Dream Theater

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello everyone,
Any Dream Theater fans in here? I checked them out very briefly when they came out years ago and walked away thinking they over play and kinda boring here and there.
Fast forward to today and My e guitar teacher talked about them and suggested I should check them out again.
Well I stumbled on one of their new Songs from the new Album "The Astonishing" called " Our New World". I listened to this song and thought "Man this is a great song". So I purchased the new Album only to be hugely disappointed. My god how do you write a killer song like Our New World and have nothing else to support it or be anything like it on an Album with 34 songs? This album to me sucks badly.
I also Purchased the Greatest Hits album and honestly I love " Pull Me Under" which I find to be on par with " Our New World". The rest of the album nothing is sticking out to me. I gotta listen to it more and try and find some other cool songs.
There are 22 songs on it which now makes a total of 56 Dream Theater songs I own and so far I like 2.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    Side note for you Guitar player tone freaks , John's tone is incredible. It's very much like mine but with some different kinds of overtones and bite. He has a signature amp from Mesa Boogie called the JP-2C which I now need to go plug into. It seems way more flexible and versatile then my Krank Revolution 1 but also retains the incredible Clean and Drive that the Krank has plus a lot more.
    Dan
  • mantis
    "Home" is ok at best. It's got a little Alice n Chains feel to it for a minute but it kinda falls apart here and there. Forced might be the word I'm looking for. Like they had a cool idea but couldn't put it together. I'm not out but I'm also not real in.
    Dan
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    I came to a similar conclusion as you about Dream Theater many years ago. Some really great musicianship and abilities, but a bunch of really lame songs seem to be the majority in my opinion.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • mantis
    I swear this new album makes no sense other then a horrible Movie soundtrack of some Drugged up out there Sh&t.
    Dan
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    mantis wrote: »
    I swear this new album makes no sense other then a horrible Movie soundtrack of some Drugged up out there Sh&t.
    But what did you really think of the album, you have to let your true feelings show sometimes man... lol

IMO, Pull Me Under has a great intro, coupled with the worst ending to a song I really liked. I kinda like On The Backs of Angels too.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Cannot listen to this song without turning up the volume knob every time. Music in this song just takes me to a different place. https://youtu.be/dr0ebtzSeWM
    Randy/Maine
  • mantis
    polrbehr wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    But what did you really think of the album, you have to let your true feelings show sometimes man... lol

IMO, Pull Me Under has a great intro, coupled with the worst ending to a song I really liked. I kinda like On The Backs of Angels too.
    Your playing with fire if you want to know how I really Feel.

Dan
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Been a DT and Petrucci fan for a while. Have all their stuff on a big playlist... Some of the Live Covers are interesting/fun as well
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Been a Dream Theater Fan since Images and Words came out. However, the band is not the same since Mike Portnoy left. I prefer their older material from 6 Degrees back. I have road tripped a few times to see them. They are an awesome live band.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    o6xf9sny0j6f.jpg

This one is my favorite 1/2 studio 1/2 live covers they kill it on the Zeppelin medley and Elton Johns Funeral for a friend. I gave up on them after Portnoy left but they were a great band before his departure.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    I listen to and enjoy a lot of their stuff. A little goes a long way with them with me however. I'll listen to a few of their songs before it starts to grate on me than I'm good for a couple months. They are fantastic musicians but a lot of times it overpowers the flow and melody of the songs.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Sounds like you like their more mainstream stuff Mantis, if you're not into a more progressive sound they're probably not the band for you. I'm a big fan, travelled to multiple cities to see them including a show in NYC earlier this year, but they're not for everyone.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Been a Dream Theater Fan since Images and Words came out. However, the band is not the same since Mike Portnoy left. I prefer their older material from 6 Degrees back. I have road tripped a few times to see them. They are an awesome live band.
    To be fair they were already on a downward slide before Portnoy left, Octavarium had more bad than good as did Systematic Chaos and Black clouds.

• mantis
    Sounds like you like their more mainstream stuff Mantis, if you're not into a more progressive sound they're probably not the band for you. I'm a big fan, travelled to multiple cities to see them including a show in NYC earlier this year, but they're not for everyone.
    I'm a Metal guitar player and love the way John's tone sounds . It's what attracted me to this band in the first place. But I'm not into their Ballads and cheesy stuff they do on most of their albums that I've heard.
    I am a fan of Progressive music.
    Dan