3 Inch thick cement ceiling - installing speakers

I am putting MC80 speakers in the cement ceiling. Haven't purchased yet. Ceiling is 3in thick then it is hollow.
I realized the dog ears don't extend beyond an inch or so. I thought about replacing the screws which the dog ears are attached to and putting in say 3 1/2 inch screws.
Does anyone know if this would work? Oh, and did I mention I am doing this in Mexico? as such, I have to carry speakers down to Mex and don't have any room to be wrong.

thanks!

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You would have to trim back the white plastic guide for the dog ear flange
    See attached pdf I made up
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • johnon
    johnon Posts: 2
    Txcoastal1,

Great response!!

So I trim that back then the dog ears can extend beyond that limit (with my 3 1/2 inche screws) is what I understand. Any idea why they have that plastic limit there? Is it creating resistance so under normal conditions you can snug it back to the drywall? Any risk that I won't be able to "snug" the dog ears back without that plastic limit because they are kind of floating, if that makes sense.

Thanks! and double thanks for taking the time to make a mock up!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    The design ensures the dog ears turn and stay in the proper position (outward) when you start tightening the screws (with a normal ceiling). It won't do that with longer screws. Any chance you could position some wood above the hole and screw directly into it? This job is going to call for some good improv skills.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    mdaudioguy is correct
    The plastic not only guides it but it allows you to drive the screw into the dog ear
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a