Sub's been in storage for 6+ years, I'd like to safely roll it into my system . . .

Options
GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,085
I'm the original owner of a 22-year-old MK-100 self powered sub. Push-pull design 200 W
Exterior looks near perfect, the forward facing woofer looks great and from what I can tell, the upward facing driver that's mounted at the bottom of the cabinet looks good as well.

Now that I've moved the Polk 2.3TLs aside and am rolling the Salks, I want to give the sub woofer a whirl. The HT2s are claimed to go down to 34Hz, I wanna to go deeper

The owners manual cautions to not plug it in until all the other wiring connections are complete (there is no on/off switch, the amp is designed to stay energized 24-7)

Are there any precautions I should take prior to plugged her in?
Can I damage anything?

btw the PC is extremely thin, it's not much better than lamp cord. I think I'll try and make a major improvement there.

Thanks in advance

G
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    honestly I think you'll be fine. I would plug it in and check that it powers on before plugging cables into it. Then power it down, plug in your cables, and start with the volume low. The only thing that will happen is something in the subamp blows or the surround (if its foam) will disintegrate once that driver starts pulsing. But neither of these things will harm anything else in the system.

Fire her up!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Thanks RT
    Lately it's been 2 channel music/listening, if I can get 2.1 going, I may set up some satellites and a center
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    If memory serves, for the longest time I had just one RCA connector, I think to the left channel Only
    does that sound right? mono signal does not need 2 ICs
    I shouldn't need both left and right ICs is that correct? LEFT RCA input only on the sub?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    "rooftop59 wrote: »
    I would plug it in and check that it powers on before plugging cables into it.

That sounded OK at first but I'm thinking that if the internal amp does not see a load, it's gonna blow gasket, smoke, sizzle and cause bad things

Anybody?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    "rooftop59 wrote: »
    I would plug it in and check that it powers on before plugging cables into it.

That sounded OK at first but I'm thinking that if the internal amp does not see a load, it's gonna blow gasket, smoke, sizzle and cause bad things

Anybody?

Know I power on sub Amps all the time with no signal, shouldn't be a problem.

If you are running true two channel out of a preamp or amp with loop out, you NEED to run both channels, left and right, or you will only get half the signal.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • GlennDog
    edited August 2016
    Options
    True 2 channel?
    I know not of what you speak . . .
    Why on earth woulda a preamp not run "true 2 channel"?
    it's not a "close n' play" system . . . decent mid-fi
    Please clarify, TY
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Have an older MX-100 that had sat idle for several years and only problem I had was surround crumbled after a week of use. Parts Express repaired it cheaply and it is in a friends system where it performs well. Clearly the best sub I've owned yet.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I never used it to send a sig to the sats, but if I can iron out my present issues, I'll be heading down that road!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12