Power Trigger for Crown XLS Series 2 Pro Amps

I know some folks have used these amps with great success for various installations. I'm looking at the Series 2 (1002 or 1502) amp for DYI subwoofers. My question is remotely powering them on/off. The "features" mention "remote power trigger", however, it's not your typical 12v trigger. Speaking to reps at Harmon, they say it's just a contact closure, but a simple 12v relay will work. I'm clueless on what to get and how to make it work. Has anyone added a 12v relay switch to a Crown amp? If so, I'd be eternally grateful for any advice or how-to's.

My AVR and separate amp both have a 12v trigger out using a 1/8" (headphone style) plug. I want something as simple as possible so we don't have to separately power this amp on/off. Looks like the Crown amps have a 2-pin (utilizing the "sleep" and ground pins) connection on the back like this:

7v7ndfswj3fq.jpg

Appreciate any ideas!

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    So, I posed this similar question on Amazon, and got a few answers, but very little specifics. I understand it's possible, and has been done before. I asked one person how they did it (what parts, and how) and they responded with this:

"Microprocessor, solid state relays 40 amp, 12 volt relay to do the trigger side, pc power cords for the power side. Could wire to outlets just as easy, but they only come with 3 foot cords."

As much as I appreciate the response, it still leaves me with many questions... the parts they describe are very generic. In other words, if I search for "microprocessor", I'm going to get a very broad range of results! Someone else also recommended a Phoenix connector for the "AUX" input on the back.

Any electronic experts here who can walk me through the exact parts I'd need and how to 'connect' them? Again, looking for something to power the amp on/off when the B&K sends a 12v signal. The output on the B&K is a 1/8" plug, and the input on the Crown would look like the AUX port in the photo above. I was told it would need to short the 'sleep' and ground pins.

Any help is appreciated!
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Looking at the amp manual it said that if you connect the sleep pin to the ground pin (pin 1&2) the amp goes into sleep mode. You can test this out by turning the amp on and then using a little piece of wire to short pins 1 and 2. If the map turn off then it works. So you are going to use the relay as a switch. Pin 30 and pin 87A are normally closed. So when there is no power to the relay those two pins have contact. If you run your wires to those two pins form your amp then its like using that little jumper wire and the amp should go into sleep mode. From your pre-amp you have a trigger wire. This wire I assume puts out 12V when the pre-amp is turned on. These wires need to go on pins 85 and 86 of the relay. This is the coil side and once it sees power it will flip the contacts inside the relay to pin 87 which has nothing on it (open), which should take the amp out of sleep mode. Turn off the pre-amp which takes power away from the trigger wire, will turn off the relay and put the amp into sleep mode. The only thing you need to test out is if your pre-amp has enough milliamps to hold the coil of the relay open. Get a normal 12v car relay to try it out.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    I cant attach this picture to show you the routing.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited March 2016
    Deuce, THANKS! That sounds exactly like what was explained to me. Your diagram is a huge help and makes perfect sense. I just needed to "see" the parts and how to connect them, and the diagram does just that. So, the 12v trigger from the pre/avr/first amp needs to have enough juice to hold the relay open. Then when it powers down, the relay closes, shorts pins 1 & 2 and the Crown amp will go into "sleep" mode. This is exactly what I needed. Now I just need to find out how many milliamps the B&K puts out, and find a relay that will work with it.

Here's the pic you provided...

gj9ghkk2zbjr.jpg

Thanks again!

-Al
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I have a follow-up question:

Is it possible to use something like this:
    https://sewelldirect.com/35mm-audio-male-to-3-terminal-female-adapter-?stm_type=ppc&stm_source=adwords&product_id=sw-30552&campaignid=201733323&adgroupid=15064097043&creative=43430156643&keyword=&gclid=cjwkeajwgpe4brcb66gg8po69qksjac4ehhhoszmnzqw1e66cypb0umoc-naxujkx3ezupnysapqobocwbvw_wcb

So get around the 12v relay? You could use a female to male 3.5mm connector to connect this to the receiver.

This could also just not work, so I'm asking.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I have a follow-up question:

Is it possible to use something like this:
    https://sewelldirect.com/35mm-audio-male-to-3-terminal-female-adapter-?stm_type=ppc&stm_source=adwords&product_id=sw-30552&campaignid=201733323&adgroupid=15064097043&creative=43430156643&keyword=&gclid=cjwkeajwgpe4brcb66gg8po69qksjac4ehhhoszmnzqw1e66cypb0umoc-naxujkx3ezupnysapqobocwbvw_wcb

So get around the 12v relay? You could use a female to male 3.5mm connector to connect this to the receiver.

This could also just not work, so I'm asking.
  • DanMo
    DanMo Posts: 1
    I have to admit that the simple remote trigger description that Crown and resellers use is a bit misleading.

Anyway, I built a relay device that puts my XLS 2502 into sleep mode when I turn my AV receiver off. It's a relay circuit which goes from closed to open when the 12 volt from the receiver goes on. If anyone is interested, here are the parts I used and where I purchased them in the SF Bay Area (and also online).

12 volt 4 pole double throw relay (NTE R12-17D3-12) Fry’s Electronics, about $12
    Socket for relay (NTE R95-106A) Fry’s Electronics, about $8
    Project box (LMB #TF-771) Fry’s Electronics, about $7
    Phoenix connector (Hosa PHX-100F), Full Compass, $1.11
    1/4” Vinyl Grommet (Tech-Tron), Fry’s Electronics, under $3 for a box of 33.
    2 conductor cable (Belden 8451), Various, about $0.30/foot in bulk
    1/8” stereo connector cable (Monoprice #644), Monoprice, $0.88/each.
    Heavy duty double stick mounting tape (3M)

I'll try to attach a photo of the inside of the box as well as the completed project. It works well!

j4fljdwbbqwn.jpg
  • Danmo, what is the output of your receiver's 12v trigger? Mine is putting out 12v 50ma and with those exact relays I can only get the contracts to wiggle.
  • Thanks I am using crowns 2 4000 2 350 3 250 xti and xls 9.2 entegra processer pre amp can't find triggers, like that setup. Is it a kit or your creation? It sounds like somthing I could incorporateinto my theather system, is their a schematic you would share?
  • MuvLuv
    MuvLuv Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    I know this is old thread but I took the advice from DanMo and purchased most of the items just not the wires since I have to wait and see how small of a gauge all these connections will take. The question I have if that one relay is enough for six crown two 2502 and four 1502. Also can I use this if I plug one end of the rca into a sound card output the sound card I am using is an asus essence STX ii 7.1 sound card.