Stranger Things

Just finished the first season. My God how amazing that show is, the sound track, acting writing and directing is all on point. If you haven't seen the show I would recommend it. I personally think it beat GOT for me.

Now to wait a year for another season.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Just started watching it last night, already hooked! No spoilers please

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I won't spoil anything but man be prepared to get even more hooked. The longer you watch the better it gets.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I'm halfway through the season and WOW, totally hooked!
    No excuses!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    After seeing this thread, I watched episode one last night. I really liked what I have watched so far.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    I got pulled into this as well. Only watched the first 2 so far, but will probably keep going. Seems okay.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Goonies meets (S King's) It. It was just ok for me.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Is this series ok for kids, well tweens, to watch? My kids (11 and 13) have seen Lost, and we felt that wasn't too inappropriate.
  • codycatalist
    edited July 2016
    @scubalab There is some scenes involving gore or lots of blood. There aren't too often, there are also quite a bit of scary moments. You're call, I wouldn't say NO kids shouldn't watch but I also wouldn't say "Bring the whole family".

• scubalab
    Thanks Cody! Sounds like it'll be alright. My kids are pretty good at self-regulating. We don't let them watch R rated type shows/movies, but for the most part, they know what they like and understand it's all fiction, if it gets to be too much, they usually just tell us they don't like it and go play, or read. We're pretty lucky in that we have two very responsible children when it comes to content that may be inappropriate. I've actually monitored their youtube surfing and have overheard them say "turn it off, they're swearing..."
  • codycatalist
    @scubalab Sounds like you have some keepers there. :)

• scubalab

Yeah, we like them, although I may be a little biased... ;)

I've got two daughters 11 and 13. I blinked and they were young ladies. We're trying to do as much with them as possible because time... it is 'a flyin'! Whether it's making breakfast together on the weekends, going for hikes, swimming, listening to music together (my 11-year old has already 'claimed' my tube amp and little Polks for when she goes to college), or vegging out in front of the TV or playing a game after a long day, we try to do as much as we can together. That's why it's nice to find a good series that we can all watch together.

You're not too far behind IIRC... don't you have a younger daughter? Enjoy every minute with her. I still haven't found a flux capacitor to take me back to some of the times I wish went a little slower...

• codycatalist
    scubalab wrote: »

Yeah, we like them, although I may be a little biased... ;)

I've got two daughters 11 and 13. I blinked and they were young ladies. We're trying to do as much with them as possible because time... it is 'a flyin'! Whether it's making breakfast together on the weekends, going for hikes, swimming, listening to music together (my 11-year old has already 'claimed' my tube amp and little Polks for when she goes to college), or vegging out in front of the TV or playing a game after a long day, we try to do as much as we can together. That's why it's nice to find a good series that we can all watch together.

You're not too far behind IIRC... don't you have a younger daughter? Enjoy every minute with her. I still haven't found a flux capacitor to take me back to some of the times I wish went a little slower...

Yeah my little one is 5! I try and make sure whenever she is around she knows that being with her is top priority. Due to visitation I only get her every other weekend but I make sure she has a good time and we bond over one thing or another.

She likes to start up the turn table and play some records from time to time. I taught her what an EQ was and how to play around with sound frequencies. I think she will be a little musician when she gets older.

• scubalab
    Cody - That's AWESOME! Start 'em young! Enjoy every minute of those weekends together.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I was skeptical of the show because of all the hype....then started watching. I made it through the first four episodes and I am hooked. The surround sound and effects are great....I can't understand why more shows don't pay attention to the surround sound part of production.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Watched the entire 1st season, liked it. Nice to see Wynona acting, sort of, and not shoplifting.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited August 2016
    I'm loving it!

@scubalab, how are ur kids doing with it? I would think it too much for an 11 yo, but my 8yo had nightmares after Zootopia so maybe we're in a very different place lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Strong Bad
    Watched the entire 1st season, liked it. Nice to see Wynona acting, sort of, and not shoplifting.

I find it interesting how people are still beating her up over the whole shoplifting thing that happened 15 years ago.

No excuses!
  • westmassguy
    Strong Bad wrote: »

I find it interesting how people are still beating her up over the whole shoplifting thing that happened 15 years ago.

She can barely act. What other memorable things has she done in the last 15 years?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • I'm sure there has been some, but I can't name any.

I really liked the series though, I would love to see a second season.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2016
    Dude the part where the Koolaid man came through the wall yelling "Oh YEAHHH!!!" wasEPIC
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Strong Bad
    She can barely act. What other memorable things has she done in the last 15 years?

Her acting ability or lack thereof is not the point. People for some reason keep beating on her for the ONE incident 15 years ago. Do you want to be defined today by something dumb you did many years ago?

She was fine to me in Stranger Things and the series itself was great! It's a must watch!
    No excuses!
  • westmassguy
    Not getting into a t*t for tat over this. I'm out.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Watched the first season, can't wait for the second.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • The first season was amazing...I hope they can follow up with a great season two. I have heard from an unreliable source that the following season will be completely different stories with different a cast.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    She is hot in a way....so who cares about her acting ability.
  • scubalab
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I'm loving it!

@scubalab, how are ur kids doing with it? I would think it too much for an 11 yo, but my 8yo had nightmares after Zootopia so maybe we're in a very different place lol...

Hey Paul (@rooftop59), Sorry I missed this. I don't remember getting pinged.

We watched the whole series. I will say that both my daughters were a little scared (my younger 11-year old much more) by the first couple episodes. However, once they got hooked, they loved it. They can't wait for Season 2 and to see (hopefully this isn't a spoiler...) what happens with Eleven.

The first season was amazing...I hope they can follow up with a great season two. I have heard from an unreliable source that the following season will be completely different stories with different a cast.

Jeremy - I hope they don't pull a "True Detective" with this series. That was such a letdown! Stick with what WORKS!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Watched it as well, can't wait to see the next season.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer wrote: »
    Watched it as well, can't wait to see the next season.

Yeah they teased the second season. Hoping they are already shooting.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Seems like I am the only person in the world that didn't like this show. I watch a lot of TV and movies and just thought this was mediocre with mostly poor acting.
  • And I thought I was easily amused??? It's ok!! Not all that!! The good thing is if you have teens (which I have one) then it makes for some good fam type watching, but as adult watching...........ah......not!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!