Can you identify IC signal flow direction in ancient cables ...

I want to connect a sub that has been not used in several years w/ equally old IC cables

it's a long run from my preamp out to the amplifier IN connection on the sub, so I'll be connecting same manufacture left and right IC to the left and same OEM left/right to the right input

Obviously, one IC pictured is audio quest
I'm not sure of the other one, but IIRC one of the two is of the "cinnamon" variety

On the top set in pic
Do I connect the one double black band to single red band?

And on the other set connect to Red band to White band?

3sfbq27xp3kk.jpeg
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Most cables I've owned have no direction of flow, only MIT that I know of. I think either pair is fine.

My other post was merely meant to indicate that u need to run a pair of rcas from the preamp to the sub, both left and right, not simply a single rca.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    If the cables are directional, you will see an arrow on the jacket on the way the signal should flow. If they don't have arrows then don't worry about it, just hook them up.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • Obviously the audio signal flows both ways. It would sound bad if one half cycle sounded different than the other.
    But shields are sometimes directional. If a shield is only connected at one end, that end should be the send end. Unless it's a phone cartridge cable, then the shield connects to the pre-amp.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Those cables should not matter most directional have the shield lifted on one end. Those should be old enough that it wasn't common practice in that era.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    One mystery solved . . . the AQuest double banded end is the #2 end and the
    single band is the #1 end.
    Number 1 attaches to the output of the sending equipment

Glad I save stuff...
    The darker colored IC is an AQ Ruby 2 meter IC, circa 95
    I also have an AQ Turquoise same vintage, 1 meter
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos