and then and taking in what that does. I want to say there might be more dynamic headroom that I hear on an actual disk, but I'm not certain. When I stepped up to the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable, I pretty much quit using my disks as the sound was so much better.

Ernie, I know you have a new DAC on the way (or ?), but I do believe that once the W4S is out of the picture, the gap will close even more.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    I am hopping so skip. I am still waiting for the VI Tube Dac to be built. I was one of the early people who got on board with the pulse dac but opted for the upgraded Vi Tube.

The final piece might be getting the laptop out of the picture.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200

• jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,165
    edited September 2016
    I stream JRiver via DNLA and use the optical out from a chromecast audio ($35) into the Musical Fidelity DAC. It sounds very good and is very inexpensive. I really do not think I would even consider connecting via usb at this point.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
    I stream JRiver via DNLA and use the optical out from a chromecast audio ($35) into the Musical Fidelity DAC. It sounds very good and is very inexpensive. I really do not think I would even consider connecting via usb at this point.

Those devices are great, cheap solutions that do indeed sound good. I wouldn't go as far as you, but then again I've got a couple grand into my streamer and USB cable.
    audiothesis.com/

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,807
    but then again I've got a couple grand into my streamer and USB cable.
    mxandfq60nq6.gif

• StantonZStantonZ Posts: 389
    A lot of these cables/connections issues are dispensed with if you put a FLASH drive in the USB slot of your AVR; I have pretty much moved from CD -> FLAC with my new AVR (although CDs on my LD player still sound pretty good).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,882
    edited October 2016

Level 8 is still compressed. Below level 8 in the dBpoweramp drop down menu is Uncompressed, which is kind of an oxymoron. Uncompressed is a special compression mode which stores 16 bit audio in an uncompressed state. ;)

To me, the important thing with flac using dBpoweramp is tick the 'Verify Written Audio' box after selecting flac level. Then, after encoding and compression is complete, the compressed audio will be read and compared to the source.

http://www.audiostream.com/images/1125flac.jpgu3g85bxf11e6.png
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

edited October 2016
    Oh, if you diy and build your own music server using Vortexbox 2.4 (Linux, PC must be 64 bit), it is designed from the ground up to be a bit perfect CD ripper, server, and player. IIRC V2.4 can handle up to 32/384. Sometimes I rip CD's with my server instead of dBpoweramp and just check/adjust tagging afterward.

I use a Signature Sonore Music Server with Deux power supply. Vortexbox 2.4. You can use internal drives or point your server to an external hard drive array.

http://wiki.vortexbox.org/installation_guide

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,577
    I think you guys are going way over the OP's head here. lol

Ya don't throw a kid who just got his license into a Ferrari, know what I'm sayin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    ENZOF3.jpg
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think you guys are going way over the OP's head here. lol

:smiley:

Screen-Shot-2013-07-29-at-8.13.31-AM.png

• DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,307
    edited October 2016
    erniejade wrote: »
    Although reading DarqueKnight threads, his dac and player setup is way above mine and he can also hear the difference unless I am reading his threads wrong.

You read them correctly. Other than when in my car or truck, I don't listen to CDs anymore. Everything is either a download or CD ripped to uncompressed FLAC using dBpoweramp. My SACDs were/are ripped to dsf files using a hacked Sony Playstation.

The only time I buy something in CD or SACD disk format is if it isn't available in digital download format.

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
    heiney9,

I finally took the time and I am a believer.

I have been re-ripping cds to wav files using Jriver and they are better than the same cds ripped to wav using Windows Media Player. I am hearing things in music previously unnoticed.

The Marantz SA-8500 sounds better than ever. I know I keep saying this but I keep tweaking in the right direction.
    1KVA Dreadnought
    Marantz SA 8005

Wav for me was also the big changer as well.