Original owner looking for help

Options
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping to be an active member and could use all the help I can get with regards to my Original SDA SRS.

My father purchase these new in 1987. I still have the original manual and actual purchase sheet via vendor and price.

I have kept these speakers always inside and they have always worked. I have not actively used these speakers in about 13 years, but they have stays in my living room. I have a few other audiophile setups but I really want to refurbish and/or bring back to new form. I also still have the original Mcintosh 2500 amp that was paired with these.

I contacted Polk and they were great suggesting i look via,the forums and also can purchase all the new drivers and tweeters. Now these speakers work, well did 13 years ago. I'm looking for really a vendor who can bring them back to new or even change out the cones to,the newer models. I can do,it myself with guidance,,but don't mind paying a professional or craftsman that can do a better job then I can. They hold a lot of value to me due to belonging to my father whom passed, as well as being the cause of me becoming an audiophile today.

I kindly ask for any help and or guidance. IM located in NJ.

Thank you and I look forward n becoming fronds with all.

Len

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum. You've inherited a great set of speakers that can be brought into the 21st century with modifications many (including myself) have done or had done to them. Many threads on this Forum give accounts of what others have done, and there are guys on the Forum (e.g., @westmassguy) who can do the work for you, if you prefer. I had two sets of SDAs modified by Vr3 Mods, but the owner of that shop (Trey) has since moved on to other things.

There is no limit to what you can do -- well, there is a limit, but I wouldn't test it. :)

Oh, by the way, hold on to your wallet. Mods that are possible are both worthwhile and sometimes costly.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• ltleo74
    ltleo74 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you very much. Please excuse my novice approach on how,or where to start.

I'm torn between, replacing all original and bringing back to factory specs, as I've enjoyed these speakers for many years growing up. Or do I modify them. Will that ruin the over all aspect of what these speakers where/are?

I have other set ups that include Wilson Sophia and totem wind designs. So these can I bring them to live music?

I apologize about my lack of direction. I'm as i stated torn between do I change what is an original owner set in good condition to something else and if,so.... Where to go?

Thank you again
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Gently and evenly press in on each 6.5" midwoofer. Are any of them frozen or do they make scratching noises as they move?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to replace the mid-drivers as long as they are working. The tweeters on the other hand should be replaced with the RD0194-1available from Polk as they are considerably better than the SL2000.

Other than that, upgrade the crossovers, add spikes, add Dynamat Xtreme to the baskets, install Blackhole 5, install Larry's rings or Hurricane nuts, upgrade the binding posts and the jumpers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Options
    Hello Len and welcome to the forum. I have a pair of SRS's that have been modified by westmassguy and me and have no regrets. Mods include RD0194 tweeters (no need to preplace MW's if not frozen), glued M/W magnets, resealed inside seams, tightened loose end caps, and some I can't recall right now

Some mods with pictures:
    Crossovers by David (wmg)
    5s908z4vbkrc.jpg
    Dynamat M/W and P/R basket
    iql2d3jihj9a.jpg
    Blackhole 5
    ihmkqvxms79q.jpg
    Binding posts (DIY cables and jumpers from Doug- douglasconnection)
    n24bdwsxy695.jpg

PM if you would like to discuss.
    Don
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    You from Joisee? What exit? Formerly, 11, NJT or 139, GSP. These days Athens, GA

Welcome to the place where the knowledge & and experience to get best from your system has no limits!

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • ltleo74
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I'm further N. Jersey, around exit 152 PKWY.
    With testing the cones via gentle push, I think I found maybe one on each speaker with some crackling noise. Other then that, I get crackling via the passive large plate on the bottom when I push the shield.

I would rather replace each cone/tweet either with factory or upgraded, just to refresh it all.

My biggest fear is I'm not sure if I can or should actually try to do this myself or attempt to find a qualified tech.

Replacing speakers I'm sure I can do as it's just screws plug and play (I believe) the cross over is where I tend to be cautious.

Also, what were or are the main factors of those whom replaced with driver choices?
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Welcome to the room. You are at the right place for modifications as this place
    has some very smart people when it comes to Polk speakers and anything audio related.

Congrats on the inheritance..

• ltleo74
    Options
    Don,

I think I PM'ed you. Lease let me know if you got it or I did it wrong. Thank you
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    There's no reason to replace the midwoofers, or "cones" as you put it, if they're working. Only the tweeters.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Options
    Len, PM received and reply sent
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5